PDA

View Full Version : someone please help i need bike for race tomorrow

wanaraceme
06-24-2003, 03:16 PM
hey i took my engine apart from top end to bottom end. and i started it and it just doesnt sound right. could it be the decompressor, timing or do i need to adjust the valves. any answer would be good. thanx

GNCC#829
06-24-2003, 03:28 PM
We are probably gonna need more info than "it doesn't sound right"

Chanman420q
06-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by GNCC#829
We are probably gonna need more info than "it doesn't sound right"

yea man hes right...... did u change anything? info man info

wanaraceme
06-24-2003, 04:59 PM
yea all i changed was the head and crankcase gasket, its like a kinda ticking noise sounds like its coming from the right side or the head, like if it was the right exhaust valves or something im really not sure, my ex manual said something bout the decompressor lockin up or not lockin up right, im not sure please write back thanx abunch

Diedrich
06-24-2003, 07:05 PM
could be the decompressor or the valves. check the valves. they're easy to check

Bill Fuller
06-25-2003, 02:42 AM
It's the decompresser the valves are set on tdc with the decompreeer engaged.Probabley sounds like a sewing machine.

wanaraceme
06-25-2003, 01:01 PM
thanks men now i know its the decompressor i figured thats what it was, now what do i do about it do i need to take the head off and adjust it somekinda way or can i wiggle it from the left crankcase nut. please somemore help id appreciate it.

Scott-300ex
06-25-2003, 01:32 PM
maybe you left a screw driver in there:(

:p j/k, that would really suck

Bill Fuller
06-26-2003, 02:24 AM
All you have to do is adjust the valves.Take all the plastic off remove tank and other obstructions and the top of the motor will be expossed.Take the valve caps off and bingo loosen the tappets and get you a feeler gage.If you have never done this before it is a simple process that requires some patience and minimal hand tools.

bone705
06-26-2003, 07:59 AM
we had that a noise like that from my friends 300. we thought it was the valves to. so we adjusted them and still made it. the noise ended up being the cam bolts were loose.

cheetah
06-26-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
maybe you left a screw driver in there

LOL I was working on mine once and I stuck a penny in the starter gears so they wouldn't turn when I spun the flywheel. I was trying to get the case back on when my dad came in a saw the penny in there. That would have sucked big time.:o