PDA

View Full Version : Power up kit or dynojet??

01ytrx400ex
08-09-2001, 08:07 AM
I finally am going to get the White Brothers slip on exhaust. Now here comes the jetting.... Should I get the K&N jet kit or a Dynojet kit? I prefer not to cut into my airbox and I like using my UNI air filter. Any suggestions? Thanks Group!

:confused:

08-09-2001, 08:30 AM
When you buy the K&N Power up kit, you actually get the DynoJet jet kit. I'm almost certain the K&N does not have their own jet kit available.

My gripe with the Dynojet kits is that they only mearly provide jetting for the main fuel circuit and do not include jets to change the slow circuit. When you buy their "kit" you're buying about 12 -14 jets for all the possible altitudes. Only a few of those will work for any given altitude, and ultimately, only 1 is the right jet for you. Additionally, dynojet uses a different numbering system for their jets, so it factors in the issue of learning new jet numbers as well.

Unless you are in extreme elevations (above 5000) and your Honda dealer had to rejet out of the crate, the factory main jet in your machine is a 148. Factory pilot jet is a 38. My suggestion would be to buy a few Keihin jets of (say 155 and a 158 main, and a 42 and a 45 pilot) and save yourself the money for something more worthy.

With your Uni filter, and a new White Bros. slip on, my experience tells me to start with the 45 pilot and the 155 main and you'll be very close in your jetting.

Hope this helps!
Have a great day!
Dana

01ytrx400ex
08-09-2001, 08:49 AM
Thanks Bumpy,

From what I have read your advice makes the most since. Should I leave in the default amount of disks on the pipe? I just ordered the jets you suggested and I will be doing the jetting myself. I hope I don't screw it up but it does not should like my local dealers could do it any better! Do you have any tips or suggestions for me?

Thanks!!!

:D

08-09-2001, 07:47 PM
Assuming you've just ordered the slip on, it should come with 12 disks. I'd suggest leaving all 12 in. I'm considering buying an additional six pack of disks to test the possibilities of an additional gain with 15 or 18 disks - but I wouldn't go less than 12. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them here along with a few tips to help you get the jetting done smoothly.

Bumpy