PDA

View Full Version : 400ex ram air?

badass400ex
01-12-2002, 02:24 PM
has anyone ever got the idea to extend the airbox duct to in front of the motor for a ram air type effect i was thinking about this and figured i would see if anyone has tried this and what the results are i know it would only help the top end and would not affect the bottom and mid i was just wondering if putting sportbike technoligy into a quad would work mayby this would keep us a little closer to a banshee in those ocasions you get on top end with one

Tommy 17
01-12-2002, 02:58 PM
mayb we should contact pontiac and they can give us some info with there trans am....:D

Juggalo
01-12-2002, 05:42 PM
it should work in theory but heres why it won't. with the dusty terrain a quad rides in it would be very bad for your quad to suck in that much dust. thats why there hasn't ever been ram air on snowmobiles (except for that new yamaha and they have some special set up) cuz they would get clogged with snow.

Matt Fisher
01-12-2002, 08:08 PM
No reason why it wouldn't work. You'd need to run the vent lines into the airbox. If you actually got some positive pressure in the airbox and didn't run the lines in there, it could actually force fuel out of the float bowl (not likely), or at the least would make it run lean.

Since the stock intake is rather convoluted, you probably won't get much positive pressure. In general, the front center of a vehicle is the highest perssure area. Using something like dryer ducting to experiment will also cut down on the effectiveness due to the ribs causing turbulance. However, it's a cheap way to get an answer.