PDA

View Full Version : anyone try to build there own muffler??

slow4ex
06-25-2003, 06:21 AM
just wondering how hard it could be for a 400?? i was thinking about shortening the stock muffler by 6 inch's and add perferated pipe straight through and fiberglass packing.
what do you guys think?
am i crazy?
andy

4wheelboy
06-25-2003, 06:27 AM
in your sig it seems like u already did it:confused:

slow4ex
06-25-2003, 06:32 AM
i put the quite core back in the end cap so it is just a little louder than stock. i want more sound, but still want it to sound good. and if i shorten it, run 1 1/2 inch perf. pipe through and put a turn down out the back- i think it will still sound good(not tin cannish)!!
but i don't know, i was just wondering if any one else had tried it???
andy

Jekyl_22
06-25-2003, 06:34 AM
I took over 8 1/2 inches off the stock silencer and took out everything inside it (including packing). It is completely freeflowing except it can still take the stock spark arrestor if I choose to put it in. But by putting in the spark arrestor, it takes away a lot of the noise and the power. It is VERY loud. It is way louder than a Banshee, but I usually only ride with the spark arrestor out at the dunes.

I know about the whole "backpressure" thing. A lot of you may think that it should run crappy, but it doesn't. It runs really good and gain a good amount of power from my "modification". I will try and take a picture oof it sometime.

slow4ex
06-25-2003, 06:36 AM
that would be cool, post a pic if you can, i'd like to see what that looks like.
thanks
andy

knighttime
06-25-2003, 06:44 AM
use an old coffee can :eek2:

06-25-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
use an old coffee can :eek2:

Already did and the power is unreal over stock...

Sounds like a blackhawk helicoptor when it's idling..:eek:

MOFO
06-25-2003, 08:58 AM
LMFAO!

Just when you thought you've seen all there is to see.... someone shows you different....

I suppose the coffee can exhaust would work well... does wonders for the Civic crowd. :eek:

Narly R
06-25-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
I took over 8 1/2 inches off the stock silencer and took out everything inside it (including packing). It is completely freeflowing except it can still take the stock spark arrestor if I choose to put it in. But by putting in the spark arrestor, it takes away a lot of the noise and the power. It is VERY loud. It is way louder than a Banshee, but I usually only ride with the spark arrestor out at the dunes.

YAY its really loud!!!!! It hurts me ears! No it sounds cool!!! :devil:

wilkin250r
06-25-2003, 09:43 AM
All we need now is "Dueling Banjos" in the background...

Natertot426ex
06-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Already did and the power is unreal over stock...

Sounds like a blackhawk helicoptor when it's idling..:eek:

I knew that picture would come up:D

06-25-2003, 11:24 AM
LOL RICO...u cant tell me u ride with that LOL

Scott-300ex
06-25-2003, 01:43 PM
to me, modding a stock pipe would only make it louder and not give it a power gain, unless you get lucky

companies like White Brothers and FMF, ect. spend a lot of time and money to get there pipes correct and give it more power bottom or top, they do tests and changes, and know just how much restriction to give it

now if you gut and mod your own pipe, i would think unless you get lucky you won't really make much power unless you know what to do and have a dyno and/or, try different things untill it is better,

something that supports this is when i rebuilt my grandpa's moped, i was bored so i took the muffler off, it only had a top speed of about 10, but when it was on it went 27 (im serious)
all it needed was the backpreassure, but it sounded awsome and was loud a a mofo when it was off, like a harley:eek:

and also, i know loud pipes sound cool, but they get annoying after riding all day, and it just annoys them d@mn atv haters, and puts us on there bad list:grr:

but i will admit, they do sound sweet

wow, this was my longest post ever:ermm:

slow4ex
06-25-2003, 02:48 PM
thanks for the help?!?
andy