PDA

View Full Version : please help out a future duner!

250exen
06-23-2003, 06:54 AM
ok, this july 18, 19 and 20 im going to silverlake sand dunes with a bunch of people with utilities. im also going with this guy who has a dune buggy that will go 0-100 mph in about 3 seconds:eek: and hes building a faster one. he told me that it puts out about 240 hp and hes building a faster one with about 520hp:eek: :eek: :eek2:

anyway, heres my question. do you duners run an airbox lid or no airbox lid when you dune. i have a k&n air filter and could probably get an outerware if i need one to run without a cover

thanks
tj

Chef
06-23-2003, 06:59 AM
No lid. How is that thing that fast with only 240hp? How small is it?:confused:

250exen
06-23-2003, 07:02 AM
he said it only weighs about 1000 pounds!?!?!?!?

dunno if it is true, just saying what he told me. and another thing, i am not sure the horsepower, he said something like 240, may have been 280 or something?

250exen
06-23-2003, 07:09 AM
anotherthing, sould i use an outerware?

thanks chef for the quick answere!:D

Chef
06-23-2003, 07:11 AM
You should, but its not a must. I dont run one on my Banshee.

Str8Wicked
06-23-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 250exen
ok, this july 18, 19 and 20 im going to silverlake sand dunes with a bunch of people with utilities. im also going with this guy who has a dune buggy that will go 0-100 mph in about 3 seconds:eek: and hes building a faster one. he told me that it puts out about 240 hp and hes building a faster one with about 520hp:eek: :eek: :eek2:

anyway, heres my question. do you duners run an airbox lid or no airbox lid when you dune. i have a k&n air filter and could probably get an outerware if i need one to run without a cover

thanks
tj

no lid..... run an outerwears or else your K&N will be plugged,

by the 2 nd day you won't be running as smooth as you should be because of the air blockage.

Also a 240HP rail will not go 0-100 in 3 seconds, even if th ething weighs 800 lbs... You don't realize how much HP is socked up in the dunes, I know some of the fastest rails out in Glamis are pushing over 500 HP with Northstar 32 Valve V8 engines supercharged... I know one of my friends just sold his rail with a rotary RX7 motor twin turboed and I don't remember him being that fast.....

bsf150
06-24-2003, 01:35 AM
My friend and his brother-in-law have a couple of the faster buggies at Silver Lake and they don't go that fast. Definitly run an outerwears, I use one and have holes drilled in the top of my box on my R works good. Only way to find out just how fast it is, is to take it to the actual sand dragway where they have the Big Bud Shootout later this year. But anyways be safe, get the outerwears it's not going to hurt anything.

spud400ex
06-24-2003, 05:04 AM
one of my dads friends has a buggy with somewhere between 250-300hp and he has never had it in 4th gear. he can go 120 in third and it takes barely any time to get there.

josh
07-11-2003, 12:19 PM
that 0-100 thing sounds outa hand, that dude mighta been exagerating just a LIL, my friend from school had a 2 seater rail, about the size of a vw or 2 seater brandwood frame, but it was all custom and he had like a 350 hp decked out motor in that thing, and i can garuntee u it never had the capability of 0-100 in 3 seconds, i don't think u can get that sufficient traction in sand to go that fast unless u got freakin 44" paddles with big scoops and about 1,000+ hp, i'm not sayin it's not possible, just doesn't sound true, but ya, i would either put ur box lid on it or throw a outwere on that filter, cuz u will end up getting some sand headin towards the filter, sand gets everyewere, it's like...unstoppable lol, but it cleans up fairly easy, specially with a air compressor........have fun, i know ur first dune experience will be one of the best feelings u'll ever get on a quad, slidin sideways in 3rd and 4th on a nice bowl, it almost feels like a jetski on land, without the choppy wake, after ur first dune trip, i garuntee u will be cussing at ur local trails cuz there so bumpy lol, that's how me and my dad were.....have fun and remember, DON'T TRY TO FLY STRAIGHT OVER A DUNE UNLESS U ARE 110% SURE IT'S SAFE ON THE OTHER SIDE, cuz u will find out wat a razorback is, but have fun and bring plenty of water and hotdogs, give us the report and pictures when u get back

250exen
07-14-2003, 04:11 AM
thanks for the answeres guys. i didnt get a chance to go to the atv store to get an outterwears so i think i wil just leave my lid on(but i dunno yet). i will deffently get pics if we go. i just found out that there is an age limit and if you are under 16 you have to take a safty training course:( im 15 and dont have the safty training thing(although ive been riding all my life and could probably pass it with ease) so i dont know if i am going. were gonna decide today
ill be sure to get the real times for the buggie when/if we go. im just saying what he told me.....

thanks
tj