PDA

View Full Version : ATC250R...?'s..JATV?...CHRIS WATER?

"BLAHH"300!!
06-20-2003, 11:55 PM
hey...what' cha'll talkn about?

bansheeguy77
06-21-2003, 12:33 AM
always ask him what he was thinking on the price....could save u alot of money. so dont offer anything till he gives u a base

trailburner
06-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
always ask him what he was thinking on the price....could save u alot of money. so dont offer anything till he gives u a base
Thats what I do...when I go to buy something I allways say "what do you have to get out of it"....Then I allways offer him just alittle less....... :rolleyes:

"BLAHH"300!!
06-21-2003, 01:18 AM
:confused:

CBW
06-21-2003, 03:22 AM
Well lets see.....how long do i make this post:confused2

Well when i bought my atc-r i was in the same boat as you....pretty never had my hands on a 2-stroke and never owned one.
I got on it ,,,,and took off . yes it was fast,,,,,,so i bought it. then when i got home i changed oil....and low and behold there was shavings in the oil..........long story short.....counterbalancer bearing froze up and then spun in the case......not a good thing. needless to say i dont have that motor anylonger

The radiator and engine are aluminum which can corrode with water deposits if tap water is mixed with the antifreeze,,,,,but will not rust-----however the water pump is a different story. You dont have to pull the lower hose,,,,,,just take a 10mm socket to pull the inspection plug on the cylinder or water pump.......not to scare you but the last atc motor i looked at the counterbalancer went bad, ruined the water pump shaft-seal-and bearing and broke the counterbalancer holder mounting ears on the other side ... of course if the mechanical seal is bad the oil will be milky

A two stroke is noisey,,,,,,,but not to an excess,,,,,,,that part is hard to describe over the screen. Now days i never buy a two stroke where i dont expect to do a top end job right sooon after purchasing .....and pull the clutch cover and inspect the clutch and primary gears....

Smoke habits.........well pull the plug.......thats the easiest wat to tell if rich, lean ,,,,,,,or what ever. .......but dont be afraid of smoking.........at this point a bit rich is better than lean

Chasis.....a new frame could be purchased from cal atv if it is necessary......thats what i did---$175. I doubt anything will be cracked from jumping........but could be way bent and cracked from crashing........the whole top rail on my R was bent and the front down tube was cracked in half and then rewelded..........yeah the guy just about died.........

I paid 850 for mine originally........it was worth 350. You have to use your judgement here.......i even tried to sell mine for 2300 over Ebay.......no such luck...oh well i will just keep it. Anyhow with cracked fenders, holes in the seat, bent bars, wore out and possibly broken sprockets (missing teeth)........its been rode and most likely hard.....check the oil, plug, and case saver area for damage.......ride it if you can and offer him something-----from the sounds of it.....about $600. But i havent seen it so again its your call.....unless you take some pictures and post them..........

Here is mine..........7K later

"BLAHH"300!!
06-21-2003, 03:49 AM
ahh..
You my boy Chris.
Most people see a long post and skip the thread.

Thanx for the time.

We'll see how it turns out...hope for the best

hondafox440
06-21-2003, 03:59 AM
Smoke habits.........well pull the plug.......thats the easiest wat to tell if rich, lean ,,,,,,,or what ever. .......but dont be afraid of smoking.........at this point a bit rich is better than lean

The plug, and only if read correctly, will give you a hint at if the main jet is rich or lean. Look at the smoke coming out of the bike once warmed up. Bluish smoke is good. White smoke that smells like burning coolant is bad, that means a blown head gasket.

JATV250
06-21-2003, 10:03 AM
BLAHH 300 i will call you in a little while.

CHAR250R
06-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Pull up the fork boots and look at the seals, make sure they're dry. See if the fork tubes are pitted, if they are, the pits will be like a cheese grader on the seals. Check the compression! I'm not sure on exactly what it should be, but if I remember, it's around 175 to 200 PSI. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Make sure when you get there, the trike hasn't been warmed up. They all run better when they're warm. Look at EVERYTHING! When you're done looking at everything, look at it AGAIN! Good luck.

CHAR250R
06-21-2003, 12:21 PM
Sorry about the flash, here's another........