PDA

View Full Version : Start in gear Mod for 250EX

Dusty
06-22-2003, 04:12 AM
I have figured out a simple way to get the 250ex to start in gear, and still have the neutral light function properly. It doesn't require any wire cutting/splicing and is fully reversible.

If there's any interest I'll detail how to do it and take some pictures.

Brian

4wheelboy
06-22-2003, 05:01 AM
i would be intrested

ryanh250ex
06-22-2003, 06:53 AM
i am interested.

OCCRA288
06-22-2003, 08:01 AM
I've got a 250ex on my race team, We do dead engine starts. this would help alot. Show us!

Dusty
06-25-2003, 01:16 AM
Hi Guys,

Ok, i don't have any pictures yet, but this is a easy mod to do. If anyone needs pictures i will try and get them.

You will need 2 pieces of 18/20 guage wire, 2 male spade connectors, 1 female and 2 male bullet connectors.

The neutral switch located inside the engine case provides the ground to energize the neutral light, and the starter relay, when the quad is in neutral. All that is needed to get the quad to start in any gear is to provide a permanent ground bypassing the neutral switch. The only problem with that is the neutral light will always be energized. We can modify that too.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this was the simplest way i could find without unwrapping more of the harness, and i also wanted it to be reversible.

Remove the seat, and the left side cover. Behind the battery, laying in the tray there is a section of wiring harness taped up that comes to an end. Mine was wrapped in Blue tape at the end. When you unwrap the end you will see a connector with a plug in diode. The light green w/ red stripe wire comes from the neutral light. The solid light green wire goes to the nuetral switch (ground). As a benefit you will also see 2 unplugged bullet connectors which happen to be for accessories. ( Like maybe a brake light )

Unplug the diode. With one wire, connect a male spade and plug it into the solid light green wire. The other end connect to a ground. I used the green accessory wire with a male bullet connector for ground, but you can ground to the battery or frame if you like. That is all that is needed to start in any gear. The downside to this is your starter button will always be hot, so if you accidently hit the button the starter will engage.

Now to get the neutral light to function properly you need to connect the neutral light (light green w/red stripe) directly to the neutral switch. On the left side frame rail, in front of the rear fender, the wiring harness runs through, and there are a number of plugs attached to the frame rail. There are also 2 wires with bullet connectors that run along with the harness here. one is solid light green (neutral switch ground). Disconnect it. With your other piece of wire, attach a male spade and plug it into the light green/w red stripe at the diode. Run it out with the harness and connect it (with a male bullet) to the solid light green wire at the frame rail. The other end i just used a female bullet and melted the end closed to cap the wire. Now the neutral light will work as it should.

I also used dielectric grease at all the connections and rewrapped the harness at the diode.

Also I'd like to say that I don't endorse anyone modifying the electrical system on there quads. It could cause unforseen problems in the future. If you do, you do so at your own risk.

That being said, I've been running with this mod for a couple of months with no problems. I also have a similar mod on my utility, and have been running it for 3+ years with no ill effects.

Also to anyone that questions, why someone would want to do this. I never have to rock back and forth trying to find nuetral to start the quad .

Brian

KASCHAK
06-25-2003, 03:57 AM
WOW that was good. you should ask ben to put that in the tech articles. thats a good mod for the 250 i know my friend always looses neutral. you dont really need the neutral light anyway if your racing new bars then you need to remount your key just dont put it on. ill have my friend do this mod.