PDA

View Full Version : How deep can I go without any snorkel's....?

Jeff
01-12-2002, 03:27 PM
I was just wondering how deep in water you can go without a snorkel and without tearing anything up at all? I have been through a creek at my house that was up to the fenders and over the tailpipe, is that bad??

01-12-2002, 05:07 PM
it's not good for the frame bushings and seals and if you stall that thing with the tailpipe under water your screwed cause the water will get sucked into the quad and you'll have to remove the spark plug before you can even try to start it again or you can get hydrolic lock and bend your rod. Thats expensive. It's really not worth the fun.

01-12-2002, 05:59 PM
if you did have it over the tail pipe, good luck having a running quad.

DEAL
01-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Exactly water kills your bearings, chain and sprockets. I used to ride in water but soon gave it up after i saw what it was doing to my bike and said no more.
Don't you have a Bayou 220 and a Recon that you could be riding in the water instead of your 400ex?

Tommy 17
01-12-2002, 09:25 PM
racing quads really aren't made to go into creeks or cricks but like a grizzly is made to do taht stuff thats why u see people with those quads completly under water and not 400exs like that...

honda350r
01-13-2002, 12:05 AM
Any quad that goes under water is junk! Keep them dry they will last alot longer if you do ! Hey, do what you want with them it 's your money....jim

"BLAHH"300!!
01-13-2002, 05:41 AM
but to answer your question of..how deep you can go under water....you can go up to your air box lid......unless you have a hole in your air-box that is lower than that..i know mine has a hole in the bottom of it..so if i were to go under water i could go up to the bottom of my air-box.....the tail pipe going under water is ok...as long as you keep atleast a hair of gas on it to keep exhaust going out.that way the water wont come in...if it dies over the tail pipe...then it's like "LRD-250R" said your screwed....you would have to drain the oil and reafill it a few times untill it didn't look all milky...white...if your bike is hot when you enter water to abruptly it will put a shock on the moter.(kinda like taking a red hot glass and submerging it all at once..shatter's it) and thats where the second half of "LRD 250R"'s post comes in..it will seize your engine..although....we went ridin' around here when the river was up.with a bayou 220 a honda 200 and me on a timberwolf..all 2wd....the guy on the honda sunk his completly on accident....we had to drag him back to dry land...220 in front pulling me"timberwolf" in back pushing....when he hit dry gravel he put it in 4th gear..the 220 took off with him and he poped it in gear..shot water out the tail pipe about 5 /10 feet.kinda funny ya know....he got it runnin. we checked the oil and it was fine..just like it never touched water..."(must be couse it's a honda") :D ...but i wouldn't try it on a 400ex...i did see a worior ride doown a creek and go off a drop off..sunk his..and his oil was nasty white and brown..had to change everything -plug and oil ..to get it back streight again...it all just depends.....

Jeff
01-13-2002, 08:38 AM
Haha, you guys got me all wrong, I WAS talking about my Recon and my Bayou, NOT my 400ex! There's no way I would take my 400 through that kind of stuff....

"BLAHH"300!!
01-13-2002, 09:02 AM
it all just depends on where an opening is on your air-box...
don't go any deeper...

ZMAN
11-14-2002, 06:56 PM
bump

2K1 300EX
11-14-2002, 07:43 PM
I've had my Timberwolf all most over the seat and had to jump off and let it float so water wouldn't get in the air box. I have an opening right below the lid, so about 3 inches of my seat showing is as deep as I go in water.

Rip_Tear
11-14-2002, 08:28 PM
I've had my TRX 300 4x4 up to the top of the fenders. The furest I can go is up there. You really should let it go over your exhaust...

On a 400ex, you just go fast enough to hydroplane, DUH! :)

lildude
11-14-2002, 08:32 PM
i had our recon in water over the seat once. As for my 400 ive had it to about the fenders goin upstream. and all you gotta do is dont let off the gas so the pipe doesnt suck water.

we were riding this pos suzuki in the water and it came after me and my dad stalled it in the middle so we hooked it up and pulled it out and it had been sittin with pipe under water for like 2 minutes but all was ok with it except when it started it sprayed water out the pipe for about 2 minutes like a jet-ski or somthin

Conwaymx
09-19-2005, 10:50 AM
I've been up past racks , but it rolled over in the water and it died
:) :) :D