PDA

View Full Version : RECON ENGINE HELP!

400exJOE
01-11-2002, 03:04 PM
hey guys. Well I finally took the jug off the recon and it has some good scars in the cylinder. The piston also is scraped up on the sides. The rings are all in place, but they seem to be pretty worn away. So do you still think it wasn't getting compression from what l described? Anyways, l think it will have to be bored and a new piston kit. Now for the questions: Does this seem like why it wouldn't start? Also, this is my first time taking an engine apart. How do you remove the wrist pin to get the piston off? Finally, the quad is a 98 and its been used and abused. Does it need new valves, cam, rockers, lifters...? There is a kid that I know whose pretty obnoxious and he said that every thing in the engine should be replaced. He's not right is he? Thanks a lot and sorry for making that so long!;)

400exJOE
01-11-2002, 05:42 PM
:( a little help?

Tommy 17
01-11-2002, 05:51 PM
to take out the wrist pin on a piston i know on a 2-stroke lookin into the holes where it slides through the piston u will see a cir clip push it together and pull it out and it should come right out... i dunno if thats how a recons is but thats how my 80s and all the other bikes around here are... hope i could help TOMMY

9300EX
01-11-2002, 07:27 PM
400ex21 is correct. If you look in the hole where the piston pin is look closely you will see a circlip. it looks like a circle that is not complete. Use a pick or somthing to pull it out. There is one on each side. You might want ot have a valve job done if the bike has really been beat on like you said. Its not to much more expence and it will make the entire motor tight again. I doubt very much that you need to do any thing with the bottom end after all its a honda. Just do the top end over and you will be fine (that is if that is what your original problem was) good luck and keep askin for help thats how ya learn:D. Almost forgot take a good look at your camshaft and rockers if they have any scoring or chips or nicks or look really worn have them replaced

stevengates45
01-11-2002, 07:56 PM
If the cylinder is scarred, depending on how deep it was scared, that should be why it wouldnt start. But on the other hand my blaster was scared really bad & it would run for a little while & then go dead. Anywho, I would take the cylinder & head to ur shop & let them look at it themselves if u dont know that much about motors.

TrengaBlaster3
01-12-2002, 04:57 PM
i took out one of the cir clips but the wrist pin is off to one side so it is blocking the other cir clip. i tryed banging it out of the way but i believe its seized in there. any ideas on how to bang it out?

9300EX
01-12-2002, 05:08 PM
if the piston is trash anyway grab it with a big channel lock pliers try to move it back and forth (NOT SIDE TO SIDE) what I mean is don't load the con.rod to the side. it is not designed to move that way move it (really just tilt it )front to back. if you are not confedant that you can do it take it to a shop

400exJOE
01-12-2002, 09:27 PM
bump