PDA

View Full Version : Tool to gauge chain stretch?

Ex'r Marlin
06-25-2003, 07:39 AM
I do not know about the rest of you, but I am finding that I need to adjust my chain almost after every hard ride or race now.

Anyway, is there an easy way to check if the chain is out of spec. or if there is a tool to use to check if the chain has stretched too much??

wilkin250r
06-25-2003, 09:47 AM
I could me mistaken, but I think a repair manual has that info, but I can't verify it because I don't have mine in front of me. It's basically, if "N" number of links is longer than "X" inches, the chain is bad...

Bill Fuller
06-25-2003, 10:10 AM
If you are thinking the chain is stretched than it probabley is,when is the last time you replaced it?My guess would be the axle bearings are going bad giving you alot of play.If you haven't replaced the chain it could also be the sprokets are worn,replace them if you replace the chain or it will wear out your new chain rather quickley.

chad502ex
06-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
I do not know about the rest of you, but I am finding that I need to adjust my chain almost after every hard ride or race now.

Anyway, is there an easy way to check if the chain is out of spec. or if there is a tool to use to check if the chain has stretched too much??

I've seen where the axle bearing wear out and cause the axle to move and make ya think that the chain is stretching. If I were you, I'd put my quad on a jack stand and check the axle bearing play, just to be sure....

:)

Chad502EX.com

Ex'r Marlin
06-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys!

If I remember right, the manual states to use a ruler to measure the distance. I was hoping for a "go, no-go gauge" that I can quickly check to see if the chain is stretched too much.:confused:

I did check for any axle/bearing wobble, the tappered axle carrier is holding up great!:) Great advise though!!

I checked the sprockets, they still look great after I replaced the chain and both sprockets a few months ago.:) Something that definetly needs to be looked periodically.

Note: This is the 4th DID X-ring I have had... No failures, but I always change the sprockets and chain when I see the front sprocket wear out, or if I feel the chain has stretched too much. I guess I never want to have a chain failure out on the trails or race.:D

Anyway, since I got the 416 kit, I have had to adjust the slack out of the chain routinely now... I guess I will check the manual for directions how to measure the chain.

Thanks again guys!:)

JOEX
06-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Any chance the carrier is slipping in the swingarm?
Maybe put a mark on the carrier and swingarm. Like a line across both. Ride it like you normally do then check to see if the marks are still lined up.
Just a suggestion:)

Joe

Ex'r Marlin
06-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks Joe... I have not done that yet!:eek:

joeroadking
06-26-2003, 12:10 AM
after verifying tha your swingarm bearings and axle bearings are good check the chain first off if your chain is more than a couple seasons old it would be worth repalcing with a quilty aftermarket o ring chain, some of the cheaper ones actually do streach quite often always replace your sprockets as well at this time if needed, a good way to see if the chain is junk that I have always used is pop off the master link and lye the chain flat streached out on the ground pins facing up pick it up with a hand on both ends with pins facing you and if it bends like a c it is way streached you will notice on a new chain there is very little arch but on one thats junk you can bend it way over, it would be so much easier to show than explain in any case if there is even a question replce it , cheap insurance, no body wants a blown case from chain coming off .

wilkin250r
06-26-2003, 04:13 AM
Your 4th DID chain? I'd send an e-mail to DID and ask them about it, you should not be goign through chains that fast.

If you are really going through chains and sprockets that fast, I'd suggest and upgrade to Sidewinder, their Ti-Moly sprockets and chain, ver expensive, but probably cheaper for you in the long run.

I know when I first got my DID chain installed, I had to adjust it 4 times within a week. Just taking the newness out of it, I guess.

RytM1
06-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Make sure that the chain is adjusted properly also. If it's too tight, you will eat up chains in no time.