PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Install A Cam

Kilabanshee
06-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Yeah very soon my hot cams going to be in and i was wondering how you install it. I know you take the top of your cylinder off and losen up ur rocker arms then whats next? Anybody have the steps to install a new cam.

dariusld
06-19-2003, 09:34 AM
Is this a 400ex , because if it is, you don't have to loosen up the rocker arms. There is a post on the subject, use search.

UglyMotha™
06-19-2003, 09:35 AM
don't touch the rockers there fine where there at, go get a maintanence manual and consider it your bible

Notu400ex
06-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Make sure you buy your gaskets in a kit. You can get the entire gasket set for rebuilding the whole top-end for about the same price as the gasket you are going to need at a minimum. Then, you will have the extras if you need them.

Kilabanshee
06-19-2003, 01:28 PM
I have to change my top end for a new cam? why do i need a new set of gaskets. Yeah ill bye an owners manual thats should help alot.

UglyMotha™
06-19-2003, 02:23 PM
you don't need to buy any gaskets unless you take your side cover off then you need to replace that one cause it will rip

JD400exrider
06-19-2003, 02:41 PM
You have hot cam stage 2 listed in your sig. Is this new cam going in stock compression piston?

Kilabanshee
06-20-2003, 05:27 AM
Yeah its going with stock compression. Anybody have a online manual for the steps to install the cam. Anything i have to change before the cam. I know i have to change the jetting and a few other small things.

UglyMotha™
06-20-2003, 05:39 AM
nope, go buy a maitanence manual, i doubt the jetting will change and you should have put a higher compression piston in first cause i doubt you'll even be able to feel very much of a difference

YZROOSTINYA
06-20-2003, 07:37 AM
call me and i will do it for you

i am buildingd steveo-s 416 as we speak, and his buddies

Kilabanshee
06-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Yz how much are you charging for the instalation. Pm me your number and ill give you a call up for directions to bring the quad over. My cam should be he within 3-5 days.

hondafox440
06-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Cam installating is simple on the EX. Pull the plastics, gastank, and plastic heat sheild. Pull the head cover off, remembering where the different sized bolts go. I marked mine by numbers, and wrote right on the head cover where they go. Next, look on the rear-right of the head, for a hex nut. This is the tensioner. Remove that bolt. Next, look around the cam for the little post type things that hold it in place, and remove them. Then, slide the old cam out, swap the camwheel onto the new cam, and install it lobes down with the 2 marks on the camwheel lined up with the top of the head, and the flywheel on the 'T' mark. Put the little posts back in place, and the tensioner bolt, replace the head cover gasket, put the quad back together, and fire it up, and rejet as necesary.

Kilabanshee
06-20-2003, 04:36 PM
I still donot get whats the head cover gasket? How much do the usually cost thanks for all the help on the instructions..........:D

UglyMotha™
06-21-2003, 03:55 AM
you can reuse the valve cover gasket i have reused mine about 10 time now and it has yet to rip or even leak, not to mention the valve cover gasket is kinda pricey compared to other gaskets on you motor

the valve cover gasket or head cover whatever ya wanna call it is #3 in this pic click here (http://216.37.204.205/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=74&B=30)

hondafox440
06-21-2003, 04:24 AM
Thats true. There isn't much pressure inside the area by the cam, so just check the gasket for rips and tears, and it it's fine, just clean it off and reuse it.

NTPRacing#19
06-21-2003, 04:52 AM
you should really get a higher compression piston for the cam other wise you just wasted money.

Think about it if those valves are open longer then your building less compression with the stock piston. get a higher compression piston to compensate for the valve duration

dariusld
06-21-2003, 04:54 AM
Another tip when doing your cam, is lean your quad on two wheels (lift the gas knob side) for a couple of minutes. If you don't do this alot of oil leaks out of the head cover when you remove it. The left side of the head(sitting on quad) has a spot where the oil puddles. So even when you drain your oil its still up there. This is also a good tip to get more oil out when doing an oil change.
Next, look on the rear-right of the head, for a hex nut. This is the tensioner. Remove that bolt. On my quad this nut is actually a screw. And its very tight. So make sure you take out the screw before you take off the tensioner, to make it easier to get the screw off.