PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Cam Chain

Sandragggen
01-12-2002, 08:34 AM
With the extensive mods that I'm doing, is it necessary to install a heavy duty cam chain in a 400EX? I am going to put in a new cam chain because I'm trying to eleminate any problems that might arise from worn parts, but at the same time I don't want to spend foolishly. Is there that much tention on the cam chain that would warrant a heavy duty cam chain for $100?

Jay

Leo
01-12-2002, 08:59 AM
From the looks of all the HD valvetrain parts you have in there I think a HD cam chain would probably be a good investment..

You might be able to get by keeping a close eye on chain wear, but with the amount you've already invested why take a chance?

Leo

Taco
01-12-2002, 11:46 AM
i believe i remember Gabe (86ATC250r) saying that he purchased a heavy duty cam chain from Curtis Sparks so you might wanna give them a call

Dave400ex
01-12-2002, 12:06 PM
Sparks does sell Heavy Duty Cam Chains. They are $100.

86atc250r
01-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Yes, I replaced my chain with the one Sparks sells...

I had to replace it because the stock one was stretched beyond the limit.

The one Sparks sells is the same manufacturer as stock, only the plates are thicker.

I'm sure it's an OEM chain for something - if a person could figure out what it is, I'm sure they could save a fair amount of money.... $100 is awfully steep for what you're getting, but you really don't have many choices as far as stronger chains go.

Sandragggen
01-12-2002, 11:51 PM
It looks like I'm getting the Sparks cam chain. As Leo mentioned why take the risk. $100 now could save me many $$$ down the road. Thanks for your responses.

Off the subject abit...Tim Farr took 1st place at the Trans World Dome in St. Louis Saturday night. Dana Creech took 2nd overall. Both won their heat race. Oh yea..the Gravedigger won 1st place to.

Jay