PDA

View Full Version : Hauling in pickups?

Jimmah12
06-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Is it safe to haul quads like this? Will it do any damage to the quads? and is there anything lse I should do besides shut off the gas?

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=645496

trailburner
06-22-2003, 01:29 AM
WOW....:eek2: .......I dont know about that one. I'v never seen any thing like that, it doesn't look to safe to me. I would'nt do it!!....

Stevie-D
06-22-2003, 01:57 AM
YES. it CAN be extremely safe...IF done right....

make sure that you have the quads in like that, so if the first one falls, it will only bump the cab with the seat instead of the frame. also, use at least 4 tie downs per quad..2 on bottom and 2 near top, and keep em tight..

i believe that that pic was posted by Tommy17 the other day, why not PM him and ask him for more details?;)

bansheeguy77
06-22-2003, 02:53 AM
yeah that was tommy and dereks quad...i dont believe they could close the tailgate so they sat tommys quad on all 4 wheels and it sat on the tailgate. it worked fine from what they said. If ya turn the gas off and tie it down good everything should be good :chinese:

JTRtrx250r
06-22-2003, 03:47 AM
we've done that b4,just w/ the quads facing the same direction,a set of those "soft straps" for the bars on both quads and it works great,we try to get the wheels of the 1st quad in front of the wheel-wells and the other behind them,and 4-6 tie-downs,jut be mellow on the bumps lol,w/ my truck,I have a rollbar to hook the front tires on for more support for the quad in front and that leaves enough room to shut the tail-gate,good luck dudes:cool:

worm
06-22-2003, 03:58 AM
run the fuel out of the carbs b4 you stand it up... the gas will probably run into your airbox .. your filter will be soaked

Derek
06-22-2003, 04:00 AM
If you have an 8 foot bed then your fine. THat was a 6 foot bed so we couldn close the gate. Do it like this.

JTRtrx250r
06-22-2003, 04:06 AM
be sure your tank is 1/2 or less,if you have a bad cap seal it'll run everywhere;)

Tommy 17
06-22-2003, 04:16 AM
do it like this...

the quad towards the front has to go in backwards so the frame wont' hit the cab... the wheelie bar and seat stop it from doin that no matter what!!!!

also put a ramp or a board under hte rear fenders... on mine there was no weight on the tail gate... if u look the quad is sittin on my ramps to load them and its puttin all the weight from the quad in the bed of the truck... i could actuall move the tail gate under the ramps with my pinky finger there was no weight on the tail gate...

i used 7 tie downs... 4 to the quad standing up... 2 main to the 2nd quad... and one safty extra strap the whole way around the 2nd quad to make sure it would not go out...

the main tie downs are yellow... 2nd tie down is bright orange...

Tommy 17
06-22-2003, 04:20 AM
on the gas question... i just shut the gas off on both quads with completely full tanks... not one drop of gas leaked...

we drove 3 20 mins like that in the rain... my 1st time i've ever drove over 1 hour also...

Derek
06-22-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
on the gas question... i just shut the gas off on both quads with completely full tanks... not one drop of gas leaked...

we drove 3 20 mins like that in the rain... my 1st time i've ever drove over 1 hour also...

And lets just say that it wasnt the smoothest ride.:p

JTRtrx250r
06-22-2003, 04:23 AM
thats how we do it tommy but w/ the 1st 1 facing the otherway,thats where the roll bar comes in handy in my rig but if is tied in good,it doesnt hit the cab on my pals f250,seems alotta ppl are a bit nervous tying them down that way....but it works great if your all goin to the same place and can usually leave a rig home:blah:

roostin_dale
06-22-2003, 04:29 AM
I was about to say what Tommoy posted..the one where one quad is up and the other is down! That works good.