PDA

View Full Version : 250EX Centrifugal Clutch Slipping?

Prazak250EX
06-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Well I was out ridin today and I was bangin thru the gears on my 250. I was shiftin into 4th and it seemed to miss, then make a grinding sound, then take a lil to shift into 4th, any suggestions? I think my clutch plates are bad but that's all I'm hoping....

rider250ex
06-21-2003, 07:58 AM
i think u were still on the gas when u tried to shift. mine does it every once in a while if i dont let off the gas enough

moto93
06-21-2003, 08:27 AM
There's actually 2 clutches in a 250EX. I doubt if it's the centrifugal one that's slipping.

ryanh250ex
06-22-2003, 07:23 AM
hmmm..... try adjusting the clutch. there is a screw in the front of the motor (it is labeled i believe) and turn it clockwise until there is a slight resistance. i believe that's how you do it....i dont have my shop manual in front of me at the moment.

do you normally shift while still on the gas? if so, you'll fry your clutch REALLY quick. the same goes if you do wheelies via dumping the clutch, or on this particular machine, half-shifting.

good luck on figuring out what the problem is.

Jake250ex
06-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Yea mines done that a couple times...... I didn't look very cool when i was flyin across a field shiftin for 3rd to 4th, then i thought i was in fourth so I pinned it, and hit the rev limiter for a few seconds....... If thats not bad enough, when it kicked in it almost pitched me off the back :eek:

250EXking
06-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by rider250ex
i think u were still on the gas when u tried to shift. mine does it every once in a while if i dont let off the gas enough

mines does it to once in a while.

honda270ex
06-27-2003, 04:52 AM
same thinghappens to me once and awhile. but i didnt think it would do anything if u dropped it into first and did a wheelie it wpould do anything cus its like the same thing as having a manuiel clutch

TRX_Thumper
06-27-2003, 03:48 PM
yeah its the same as having a manual clutch but the 250ex's clutch system isnt built as tough as say a 300ex or 400ex....the 250's will heat up much quicker

White_Knuckles
06-27-2003, 04:42 PM
It's not even good to "half-shift" the 250EX. If this is the trick to lift the shifter between 1st and second where it slips, rev it and dump the shifter - bad.

You may notice a metallic CLANK when you snap the shifter down. That would be the gear teeth striking. Centrifical clutchs are dependent on RPM to engage so they lock-up 1:1 when reved. When dumped, the drive gear spanks first gear hard, oh she'll wheelie alright but the gear teeth could dent or break.

Why it works with a conventional lever clutch I'm not sure but I've heard of $$ damage with the famous half-shift.

Rock back on the seat and gas it! Instant wheelie. If your bike doesn't pop-up than you need to check jetting maybe add a slip-on or better tires. If your too heavy fogetaboutit.

moto93
06-28-2003, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
It's not even good to "half-shift" the 250EX. If this is the trick to lift the shifter between 1st and second where it slips, rev it and dump the shifter - bad.

BULL! The shifter linkage works the main clutch just like the hand lever on a manual clutch quad.

You may notice a metallic CLANK when you snap the shifter down. That would be the gear teeth striking. Centrifical clutchs are dependent on RPM to engage so they lock-up 1:1 when reved. When dumped, the drive gear spanks first gear hard, oh she'll wheelie alright but the gear teeth could dent or break.

More BULL! The centrifugal clutch is actually a 'one way' clutch. When the main clutch engages it starts turning the centrifugal clutch thus locking it up. It doesn't have anything to do with RPM.

Why it works with a conventional lever clutch I'm not sure but I've heard of $$ damage with the famous half-shift.

We've been jamming on our Recon & 250EX for years and haven't had any damage whatsoever!

Rock back on the seat and gas it! Instant wheelie. If your bike doesn't pop-up than you need to check jetting maybe add a slip-on or better tires. If your too heavy fogetaboutit.

White_Knuckles
06-28-2003, 12:47 PM
I am certainly no clutch expert but I overheard the service manager at Honda explaining " you snap into first dropping the lever from half-way to second while reving it and it broke". He then discussed the gear teeth issue. The customer was paying an unknown service bill for his kid's Recon. He didn't look too happy that the dealer nailed the cause.

I've tried it and experienced the chank sound. I may be wrong and it's a fine mechanical operation just like a lever clutch. Feel free to have at it man.

moto93
06-28-2003, 04:08 PM
Believe me Man, we've had our Recon nearly 4 years and our 250EX over 2 with 2 kids learning to shift they've gone through hell but they've held up. :D

White_Knuckles
06-28-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by moto93
Believe me Man, we've had our Recon nearly 4 years and our 250EX over 2 with 2 kids learning to shift they've gone through hell but they've held up. :D

Speaks well of the product. But I gotta ask, are they winding them up and dropping into gear launching the front end up regularly? If so, the whole gear shock damage (no slip or damping of the teeth) statement is blown. :ermm:

KASCHAK
06-28-2003, 06:49 PM
my friends 250ex when you have shift it i do it from 1st to second. and i rev it then drop and rev at the same time and it comus up smooth no klinkity noices you got to do it just right or your screwed.

and isnt there a manul clutch conversion for a 250ex i think i heard somone talking about it somewhere its only like 100 i believe. just open the front of the motor pullout the clutches and push in the new ones and switch the cables around so you have the clutch. not sure on this one so dont take me responcible.

try checking rockymountianatv.com they might be the ones with it

toby400ex
06-28-2003, 09:18 PM
makes me happy i got rid of that recon, it ade lots of noises:p

moto93
06-29-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
Speaks well of the product. But I gotta ask, are they winding them up and dropping into gear launching the front end up regularly? If so, the whole gear shock damage (no slip or damping of the teeth) statement is blown. :ermm:

Not so much my Daughter but my Son does a lot. He's only about 85lbs and that's the only way he can wheelie. :)