PDA

View Full Version : help fast please, bleeding the front brakes.

quader400
06-19-2003, 06:32 AM
please help i cant pressurize the front brakes. ive done the rear before but the fronts wont pressurize. i know you like loosen the little nipple thing and then pull the brake lever and hold it then tighten the nipple again and then let go. do you have to do both of the nipples at the same time or what. please help fast. thanks.

06-19-2003, 06:35 AM
you need to get a pump to pull the fluid down to your calipers...

Did ya replace the brake lines????

jmoney45
06-19-2003, 06:38 AM
Or get a small hose, small enough to fit tightly over the bleeder on the caliper. Then suck the air through it until the fluid comes out. That's how I got it to work. I used a transparent hose so I could see the fluid, which helps to avoid a mouthful. I tried the pumping method for an hour before and got nowhere.

Merriman
06-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Fill the brake resevoir up, then start tapping, and shaking on the brake lever and you'll see air bubbles start to float to the top. keep doing this and re-filling the resevoir as needed. When ever the air bubbles stop appearing pump the handle, and bleed both calipers a couple of times.

Wash rinse repeat until you have brakes.

It only took me about 25-30 minutes to do this, but I still had a little bit of fluid in my lines when I started, so it may take longer.

quader400
06-19-2003, 07:43 AM
you dont need an actually brake bleeder just loosen bother nipple things and pump the brake and it all just comes out. i figured it out anyways guys thanks though. it just took longer than i expected because the rear did not take as long as the fronts. but thanks anyways guys.

"BLAHH"300!!
06-19-2003, 12:13 PM
..hey man, start with the front left brake first...the brake farthest away from the res
..i used a oxegen hose from a fish tank to run from the bleeder screw to the res cup..(bleed it into the res-cup, so you don't have to pour from the bottle so much)...had to heat the hose up to get it to go over the nipple..but it'll fit. and it's clear so you can see when all the air's out..

first time i did my front's, i was all kinda mad...had fluid goin everywhere haha...

you might already know all that, but..just incase.

Doibugu2
07-03-2003, 03:28 AM
I can't find my thread that Pappy helped me out with so I'll just use this.

I put new pads on last night and I think I need to bleed the brakes. Is the bleeder screw the thing on the caliper that has the little black cover?

Also, why would I need to bleed my brakes if I didn't do anything? Does air just naturally get in them?

UglyMotha™
07-03-2003, 04:02 AM
yes that's the bleeder the nipple with the black rubber booty and no you shouldn't have to bleed your brakes unless you opened a line somewhere or let the resivore get down so low that you sucked in air but when i do my pads i just take a c-clamp and squeeze the piston back in throw the pads on and your ready to roll

Doibugu2
07-03-2003, 04:53 AM
The pads seem to drag a little bit and I thought the new pads should grab a little better. My fluid is fine, and I never opened the lines.