PDA

View Full Version : pep or tcs?

Paul400ex2002
06-23-2003, 09:09 AM
Alright guys, need some info. What kind of peformance difference am i going to be seeing between pep and tcs long travel shocks?

Silverfox@C&DRacing
06-23-2003, 09:45 AM
I can't say performance wise only time wise TCS is about 2-3 weeks right now. I think as long as the shock is set up for you and your riding style you would be happy with both.

Paul400ex2002
06-23-2003, 10:03 AM
yea tcs's wait is pretty short, can anybody compare the two for me performance wise?

4TraxRider
06-23-2003, 10:22 AM
I've never rode on PEP's, but i've pushed on the front and jumped on ETC, and i've riddin a banshee with TCS. The TCS feel firmer, but not stiff. The PEP seemed really soft, nd the guy said they never bottom. They were on an R if i makes a diff. PM MX517 for more TCS info, hes ot the shee.

06-23-2003, 11:09 AM
PEP is better IMO, but i, along with several other people do not have the time to wait 6 months for a set of shocks. I have heard pretty good things about TCS, no bad reports, i am sending all 3 of my shocks (front PEP, rear stock 400ex) to get revalved by TCS, its cheaper and a faster turn around then pep or baldwin

QuadTrix6
06-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
I've never rode on PEP's, but i've pushed on the front and jumped on ETC, and i've riddin a banshee with TCS. The TCS feel firmer, but not stiff. The PEP seemed really soft, nd the guy said they never bottom. They were on an R if i makes a diff. PM MX517 for more TCS info, hes ot the shee.

yea my PEPs are really soft yet they don't bottom out, i love em they soak up everything big or small. Both are good shocks but i prefer PEP

Paul400ex2002
06-23-2003, 12:31 PM
are the tcs like that too? or are they stiffer? i want something that is nice n soft but can take the big hits

QuadTrix6
06-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Paul400ex2002
are the tcs like that too? or are they stiffer? i want something that is nice n soft but can take the big hits

im not sure how they valve but thats how PEP are feel soft but act stiff when needed

Dave400ex
06-23-2003, 02:36 PM
PEP's are good no doubt about it. You just have to decide if you want to wait the months for PEP or weeks for the TCS. Unless your a really good rider I don't know if you could tell much of a difference between the two...

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Put it this way...either one will put a smile on your face. Both are very highly quality shocks. Its not even worth arguing over.

06-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Put it this way...either one will put a smile on your face. Both are very highly quality shocks. Its not even worth arguing over.

OutlawEX
06-23-2003, 03:39 PM
If i had pep or tcs in front of my face and i had to choose one with no wait id get pep. But what ever u can afford and wait for is worth it

Paul400ex2002
06-23-2003, 03:40 PM
looks like i'm gettin tcs, my sponsor just picked a set up and he's giving me a smokin deal on em.

toomeyshee87
06-23-2003, 03:40 PM
id get both and you can change them at will:D or run one on each side:eek2: lol

310Rduner
06-23-2003, 03:43 PM
so do you guys think that Peps would be better for hard duning where there is alot of CONSTANT bumps, and jarring ruts from trucks, and then jumping as well??

depending when i have my money together id wait for peps if it was during the time that they are supposedly faster to get... like only 2 months..

toomeyshee87
06-23-2003, 03:44 PM
for that id say peps are better

Dave400ex
06-23-2003, 04:48 PM
When is PEP's shortest wait time? I have heard guys say Fall, but to me I always thought that would be their busy time because of all the national riders getting new, or having their shocks rebuilt.

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
When is PEP's shortest wait time? I have heard guys say Fall, but to me I always thought that would be their busy time because of all the national riders getting new, or having their shocks rebuilt.

Your looking at 4-6 months most likely.

Dave400ex
06-23-2003, 05:31 PM
WOW! If that was the case I would be getting TCS for sure.

Jekyl_22
06-25-2003, 05:34 AM
I plan on getting PEP and during the few months that I'm waiting, saving up for the long travel a-arms and braided brake lines.

It may take a while, but I'm lazy and don't work much. So it should work out good.:p

bmw500hp
06-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Lets re-pose this question, Supposing TCS and PEP are of comparable quality, If we agree that this is a true, then the only existing variable is the setup.

Now if we agree that the setup is extremely important then perhaps we can figure out exactly why pep maintains a reputation despite an onslought of heavy competition!

So my final question is this, just who is, and how much experience does the guy have who sets up the TCS.? Can you be assured his choices will be as accurate for quad, a-arm, swingarm,, skill level, choice of terrai, or track as a final setup done exclusively by mark balwin or wayne?

If I am wrong here, let me know....

QuadTrix6
06-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp

Now if we agree that the setup is extremely important then perhaps we can figure out exactly why pep maintains a reputation despite an onslought of heavy competition!

So my final question is this, just who is, and how much experience does the guy have who sets up the TCS.? Can you be assured his choices will be as accurate for quad, a-arm, swingarm,, skill level, choice of terrai, or track as a final setup done exclusively by mark balwin or wayne?

Here is some info about PEP. Its hard to compete with the knowledge Wayne has but TCS are some great shocks.

"Performance Engineered Products was formed 16 years ago when Wayne Mooradian recognized the need for better "race-equipped" ATV suspensions. His background in motorsports is rather impressive. From the 1970's to early '80's, Wayne turned wrenches for over 30 factory motorcycle racers. Not many motorcycle mechanics can say they were the factory race team mechanic for the Maico, Can-Am, Suzuki, Husqvarna, and Yamaha motorcycle racing teams. Wayne was also part of the research and development team that propelled a dominating win-record for the most successful factory motorcycle racing team of the '80's - Team Honda! His credentials don't just exist in motorcycle racing. Wayne developed all of the suspension components for the 1985-86 factory Kawasaki three wheelers of Jimmy White. In '87-88 he developed the suspension products for the Team Suzuki Quad Racer's of Gary Denton, Rodney Gentry, Jeff Watts, and Jim Putnam. During the same season, Wayne built suspension systems for the Kawasaki Mojave's and Tecate 4's of the Team Green support riders of Jackie Meadows and Charlie Shepherd. In the late '80's he developed the motors, chassis, and suspension for the Honda desert ATV team. As you can see from Wayne's list of accomplishments, there's plenty of proven knowledge found in every PEP shock. "

remlapr
06-26-2003, 03:21 PM
I wonder if that's why PEP's aren't that popular for XC - with the shorter a-arms, if they're soft - they would dive on you I would think in the turns - this "softness" may be OK for MX where the quads are 60 inches wide(lol) but in the woods I don't know - this is just a theory...

micah
06-26-2003, 06:46 PM
bmw- i havent heard anything bad about tcs. For all you know in a couple years tcs could be the "name" to have....like PEP is now.

QuadTrix6
06-27-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by remlapr
I wonder if that's why PEP's aren't that popular for XC - with the shorter a-arms, if they're soft - they would dive on you I would think in the turns - this "softness" may be OK for MX where the quads are 60 inches wide(lol) but in the woods I don't know - this is just a theory...

my .02
1. MX quads max width is 50inches
2. Shocks are VALVED for a arm lenght so they won't be too soft if you tell them the right equipment you will be fine, guys do run them for XC but they flood the MX scene

Chef
06-27-2003, 06:33 AM
My TCS are sweet. Really soft in the beginning, then I think they probably stiffen up because my frame hardly ever hits the ground. It will if I'm runnin 70 and nail the front breaks, but alot will when the quad is only 5 inches off the ground to start with.

bmw500hp
06-27-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
Here is some info about PEP. Its hard to compete with the knowledge Wayne has but TCS are some great shocks.

"Performance Engineered Products was formed 16 years ago when Wayne Mooradian recognized the need for better "race-equipped" ATV suspensions. His background in motorsports is rather impressive. From the 1970's to early '80's, Wayne turned wrenches for over 30 factory motorcycle racers. Not many motorcycle mechanics can say they were the factory race team mechanic for the Maico, Can-Am, Suzuki, Husqvarna, and Yamaha motorcycle racing teams. Wayne was also part of the research and development team that propelled a dominating win-record for the most successful factory motorcycle racing team of the '80's - Team Honda! His credentials don't just exist in motorcycle racing. Wayne developed all of the suspension components for the 1985-86 factory Kawasaki three wheelers of Jimmy White. In '87-88 he developed the suspension products for the Team Suzuki Quad Racer's of Gary Denton, Rodney Gentry, Jeff Watts, and Jim Putnam. During the same season, Wayne built suspension systems for the Kawasaki Mojave's and Tecate 4's of the Team Green support riders of Jackie Meadows and Charlie Shepherd. In the late '80's he developed the motors, chassis, and suspension for the Honda desert ATV team. As you can see from Wayne's list of accomplishments, there's plenty of proven knowledge found in every PEP shock. "

Quadtrix:

Thanks for the history...The shocks I have were purchased from an a class rider who bought them new in 1990. I guess that makes them about 13 years old. Since they were valved for a class 165lb rider a mx on a 250r. But in that time period, the rider rode mx, xc and tt for combined points. They are nowhere near right for my setup, read my sig..... but still are still very impressive. When I show my buds, they ride my quad and say, "oh yeah man, nice, what are they, about a year old"... did you just get them revalved? They flip when they read the inscription 1990!

Micah, I am not in any way flaming TCS, I am just persuing the reasons why PEP became so highly regarded. I am under the impression, much of the credibility is directly linked to the credibilty of the chosen distributer and his contribution to consitency of set up.