PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting rear shock?

EX 80
01-09-2002, 09:03 PM
I wanted to know every way the stock 400ex rear shock is adjustable, and what are the pro's and con's of each adjustment. thanks

01-10-2002, 07:39 AM
Well if ya got an owners manual it will explain all the adjustments for you..if not then let me know and I'll tell ya,,just didn't wanna type a book if I didn't need too....:D

CranMan
01-10-2002, 09:25 AM
Hey Rico I dont have the manual, and could use a lesson on adjusting front and rear shocks...So type away!!

01-10-2002, 10:14 AM
Well on the front shocks the only adjustment is preload,,which basically is changing the spring tension. If you bottom out your front shocks it doesn't matter what this setting is on,,it's still gonna bottom. I'd put them on soft for trail riding,,makes the bike squat more and soaks up the bumps great. Maybe on the 3rd or 4th notch if your gonna be jumping,,but the 5th is gonna make the quad have a pretty stiff ride.

Now the rear shock has all the bells and whistles. they pretty much come from the factory with a good preload setting,whcih is the adjustment that turns on the very top of the shaft,so I'd leave it alone. The rebound adjustment is on the bottom of the shock,,by the swingarm,,this adjustment is for how fast you want the shock to go back to the normal position after it compress's form say landing a jump. If you set this to fast when you come down from a jump its gonna shoot you over the handlebars like gettin bronced off a horse,,The settings probably Ok from the factory,,if ya play with the rebound too much,,odds are your gonna make things worse than better,,,THE best place to dial in rebound is on a set of whoops. The only thing I ever mess with is the compression dial which is at the top of the shock next to the rezzy. This adjustment is for how fast/slow the shock will compress when landing a jump or hitting bumps. I normally leave mine set pretty close to full soft or maybe halfway but no more.

The compression/rebounds dials have an S & H by the dial it's self,,turn toward S for soft and H for Hard..

If I go trail riding I set my rear shock on full soft compression and when I had the stock fronts I'd set the preload on full soft and talk about a smooth ride. Hope this helped,,,but like I said the rear shock comes setup pretty good from the factory and the only adjustment I ever made was to the compression,,but after I got mine rebuilt I have to completely dial it in to my specs all over..:(

EX 80
01-10-2002, 10:22 AM
Thank you Rico