PDA

View Full Version : crf450 in 250r frame??????????????????

Davemx250r
06-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Hey iv got a luvvins 250r frame. And iv heard rumors here and there that a crf450 would fit in it. But the yz426 wont cuz the crf has a uni-cam and makes the head narrow enough to fit between the frame rails. Is this true? will a crf450 fit in there with out any MAJOR frame mods. i mean i know knew mounts and junk and other stuff but other than that?

QuadRacer041
06-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Davemx250r
Hey iv got a luvvins 250r frame. And iv heard rumors here and there that a crf450 would fit in it. But the yz426 wont cuz the crf has a uni-cam and makes the head narrow enough to fit between the frame rails. Is this true? will a crf450 fit in there with out any MAJOR frame mods. i mean i know knew mounts and junk and other stuff but other than that?

from what i understand the crf450 wont fit either, it can be done but shouldnt due to the fact the the R frame isnt high enough, you need to lean the crf motor to far on an angle forward.

JessetheKid
06-25-2003, 08:40 AM
I know i guy here that races locally he has a 450 in his stock 86 frame the thing had to be hacked all up to make it fix cuz of the hight of the motor this thing hauls but the frame was cuz to peices man.

This is the only pic i could find where u can kinda c the motor and it isnt a good one either

http://ohioquadracing.com/viewpicture.php?gallery=Summit&id=29

OutlawEX
06-25-2003, 09:11 AM
I personally wouldnt want to put a motor with that much torque in a stock R frame. The frames are very week and designed for the 250 power out put. That 450 will be torqing the crap out of that frame

Davemx250r
06-25-2003, 09:57 AM
lol nono it wouldnt go in a stock frame, the frame i have is a 2002 luvvins but its for a 250r, couldnt the head of the 450 fit between the frame rails? then you could like make some brackets to make the gas tank move up higher for more room. I dont see what would be wrong with making it lean forward to clear the rails.

400exBro
06-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Davemx250r
lol nono it wouldnt go in a stock frame, the frame i have is a 2002 luvvins but its for a 250r, couldnt the head of the 450 fit between the frame rails? then you could like make some brackets to make the gas tank move up higher for more room. I dont see what would be wrong with making it lean forward to clear the rails.

i think they don't want to lean an engine forward becuase there will be a lack of oil at the rear of the engine, becuase of gravity, the oil will want to flow to the front of the engine, and you will get problems with stuff seizing up on you... sure it has an oil pump(i believe) it still won't get all the luberaction possible...
Correct me if i am wrong, but this how i see it^

and another thing, why build something that is already being built?? yzf450!!!??:huh

Davemx250r
06-25-2003, 10:18 AM
oh ok i get the leaning thing now, what bout fittin it between the frame rails with the gas tank spaced up. and what do you mean build sumtin thats being built? dude were talkin crf450 here... sides that new yfz450 is ****, my buddy that rides A class national was talkin to doug gust and he said they've already had one frame crack on them, plus the yfz's are detuned, and plus their not completly race raceready. and i aint gunna buy one period, im stuck on hondas.

hellrazer4565
06-25-2003, 10:42 AM
im picking up my 250r frame to night im starting to build a crf 450 or yz426 il keep u posted on what i know

400exBro
06-25-2003, 10:42 AM
ya i know what you are saying about, buying instead of building.. when you build you get a lot more of better products... plus more power, but if you race that 450 will have to be detunes any ways unless you are in the open class...
Forum, recently told me that he rather would of bought the yamaha 450 now or the New CRF 450 (hint hint) that is going to be released soon, over his built 426.. he said it took to much time and money, and almost isn't worth it becuase with some mods that 450 is able to compete with the 426, i stress maybe becuase it is more rider then the ,machine... Don't get me wrong he loves it, and it has tons of power... i was going to build one but instead i am going to build up the yzf450...

i am sure the fuel tank thingy would work but the front will have to be lifted as well inorder for the fuel to run to the carb...

Davemx250r
06-25-2003, 11:07 AM
i got a better idea, how much you think a 2002 250r luvvins frame is worth with 2 nation races on it is all? cuz i can get a new style lone star 450 frame from a guy for 2100.

JessetheKid
06-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Well man if u can get it to work in your R frame i would keep it because the lonestar frames use the 400ex geometry i beleive ( not posative) so u will have to buy all new parts again man.

Davemx250r
06-25-2003, 02:04 PM
Ok, so how much you guys think a 2002 luvvins frame is worth?

Scottie Mac
06-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Lonestar makes a 450 Yamaha or Honda frame in the 400ex and the 250R Geometry. As far as the frame goes, if you have the frame and swingarm, I think it is worth about 1900. For the frame by itself, I was thinking 1600.

Good luck. I am in the middle of building a full Lonestar 426, and I can tell you one thing, it is a pain in the ***** and you always find things that you are going to have to buy or build. If I could do it all over agian, I would buy one already finished.

Scott

400exBro
06-26-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac

Good luck. I am in the middle of building a full Lonestar 426, and I can tell you one thing, it is a pain in the ***** and you always find things that you are going to have to buy or build. If I could do it all over agian, I would buy one already finished.

Scott

^^^ that is what i was trying to get at... why build something that is already, or is going to be built...
if you don't want a factory built one, look on ebay or go to races and you will always find nice yzf 426 or crf 450 in 250r or 400ex frames, and it will be a lot cheapier... trust me i looked into it my self, and relezied it takes to much time, stress and money... and if you miss a little thing, that has a major role it can screw up all the time you just spent....

but if you prefer to build go ahead, i ain't stopping you... i would just rethink the whole idea first... i have seen some nice 426 in lonestar frame go for about $10 000 axis lt shock all around... it was a true steal, it had to been worht more...