PDA

View Full Version : engine making pinging noise!!

bone705
06-21-2003, 02:35 PM
ok heres the deal. my friend was changing his oil on his 300ex and he noticed the threads for the drain plug were all busted out. he had an extra bottom end so we took the top end and put it on that extra bottome end. when we were putting everything back together we found a web cam. not sure which one it is. but when it was all said and done we fired it up and the motor is making a pinging noise. we adjusted the valves tighter and it still is. any help please.

4TraxRider
06-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Are you using good enough gas? Valves tick, not ping. Did it do it before you put the topend on the other bottom end?

Jekyl_22
06-21-2003, 06:27 PM
It might be the gas. Did you check the clearance between the valves and the piston? Don't most Web Cams require shortened valve guides and stiffer valve springs? When I got my cam, it said to check the clearance using the clay method. Which requires you to put some clay on the top of your piston, crank it over, and just measure the clearance (top of the piston and the bottom of where the clay is pushed down).

Scott-300ex
06-22-2003, 01:15 PM
maybe it will stop after the cam is broken in but i don't know if you want to run it that long w/ that

just "finding" a cam seems wierd to me

but i was also gonna suggest to get higher octane fuel

bone705
06-22-2003, 04:30 PM
we found the problem. the cam bolts came loose. we put some lock tight on them now its working good.