PDA

View Full Version : A little 300ex help plz

dirtmomma
06-24-2003, 02:36 PM
OK well I went up a tooth on my front sprocket & now I couldn't get the case saver that the chain rides on to fit w/ the new one.....no room:confused: Do any of you have a different sproket on the front & did you have to take the saver off???? I took it off but it makes me nervous if my chain breaks it'll crack the case, but it is a new DID but still. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Kym:)

darrell43031
06-24-2003, 02:56 PM
yes i've had this problem. you have 3 choices that i could think of

1. take the case saver off

2. grind the case saver till the chain fits. but it loses it strenth and the saver might break and still break your case

3. put the stock sproket back on and put 2 size smaller teeth on the back sproket i think thats right

hope this helps

bradley300
06-24-2003, 03:06 PM
i vote for number 3.

if it makes you feel better, the spot where the chain would hit the case is hollow, so you get one freebie.

exrider360
06-25-2003, 12:59 AM
hey bradley could you post a pic of your 300

bsf150
06-25-2003, 01:10 AM
I know about the hollow space where the chain hits. It did it on my 87 250X. I would change out the rear sprocket too.

dirtmomma
06-25-2003, 08:42 AM
OK thanx everyone.......the hubby's exact words were "do you want a race quad or what??" :o so for now I'm leaving the casesaver off cuz I just put a new rear on so next time I need to change gearing I'll probably get a different rear & put the stock front back on who knows!!!:) I guess thats a good thing about the hollow spot;)

Scott-300ex
06-25-2003, 02:08 PM
put the case saver on!!!!

wouldn't you rather spend a little money on your case saver than to have to get a whole new motor?

a long time ago there was a thread and it showed a pic of this guys engine, his chain broke and the hole bottom end was useless

buying a new case saver would probably cost less than a new rear sprocket so i would go for the saftey of it especially since you already got the 14 tooth

to me it is worth spending more time on it and be safe then not worry about it and have something happen

dirtmomma
06-26-2003, 04:16 AM
Well thanks Scott, I just don't know what to do now I suppose when I get some extra $$ I'll have to get a new rear sprocket. Now your making me paranoid:eek: