PDA

View Full Version : rattle in my motor?

D-4our
06-24-2003, 05:25 PM
ok, my quad (250r) is running as good as it always has but now there is some sort of rattle coming from it. it sorta makes the quad sound like a deisel engine and gets louder as i rev. it. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? Piston? radiator? gas mixture? any help will be appreciated, thanks.

310Rduner
06-24-2003, 06:16 PM
could be piston slap?

if it starts to sound kind of like a whistling sound.. it may be your counter balancer bearings.

310Rduner
06-24-2003, 06:17 PM
its not just the normal type sound that the R makes right? i know no matter what there is always a bit of sound coming from it near idle, but after that it should be gone.

dont know if that helps much:ermm:

D-4our
06-24-2003, 06:35 PM
I'll rev the motor and just as it starts to slow to idle i hear the rattle and it goes away.

bsf150
06-25-2003, 01:13 AM
My R does that too. So does my Banshee at idle, everything on both my quads are in great running order so I don't really worry about. Besides they both a pretty fresh rebuilds in them.

nismo
06-25-2003, 02:10 AM
my 250x does that too not while i am on the gas tho so i just said if it breaks it breaks but i have had it sound like this for a year so i dont think its a big deal

hondamxer161
06-25-2003, 05:13 AM
check all the motor mount bolts, headstay, and check the headstay for cracks. im bettin on the counterbalancer bearing, on the flywheel side of the motor. i just had to do mine, i rode it while it was bad for a couple races, and it cracked my headstay in half!
get the hinson cb bearing holder. way stronger than stock.

mike

UglyMotha™
06-25-2003, 05:46 AM
maybe your hamster fell of it's wheel, can you hear any screamin :confused2

D-4our
06-25-2003, 06:35 AM
thanx for all the help, and no uglymotha, my hamster is still in there.

Im only concerned because it never rattled like that until now

methyman
06-25-2003, 02:46 PM
My R was rattling and kinda knocking and I rebuilt the counter balance because it was bad. The rattling went away but knock was still there and it was the lower connecting rod bearing on the crank. I wouldnt ride it till you fix it. It might cost you more money if it breaks before you fix it. I learned the hard way.
I hope you find it A.S.A.P.

Later

Matthew

D-4our
07-03-2003, 02:24 PM
ok, i determined the rattle is coming from the right case where the clutch plates are ... i opened it up and i found a little pile of metal shavings in the very bottom corner, also when i drained the oil there was little metal particles in the oil. I have yet to determine exacltly where the shavings come from, does anybody have any idea? oh i almost forgot, is it normal for the kickstart shaft or whatever to move around when you grab it? I know im an idiot

Thanx

D-4our
07-04-2003, 04:24 AM
bumb