PDA

View Full Version : PEP Shocks

Jekyl_22
06-22-2003, 04:50 PM
I plan on ordering a set of front PEP ZPS 19" Shocks for my 400ex in 2 or 3 weeks, I have some questions:

1. How much will they cost? I want piggyback reserviors, compression & rebound adjustable.

2. Do they really take about 3 months? Where do you get them from? Where are they cheapest and have best service? Is there anywhere you can get them faster? Do you pay for them when you order them, or once they are shipped?

3. When they ask for my weight, does that mean with my gear on?

4. How do you determine what class of a rider you are? (A,B,etc...)

5. I plan on also buying +3 A-arms, do I need different tie rods?

6. Are there any cons to piggyback reserviors?

7. I plan on buying Lonestar +3 Long Travel A-arms, does anyone know how much they cost and what the wait is on them?

I can't wait to have good shocks! Thanks for all your help!

toomeyshee87
06-22-2003, 05:06 PM
pep doesnt offer piggyback rez. the weight is with all gear on. A is pro so i chose b rider, tell them what you ride (mx,xc,freestyle ect.) its the same price and wait just bout everywhere. and you pay COD or money order when they get to you.

OutlawEX
06-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by toomeyshee87
pep doesnt offer piggyback rez. the weight is with all gear on. A is pro so i chose b rider, tell them what you ride (mx,xc,freestyle ect.) its the same price and wait just bout everywhere. and you pay COD or money order when they get to you.

ya he is right-------/\. Also I waited 6 months for my puppies

micah
06-22-2003, 05:35 PM
is the reason they ask if you are a or b rider to determine what size the jumps you will be hitting in motocross?

06-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by micah
is the reason they ask if you are a or b rider to determine what size the jumps you will be hitting in motocross?

The ride type (MX XC TT etc) would be for one part of the info and the rider ability or level would be for another.

Normally a pro level rider would need diff valving that would be too stiff for the average weekend worrior due to the more aggressive riding style.

BTW be truthfull when answering the questions and if your not sure say so, and you will be happier in the end.

QuadTrix6
06-23-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
1. How much will they cost? I want piggyback reserviors, compression & rebound adjustable.

They CAN custom make you piggybacks but the do NOT recomend them. Especially for MX they say not to get them. They also do not recomend rebound adjustment unless you are good with shocks. It also costs extra.

2. Do they really take about 3 months? Where do you get them from? Where are they cheapest and have best service? Is there anywhere you can get them faster? Do you pay for them when you order them, or once they are shipped?

Depending on the time of year is how long it takes. At some points is only 3 weeks but other times its 8-9 months. Right now i think its only like 2 months. You can get them from baldwin or directly through Wayne. Same price at each. And they send them COD so you pay when u get them at ur door with a money order or cashiers check. Thats it.

3. When they ask for my weight, does that mean with my gear on?

You can give either just let them know which u are saying.

4. How do you determine what class of a rider you are? (A,B,etc...)

Most people are probably B. If you race around and ride aggressive say B. If you are good say A.

5. I plan on also buying +3 A-arms, do I need different tie rods?

It should come with them.

6. Are there any cons to piggyback reserviors?

They dont recomend them for MX bc they say they can get ripped off.

If you want i have my spec sheet from them and i could let you know everything they ask.

lil400exman
06-23-2003, 05:22 AM
it seems to me piggy backs are tougher than remote's..........:confused:

QuadTrix6
06-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
it seems to me piggy backs are tougher than remote's..........:confused:

i thought the same and this may be true this is just what they told me there might be other reasons for them not prefering piggy back though, i personally like remote better so that wasn't a big deal for me, and order them asap cause you can always cancel, tell them you need them asap

Jekyl_22
06-23-2003, 06:53 AM
Thanks for all the great replies.

So it looks like I'm getting 19" ZPS with remote reserviors and compression adjustable.

With the whole COD (Cash On Delivery), do they take credit cards? Sorry for the dumb question, I'm a teenager...

QuadTrix6
06-23-2003, 07:32 AM
no credit cards

Paul400ex2002
06-23-2003, 09:02 AM
you asked about the wait for lonestar a-arms. The wait all depends on what point they are at in their production. If you order right before they are getting ready to make a run of 400ex parts, you can probably get them thrown in that batch. If not, it could be a month or so. PM or IM me and i'll talk with you on prices.

YLW400
06-23-2003, 09:21 AM
Baldwin takes credit cards....just not Discover.

norrisboat
06-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Paul, When did you become the expert?

Paul400ex2002
06-23-2003, 12:43 PM
since i asked rudy how long it would take me to get my a-arms and chit ;)

toomeyshee87
06-23-2003, 03:38 PM
QuadTrix6 and OutlawEX, what did you say for your riding level? A, B, or C?

OutlawEX
06-25-2003, 05:07 AM
I personally got mine set up for A. The reason is so i can fine tune my suspension to adapt to the tracks i go to more comfortibly

Jekyl_22
06-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Do they seem to stiff for you? What kind of jumps do you do?

OutlawEX
06-25-2003, 06:17 AM
Do they seem to stiff for you? What kind of jumps do you do?

They are only stiff if u adjust them to be stiff. I only do MX and some trail riding here and there

toomeyshee87
06-25-2003, 10:47 AM
i got mine for B but now that ive been riding on them they seem way to soft but im gonna try another cross over ring in the white spring and this winter when they go in to be tuned up in gonna see if Wayne can change some stuff and valve them for a A rider.

crap-banshee32
06-25-2003, 10:54 AM
the wait at baldwin is 6-8 weeks for me!!!

OutlawEX
06-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by crap-banshee32
the wait at baldwin is 6-8 weeks for me!!!

LOL no its not. My buddy does alot of work for baldwin and he told me he could get shocks in about 8 weeks.. Well guess what they took 22 weeks which is around 6 months:mad:

06-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Well guess what they took 22 weeks which is around 6 months

Wow thats just friggin nuts :eek2:

Be serious guys six months is a long time to wait for the pleasure of spending a big chunk of money. I know that there are more than a few peeps that love the PEPs but six months c'mon it just not right.

Narly R
06-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Why do they take sooo long? Thats crazy!! You can get them out Nac's too it says but I dunno about the speed!!:ermm: That would be the day to have stiff shocks! I mean my 20 yr old shocks just wont cut it!:mad: Those PEPS will be sweet 22!!!!!!:)

OutlawEX
06-26-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
Why do they take sooo long? Thats crazy!! You can get them out Nac's too it says but I dunno about the speed!!:ermm: That would be the day to have stiff shocks! I mean my 20 yr old shocks just wont cut it!:mad: Those PEPS will be sweet 22!!!!!!:)

PEP takes so long because over the years they have earned nothing but a Kick@*** reputation. People then over teh years started ordering shocks from them and they were and still are getting more orders than what they can handle in a timely manner. So now PEP is exspanding their skills and having places like Baldwin give them a hand so they can take some heat off their arms and wait. If you want the best ur gona wait. Look at Walsh,Laegers all the top atv manufactures there is a wait cause they are the best and ppl want them

Yes u can get them outta nacs im sure. If so Nacs takes the order sends the order to PEP or Baldwin and then the shocks get made

toomeyshee87
06-26-2003, 05:06 AM
does anybody know the wait an having the shocks get tuned up? is it the same as buying shocks? cuz thats a long time every winter to wait for shocks:eek2:

OutlawEX
06-26-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by toomeyshee87
does anybody know the wait an having the shocks get tuned up? is it the same as buying shocks? cuz thats a long time every winter to wait for shocks:eek2:

depends were u go. Baldwin is about 4-6 weeks. But TCS is a week turn around. As soon as they get ur shocks it willbe a week before they are done;)

AFTERMARKET
06-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Junk is always Available. Good things come to thoes that wait.

06-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Seems like PEP would hire another person or 2 to help with the work load. At least that makes since to me..maybe they are cheifin the green stuff in the back room to much to understand this.:confused: :huh

It's really not that hard to figure out is it:confused:

Lets see, hire more people, get more shocks shipped out, cut the 6 year waiting time down to a few weeks, and make more money. :confused2

OutlawEX
06-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Seems like PEP would hire another person or 2 to help with the work load. At least that makes since to me..maybe they are cheifin the green stuff in the back room to much to understand this.:confused: :huh

It's really not that hard to figure out is it:confused:

Lets see, hire more people, get more shocks shipped out, cut the 6 year waiting time down to a few weeks, and make more money. :confused2

Im sure they got a huge staff. Look they have other aftermarket companies even helping them out. If lets say Elka had the positve reputation like pep has had int he past 5 years elka would be a pretty long wait too or any other place. Picture PEP as Harley. Harley has earned its reputation by porducin kick@*** bikes and they even have a wait on harleys,now look at pep earned its rep and now over loaded.. But they get their job done

06-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
Im sure they got a huge staff. Look they have other aftermarket companies even helping them out. If lets say Elka had the positve reputation like pep has had int he past 5 years elka would be a pretty long wait too or any other place. Picture PEP as Harley. Harley has earned its reputation by porducin kick@*** bikes and they even have a wait on harleys,now look at pep earned its rep and now over loaded.. But they get their job done

I am not looking to get onto a pisssin match but thats one sad analogy.

Lets be honest with everyone and agree that not "everyone" waits the same amount of time. Its just the average guy who is waiting while there is some rather special attention givin to a certain group of shocks.

Believe me I am not trashing this product because I couldnt begin to think that all the people who like them really have no clue and are just brand loyal to what they own, but I do believe that at min 90% are not able to accurately evaluate them either. Why I say this is that from what I have found (and yes I have done a lot of research on suspension) it is allmost impossible to get good comparison info on this stuff. Sure most will agree that this brand uses better materials or hardware than the other brand but like I have said b4 its the set up and fine tuning that make most of the difference in what we as riders "feel" and its the hype that makes up know whats better.

I have to also offer that I like the PEP shocks I have sen, and especially the few that I have seen that are just not like the rest of them. You know the ones with the high luster finish and diff labels etc. Yep they do pay a little more attention to some of the shocks.

Knowing all this and even if I agreed that there was truely a better shock I would still not be waiting 6 months for anything that will cost me like these things (Did you know those "special" shocks I mentioned earlier, well they dont get sold but just lended out) and unless your a top level pro that is needing every last piece of advantage do you think you need to wait?

OutlawEX
06-27-2003, 04:01 AM
I have ridden on several aftermarket shocks and nothing compares to PEPs True ZPS.

and unless your a top level pro that is needing every last piece of advantage do you think you need to wait?

I think it is worth the wait. I just built an all top of the line YZF and i knew it was gonna take months hell its taken 9 months so i threw in a order for PEP and they were here before my quad was even done. I have no complaints. A better suspension will make u faster if u have the potential. No flame intended Bro

Dave400ex
06-27-2003, 04:59 AM
Do you really think the average rider could tell much of a difference between say the PEP ZPS or TCS Race?

QuadTrix6
06-27-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Do you really think the average rider could tell much of a difference between say the PEP ZPS or TCS Race?

Yes

QuadTrix6
06-27-2003, 05:44 AM
Do a search and see what you come up with on all the shock brands... problems, reviews, comments and so on..there are half a million threads on them;)

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-27-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
Do a search and see what you come up with on all the shock brands... problems, reviews, comments and so on..there are half a million threads on them;)

Probably more than that :tired:

Dave400ex
06-27-2003, 09:02 AM
Yeah I know I already have shocks I was just asking. I wonder how come there isn't as many PEP's used in GNCC? I have always wanted to know that...

06-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Yeah I know I already have shocks I was just asking. I wonder how come there isn't as many PEP's used in GNCC? I have always wanted to know that...

Guess there all too stupid too any better :rolleyes:

Or at least thats what you would have to think if you believe all the PEP supporters.

For those of you who prefer to read (or acknowledge) only part of what I say thats fine but your only short changing yourself.

I am not believing that PEP is the answer to everyones suspension needs anymore than I did the same BS about Custom Axis last year when I was researching shocks.

I think it is worth the wait. I just built an all top of the line YZF and i knew it was gonna take months hell its taken 9 months so i threw in a order for PEP and they were here before my quad was even done. I have no complaints. A better suspension will make u faster if u have the potential. No flame intended Bro

No flame taken and your just speaking your mind and thats no prob to me, BUT if you go back and re read my previous post and the part you quoted you didnt really reply to it. I am sticking to my story on this 100%, and I have said its very important to purchase quality suspension products and some brands do have advantages over others etc, but untill I can see some proof beyond everyones one sided opinions I can not stand behind you PEP guys anymore than the AXIS or even the Elka guys (yep thats what I got :) ) saying that this is the only brand to have and the absolute best bar none.

Now for my friend from NY lol (Hi John/ quadtrix) how the he!! can you say that an inexperienced or average rider would so easily know the difference between and know or say that the PEPs are the best over the whole bunch of other quality shocks out there? I cant belive you thought too much on this one :) I mean like c'mon now your getting a little carried away, or have you developed years of suspension experience in the last few months sice you got your peps? I have talked to some people who are pretty impressed with their shocks but your starting to scare me :D

I am not pickin on you dude I just think your opinion and the basis behind it is very much the popular way peoples minds work etc.

Most people who I had talked with when I was looking for info to base my shock buying decision on only had experience only on 1 or 2 brands and they were stock shocks and what they were running now. There was a few of the bigger names both around here and in the ATV industry that were familiar with 3 or 4 brands and though some had their favorites they had all spoke of having had good experiences and success with everything besides stock.

So now were back to the basis of what I say in any of the "what shock" threads and thats all about set up and fine tuning. So what ever of the five or six popular brand shocks you have now its time to go find out how to set up your suspension and how to fine tune it for the different terrain you ride.

And if you ever get that set up and tuning part down spend some more time practicing because you will able to ride much harder and longer than the other guy with whos ever brand shocks that arent dialed in 100%.

Sorry I know that was long :blah:

QuadTrix6
06-28-2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Now for my friend from NY lol (Hi John/ quadtrix) how the he!! can you say that an inexperienced or average rider would so easily know the difference between and know or say that the PEPs are the best over the whole bunch of other quality shocks out there? I cant belive you thought too much on this one :) I mean like c'mon now your getting a little carried away, or have you developed years of suspension experience in the last few months sice you got your peps? I have talked to some people who are pretty impressed with their shocks but your starting to scare me :D

I am not pickin on you dude I just think your opinion and the basis behind it is very much the popular way peoples minds work etc.

Your lucky i like you lenny :blah: ..just kidding man, me and RICO agreed that i would no longer reply in suspension threads sorry :blah: :D

06-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Well that should smooth out most all the bumps and stuff in the suspension discussion at least LMAO :D

Now just to get the one on the quad working as plush :) :rolleyes: :devil:

QuadTrix6
06-29-2003, 05:01 AM
Now just to get the one on the quad working as plush :) :rolleyes: :devil:

my suspension was dialed in correctly the first time i got em :eek2: ;) :rolleyes:

07-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
my suspension was dialed in correctly the first time i got em :eek2: ;) :rolleyes:

Your toooo funny :)

Now try and convience me you know what a properly dialed in suspension rides like or how to set one up in the first place. :)

What I keep finding over and over is that while the suspension parts we receive work and perform thousands of times better than the stockers we had most of us dont have anything other than stock to compare to and allmost no clue what is right or wrong with the set up and tuning of it.

So what do we get? A bunch of very happy and excited riders that are finding how much better a aftermarket suspension works and then a bunch of BS about how what ever they have is the best though they have no clue as to what the others are like or if what they have is even set up properly etc, so in the end 95% is just complete brand loyalty BS.

nuff said :D

07-06-2003, 08:49 AM

So what do we get? A bunch of very happy and excited riders that are finding how much better a aftermarket suspension works and then a bunch of BS about how what ever they have is the best though they have no clue as to what the others are like or if what they have is even set up properly etc, so in the end 95% is just complete brand loyalty BS.

nuff said :D

That is exactly right brother. I do think somke shocks are made better than other but i think all the custom axis is a binch of BS!!