PDA

View Full Version : xc 400ex intake design

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 06:12 AM
guys im having trouble in the woods....if i come across a stream a foot deep 3 or 4 feet wide and hit it with any speed theres water in the airbox...i ride really agressive and i got a midsouth race at the end of this month and would really like to have a solution to this...i already have a uni filter and supposedly water proof outerwear but its not...i mean after every ride the filter has to be cleaned cause its soaking wet...ive took off the plastic and looked at the design..just wondering how you xc racers set the intake up on your 400's...

UglyMotha™
06-19-2003, 06:25 AM
getcha an outerware and a hose clamp and put over the end of your intake tube

but if your goin in water deaper than your snorkel your goin to have to get ya a setup like those weird utility guys have got

06-19-2003, 06:28 AM
i removed the snorkel and cut my airbox lid so it deflects mud and i got an outerwear snapped on under my airbox lid and ill be racing XC

06-19-2003, 06:31 AM
Run an airbox lid... :cool:

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 06:34 AM
yeah guys im running a lid...only thing is i cant splash through water no matter how deep it is..it sucks...water somehow makes it through the stock intake...i bought one of those small outerwears that goes on the end of the intake tube...but it never would stay on...i guess ill use a hose clamp to keep it on..maybe this wil help the problem a little

06-19-2003, 06:36 AM
hey rico i got a quick q...my dad is a mechanic and we removed the choke on my bike and he said that after u remove the choke u shouldnt change the pilot jet cuz that will be unaffected and that it will be the main jet u will want to move up on because when u r at full throttle the carb opens up more...is that tru?

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 06:37 AM
rico are you guys gonne be at the midsouth race the end of this month in monterey tn? if you remember thats where i talked to you guys at in november..except this time ill be racing not watching.....i reckon im gonna run the open b? ive got a lot of friends that race the open b class and i asked them about c 16-21 class and they said theres a lot of people that wont move out you way in that class and you'll end up tearing your bumper off

dariusld
06-19-2003, 07:47 AM
hey rico i got a quick q...my dad is a mechanic and we removed the choke on my bike and he said that after u remove the choke u shouldnt change the pilot jet cuz that will be unaffected and that it will be the main jet u will want to move up on because when u r at full throttle the carb opens up more...is that tru? I'm not Rico , but thats not true. You use the choke to start a cold engine, a choke has nothing to do with full throttle. The pilot jet has to do with "idle" and you start your bike at idle, not full throttle. The bigger pilot jet is going to give you more gas at start up.

06-19-2003, 08:30 AM
thats not even what i am saying...i am saying that when u remove the choke u get more airflow through the carb...u dont need to move up a pilot jet because u jus pump the throttle 3 times and it starts right up...but when u r at full throttle it is taking advantage of the removed choke and increased airflow giving it more air causing u to need to move up a main jet and leave the pilot jet the same

jshtex
06-19-2003, 08:39 AM
I am not sure if it will help. My son races XC and he runs no top, K&N with outerwear, and the snorkle removed and pluged. and he does not have that problem (wet filter). We clean his filter after every race anyway. We did remove the drain thingy (technical word) so the water can always drain out???

06-19-2003, 08:40 AM
try taking out the drain plug if u already havent so water will drain out and not splash around. Also if u look around the seat there is a gap by the rear fender to into the airbox. I have seen guys place foam there to stop some water from going in.

Zingnut
06-19-2003, 08:43 AM
TRX_Thumper
Are you still using the stock snorkel if so then you must be nose diving into these creeks if possible wheelie hard through them and you will get across with no sign of water in the intake. I use this technique on a stock bike and have never had water in the airbox.

XxHonda_RacerxX
You only really need to go up on the pilot if the temp in you area drops below 60 degrees other than that you should have no issues. I moved up the a 150 main on mine and its all stock. Works fine for me... little on the rich side but runs strong.

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 08:44 AM
xxxhonda racer i really dont like the fact that im trying to get an intake answer here and your bs'in about takin your choke out..ok but ill help you..since you removed the choke more airflow is making it to the motor..you need to bump the pilot up to a 42 to give it more gas to match the more airflow...ive done this before and i know what im talkin bout...also you will prolly want to go up atleast one size on the main jet

06-19-2003, 08:48 AM
dude u dont have to throw a little hissy fit about it...i gave u ur help take ur snorkel off and plug ur box

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 08:49 AM
hissy fit huh seems like you should read the oil coolers thread theres some whyning in there

UglyMotha™
06-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
dude u dont have to throw a little hissy fit about it...i gave u ur help take ur snorkel off and plug ur box

ddduuurrrr, now how is he supposed to get air in the box if he pulls his snorkle off and plugs the hole duuuuuurrrrr :rolleyes:

06-19-2003, 08:51 AM
hes got an outwear on his box right...if he dont then put it on there...cut ur lid to deflect mud and ur set...u get air and there r no water problems

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 08:52 AM
um nope i have the stock lid :huh

UglyMotha™
06-19-2003, 08:54 AM
if he's goin in 3ft deep water cutting a hole in you lid and putting an outerware on it is the stupidest thing you could do the outerware will only deflect water but if it's submerged it goin to start to suck water, best bet would be to leave your snorkle intact :huh

06-19-2003, 08:55 AM
he said 1 foot water not 3 foot :blah:

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 08:56 AM
yeap....i think im just gonna leave the drain plug off....and clamp that outerwears thing on the intake tube where it sucks the air in under the gas tank....and hope for the best.....

UglyMotha™
06-19-2003, 08:57 AM
he said 1 foot water not 3 foot :blah:

my bad it was 3 foot WIDE misread, but the lid idea is still the worst

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 08:58 AM
it doesnt matter how deep 1 foot or 3 im havin problems..where i practice at theres some places you cross thats up to the top of your tires and i have to poke through it...cause if i go fast it splashes everywhere you know and ends up in the airbox....i guess with the drain plug off i should be ok since ive got the outerwears filter cover

06-19-2003, 08:59 AM
i have no water problems at all and i ride through our pond on our course to practice for XC and its about 1 and a half feet deep and no water gets in on mine

RIjon
06-19-2003, 09:01 AM
dude u dont have to throw a little hissy fit about it.

Hissy Fit ?

You Completely Hijacked HIS thread

If you want to ask a specific question abo0t something.... Make your OWN thread

:rolleyes:

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 09:02 AM
yeah its weird everyone else in my group that goes riding with 400's never have water in there airboxs....i dunno i guess its just cause im full throttle through water mud or whatever ....but seriously the other day the were 2 4 wheeler ruts and they had MAYBE 6 inches of water in them i hit them at bout 3rd gear pegged and next thing i know the bike is cuttin out...time to drain the airbox

06-19-2003, 09:02 AM
dude stfu and stop tryin to start stuff...read rule # 1 again...and i was asking rico a question which he odviously didnt answer but u jus need to chill

UglyMotha™
06-19-2003, 09:04 AM
panty waste :confused2

just put an outerware on your snorkle with the hose clamp and make sure you box is sealed real good i wouldn't pull the plug off, run a bead of silicon around the groove in your airbox lid and then put it on, sucker will be sealed tighter than a mofo i know guys that do this and then they like to play in the river, not a crick and they never get a leak, then pop the lid off to service silicon will peel right off and you can apply again

06-19-2003, 09:06 AM
sometimes the water comes off ur front tire into ur snorkel if u have it on still...thats 1 reason i took mine off and now i have no problems

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 09:07 AM
sounds like a good idea...

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 09:07 AM
ah my snorkel is staying on

Bill Fuller
06-19-2003, 11:18 AM
I also run the midsouth series,I run a stock snorkle with my lid on NO holes.I have never had problems with water in my airbox and I have raced the nastiest of races in the last five years(Monterey,Vanleer,Fordsville etc...)It sounds to me like your airbox or snorkle is cracked.Do you have your plastic cut?This will throw water every where.If your motor is sputtering after you go thru water,have you put Die-electric grease on all of your electric conections(spark plug boot).One piece of advice I would give is to slow down at the water crossings,wet hands/gloves or goggles can ruin a good day quickly(after your hands slip off the bars going up a tricky hill you will understand).See you at the races!!!

TRX_Thumper
06-19-2003, 12:53 PM
nope my fenders arent cut or anything...i looked for cracks in the intake everything looks good...i guess i will just need to slow down for the water crossings...yeah i personally know the guys who are cuttin out the track for monterey this year its not the same track you guys raced on in november...all new virgin trail...around 6 miles and very rough lots of tree stubs,roots and rocks the way they talk....