PDA

View Full Version : whats a posi rear?

Stevie-D
06-19-2003, 05:39 AM
what is a posi rear? a guy i work with was tellin me that his wifes truck had a posi rear, and that it does awesome donuts:eek: . so im guessing that a posi rear is a solid rear axle, enablin the car\truck to do donuts, whereas a vehicle without a posi rear would have a split rear axle, so that if one wheel is spinning, the other aint:confused: :confused: fill me in guys:macho

250x#93
06-19-2003, 05:41 AM
Yup thats what a posi is purty much:devil: The way I see it it meens two wheel burnouts instead of the lame 1 wheel burnout:devil:

250x#93
06-19-2003, 05:42 AM
Plus it aids in fourwheelin in mud and rocks and stuff cuz without a posi the one spins and the other one sits there:blah:

Stevie-D
06-19-2003, 05:44 AM
well i dont know:confused: cuz the guy i work with just bought a GMC pickup without posi, and he did a 75-80 foot burnout with both rear tires spinnin with 3 of us in the truck:confused:

UglyMotha™
06-19-2003, 05:53 AM
ther's a bunch of different typ of rearend on the market his might have been a limited slip those will do a two wheel burn out the one wheel will slip so much then it will lockup and spin both i believe

racin 400
06-19-2003, 07:01 AM
a awsome rear end i have on my s-10.

L.Vegas400
06-19-2003, 07:17 AM
open differential- only one tire spins no matter what

limited slip-(most pickups) both spin if hammered but usually wont spin both in a power brake burn out

posi trac-(performance cars) most hopped up street musle cars, spin the same except in a turn

locker- (or weld the spider gears of an open diff) drag racers, rock crawlers and such, both tires spin at same speed no matter what.

in a turn a locker will chirp the inside tire in a turn the others wont

250x#93
06-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Yup what he said ^^^

But an air locker u can un lock so they won't chirp through town and **** but then when off roading u can lockem up:)

"BLAHH"300!!
06-19-2003, 12:16 PM
...go watch the movie "My Cousin Vinnie" one more time
she'll explain it all to you.

CHAUNCY
06-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!
...go watch the movie "My Cousin Vinnie" one more time
she'll explain it all to you.

LMAO... Thats a great movie:p

JUSTINcredible
06-19-2003, 12:26 PM
my truck is a 1 wheeled wonder...

Guy400
06-19-2003, 12:46 PM
I love the clicking sound my locker made when going around corners. If you coasted around corners the locker would disengage and you'd hear it ratcheting. If you were on the throttle anymore than just barely off idle the locker would engage and the inside wheel would chirp.

Moded86R
06-19-2003, 12:55 PM
there are many different types of rearends.The posi rearend is ussually referring to a GM vehicle.Ford has a trac lock.Along time ago chrysler put detroit lockers in muscle cars.

Some of them use a disk that slip.Kind of a like a clutch.They are spring loaded.Other's use a ratcheting mechanism.(detroit locker,as well as others)

Drag racer's ussually run a spool.So there is no differentail at all.Just gears basicly bolted straight to both axle shafts.There is no give at all.It is bad for street.You wear tires out alot quicker.

Also for you guys with open rearends.If you ever need to get both rear tires to spin.Back up a little bit.Just a little.And hold the brake on.Put it in gear and let it eat.This keeps both spider gears locked togother for just a second.It ussually wont last long.But it works.I have done it in many cases with my old s-10.It is an old street racing trick.

BlazingYamahaYz
06-19-2003, 03:10 PM
one of my friends has an f150 with differential(2x4), and only one wheel spins....but then i have this other friend with this awesome dodge ram, with positive rear end, and he was in front of us at a stop, gave it a lil gas and started spinning em....and then he started swerving and went off the road into the ditch.....so then my frined and i peeled out(turned around ehre comes a car) and took off...meanwhile the friend in the ram was just sitting completely in the ditch, the suspension extened....luckily everyone was ok.......

250x#93
06-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Also for you guys with open rearends.If you ever need to get both rear tires to spin.Back up a little bit.Just a little.And hold the brake on.Put it in gear and let it eat.This keeps both spider gears locked togother for just a second.It ussually wont last long.But it works.I have done it in many cases with my old s-10.It is an old street racing trick.

Cool never heard of that before, but def. sounds cool:cool:

250xman
06-19-2003, 07:53 PM
hmm. that really does sound like a cool trick. does it really work? im gonna put a locker in mine pretty soon. i have to go tomarrow and put 1 new tire on my right rear because i have a damn peg leg. the woven stuff inside is starting to show. . all 4 tires were bought at the same time.

brif
06-19-2003, 08:49 PM
posi-traction is GM's trade name for a limited slip rear end. If it's a Dodge/ chrysler it's a sure-grip rearend. A "posi" is a generic term most people use when they are talking about a limited slip rearend. Also alot of people claim their vehicle has a "posi" rearend and do not. If it's a modern vehicle it will have a tag either in the glove box or under the hood stating so (as long as the rearend is original) this tag also has the gear ratio and the paint code, trim code and some other misc. info that varies by manufacturers.

Moded86R
06-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Yes it really does work.Like i said though it doesn't last long.

Today was quite interesting.I had just got off work and my manager told me to do a burnout.(she is a very cool lady)So I did one.Well I was still in a racing sort of mood.I don't condone street racing whatsoever.

In my town if you are first at a red light the chances are you are going to catch every red light.Well guess what I was the first one.I ended up next to a 4.3 5 speed 4wd s-10.It had aftermarket wheels,exhaust and some other things.Well he throws revvs.I ignore him and keep going the speed limit.Wellwe catch the next light togother.Same routine he throws revs.So I watch the light and punch it as it goes green.I put about a 1/2 a car on him.Then I shifted into 2nd.I missed!By the time I got it in gear he had caught up about even.So I stay into it and slowly pull away.By 80 I had him by a four car lengths.(we where racing down a highway.Not through town or anything)

And then as I was coming home from get my new razr mx’s put on a Saturn with a fart pipes tries to race me.I quickly leave him in rearview.She was running pretty good today.

CowsBitePeople
06-21-2003, 03:28 AM
Im gettin a possie rear in my car :D :)