PDA

View Full Version : TCS Laeger Long Shock

terko440
06-21-2003, 03:20 AM
Here is another picture of my setup. This is with the bike relaxed(lifted up). Someone commented on how it looked like they would bottom easy because it didnt look like there was much shaft travel left. That just shows that the long shocks are not longer travel. But they definately dont bottom. With the bike in the raised position, it measures 48 inches wide in which I had the tape measure on the concrete which is it's widest point. And this is with douglas 3+2 offset wheels. When I put the stockers back on it narrowed the bike a half inch each side or 1 inch total. So right now my bike is a square(50x50) but I think it handles great. Also my arms are not plus forward as I believe Mark Laeger says he doesn't even make them that way.

terko440
06-21-2003, 03:22 AM
d

terko440
06-21-2003, 03:22 AM
s

Dave400ex
06-21-2003, 03:49 AM
The more I see it the more I like it. Plus those shocks and a-arms and priced fairly well. Now I just got to figure out if he makes them in Standard Width (+0).

Paul400ex2002
06-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by terko440
Here is another picture of my setup. This is with the bike relaxed(lifted up). Someone commented on how it looked like they would bottom easy because it didnt look like there was much shaft travel left. That just shows that the long shocks are not longer travel. But they definately dont bottom. With the bike in the raised position, it measures 48 inches wide in which I had the tape measure on the concrete which is it's widest point. And this is with douglas 3+2 offset wheels. When I put the stockers back on it narrowed the bike a half inch each side or 1 inch total. So right now my bike is a square(50x50) but I think it handles great. Also my arms are not plus forward as I believe Mark Laeger says he doesn't even make them that way.

so are you saying the tcs long travel shocks aren't really long travel?

terko440
06-24-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm saying this for all "long travel shocks". This is what many shops have told me anyways. They have to use a longer body to make up for moving the shock mount on the a-arm over about two inches.

blasterkid
06-24-2003, 03:25 PM
i think your right man my elkas dont look that much long travel then most just longer bodies like the part that the shaft go into cuse the shat has like the same amount on standered

Dave400ex
06-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Yeah John Arens told me you are only getting about an inch more travel with the LT setup over the Standard setup. It makes since because the mounts are out farther so the shock has to be longer. The biggest thing is the shocks are longer so they can be valved better.

06-24-2003, 04:00 PM
laeger doesnt make them forward because on the ex it makes them handle worse

lil400exman
06-25-2003, 02:20 AM
yes cause the frame has the arms moved up 1 inch from the 250r's posistion that is why r's have plus 1 fowards:devil:

YLW400
06-25-2003, 03:00 AM
As far as making it handle worse with the +1 forward, I think it is poopy. Mine are 3+1 and it feels great. Maybe there are riders out there that can tell a difference...for joe smoe b or c rider, I think they are fine.

nacs400ex
06-25-2003, 04:47 AM
True, long travel only gains about 1 inch of travel. But doesnt it lower the quad a bit more...?? Cause most of the long travel qauds around here are lower then the standard travel.

Dave400ex
06-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Well it sitting lower shouldn't have anything to do with the a-arms or length of the shocks. The shock mounts are out farther, but the shocks are longer so it should be about the same. The only way I see them sitting lower is if they have more sag, which could be adjusted. Makes sense to me, but that is a interesting question...

blasterkid
06-25-2003, 07:20 AM
when i went to high point i had some friends there that were getting yz426 quads built from jrd and i asked him about the +1 foward and he said that its good and he would never make a a arm with out it he says its better for steering

400exBro
06-25-2003, 07:26 AM
long travel shocks just have a longer spring travel... it might of been mention before but i could of missed it... you are using the springs for most of the travel during a race unless you hit huge jumps and over shot some times... other then that the shaft won't move too much, the springs will be absorbing most of the impact of the bumps ruts etc......
i could be wrong but that is how i see it, some one correct me?

bmw500hp
06-26-2003, 12:20 PM
A Roll Axis 1" xc setup claims approximately 10" of travel. What is the amount of wheel travel claimed the the leager setup discussed above?

micah
06-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Hey are those arms +3"? Im really thinking about ordering the normal LT laeger arms. Did you keep the stock stem? What colors are they offered in?

Dave400ex
06-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Yeah his A-Arms are +3 and with these LT you don't have to get a Stem. You won't get much better then Laeger products in my opinion. As far as colors I have no idea, but I'm sure they could be done in any color for extra...