PDA

View Full Version : Hone?

pineway
06-25-2003, 02:43 AM
I am getting a 11.1 wiseco high comp piston stock bore. I heard you have to hone the cylinder. What exactly is this? Does it need to be done? Thanks for any responses.

SlapNutz
06-25-2003, 03:07 AM
makes smooth :mad: :macho :scary:

UglyMotha™
06-25-2003, 03:09 AM
anytime you replace rings you are suppose to hone your cylinder honeing is just where you rough up the wall of the cylinder kinda like turning it into a file then when you fire it up it will file your rings so thy take the shape of your cylinder for a better seal also called seating your rings then the cylinder will smooth back out

Pappy
06-25-2003, 03:10 AM
lol...slappy is right..sort of:blah:

a hone will deglaze the cylinder wall. it is a tool that when used will leave very fine cross hatch scratches in the cylinder. if im not mistaken this will aid in breaking in the rings....allowing them to wear the cylinder and the rings in unison.

F-16Guy
06-25-2003, 03:22 AM
You can buy a small engine hone from your local parts store. Wiseco recommends using a brush type hone. Using the hone chucked in a drill, hone the cylinder in even, rythmic up and down strokes. Use a good amount of penetrating oil while honing, it will remove debris and lubricate the cylinder wall. You're looking to achieve a uniform crosshatched appearance. The cylinder wall should also have a satin finish (all of the glossy smooth surface roughed up). If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, a small engine shop will probably do it fo around $10.

400exbiggun
06-25-2003, 03:24 AM
yup yup yup, what he said, took mine to the dealer, and only charged $5.30 to hone the blaster cylinder, i believe that is less than the price of the hone alone.

F-16Guy
06-25-2003, 03:31 AM
Yeah, it's cheaper to take it somewhere, but the experience you gain is worth much more than $5.30.:cool:

pineway
06-25-2003, 03:50 AM
How much does it cost around for a hone? Also what type of penetrating oil do you recommend? Im leaning towards doing it myself just for the expierence but i need some help. Thanks.

400exbiggun
06-25-2003, 04:08 AM
correct me someone if i am wrong, but i believe we bought one at advacned autos, for like $20+tax, that is the one with the stones though.
yeah we got one, if you plan on doing more than one motor, then it is worth the cost. we did my blaster once on the second top end , and the ktm also. It is really easy, just take your time, and keep measuring to make sure it is all straight. It is a little easier if you have a drill press also, but we just used a power drill too.

White_Knuckles
06-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Honing (with cutting oil) leaves debris that should be flushed out with a dish soap and water mixture when complete. Then blast her with your air gun and wipe the cylinder clean with white rags.

Add a squirt of WD-40 if it's sitting on your bench for awhile.

pineway
06-25-2003, 01:55 PM
How should the finish look when it is done? Also has anyone done this before? Is it difficult to do? thanks

400exbiggun
06-25-2003, 02:12 PM
its easy, get it on a bucket, so you don't get oil every where. Take your time, don't have the drill going too quick though, make sure there is enough oil to lube it, go slowly in a up and down motion, be sure to do full strokes. when it is done, you will see little like scratches (i guess you can call it that) that run up and down in a spiral motion. you can tell when you have a good crosshatch. Then wash it with water with alot of soap, and the hottest water.
BE SURE TO TOTALLY DRY IT SOON, IT RUSTS VERY FAST, then you will have to do it all over again.
so be sure that you do full up then down, up, down,up,down.
not to fast not to slow
got it....good

pineway
06-25-2003, 03:28 PM
thanks for the help. The dealer by me wants to charge 250 to bore and around 50 to hone the cylinder. Biggest rip off. Im gonna do it my self though.

400exbiggun
06-25-2003, 03:33 PM
250:eek2: ya gotta be ****tin me, my yama dealer only charged $41 for the bore, and they are rip offs. If i was you i would:cuss: and then storm out. dealers are sutch pri%k$, mine, i can be waiting at the parts counter for 10min until someone comes, i call for help, and the service just says, i didn't do the job, so i can not help, and then if i drop the quad off, they don't look at it for 2 weeks, until i call everyday "umm. i dropped off my quad 2 weeks ago....yeah we will get some one to look at it no" yeah right

pineway
06-25-2003, 03:37 PM
yeah i walked in and asked about a 400ex. There trying to sell it to me for the msrp (5699) plus tax out the door. I almost fell down laughing. Not that the 400 is a bad quad beacuse id love to have one, but with everything else on the market now there price has dropped in most dealers. PLace is a joke. If anyone lives in Pa near philadelphia its east coast cycle center in bensalem.

400exbiggun
06-26-2003, 03:00 AM
wow dude, the place that i mentioned is not even that bad, my friend got a 2002 le raptor for the cost of that ex, he was gona get the ex, but how can you pass that deal up:rolleyes: