PDA

View Full Version : 493 1st ride report

shaneb
06-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Went to pismo it was windy blowing sand so I could not dial in the bike at all so I had to take it to the flat and just run it .

It was a bit rich and I had to put the stock rev box back in becuase my dyna box was not working ..

That being siad I have VERY happy with my FDO 493.

It was running 56mph up hill in about 100 yards. This was the top of 3rd gear

I was about 5 to 7 bikes behind the sparks raptor for comparison.

I wont bother to talk about all the other drag pipe banshee that I beat ...

I still need to dail in the bike a bit but I should be able to hit 65 ....

I am really happy with this engine and look forward to being able to dial in it to full potential.

anywhereEx
06-18-2003, 04:56 PM
if you do not mind me asking what was the damage report on your wallet(or at learst approx)? I have been considering going with one of mikes engines for a while now.

shaneb
06-18-2003, 05:18 PM
talk to mike it depends how you build it ....

abcracing
06-18-2003, 06:04 PM
hey shane its bill i'm glad your happy with your motor. we was looking around the shop for ur # tonight but couldn't find it.mike wanted to give u a call to see what u thought of it.u can either call him or post on here what u liked and what u didn't like about it.mike gets on here and checks up on some things so i'm sure he would read it also. later BILL

twisted threads
06-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by shaneb
It was a bit rich and I had to put the stock rev box back in becuase my dyna box was not working ..
How long have you had the Dyna Rev Box?? I was thinking about getting one but im not sure if there worth the money.?

shaneb
06-19-2003, 02:59 AM
abc I spoke to Mike ....

I am going to return the dyna box, it does not look like it it worth the money ...

Shane

norcalatver
06-19-2003, 12:12 PM
shane b, I will be at Pismo the weekend of the 11th, 12th, and 13th with my 493 from FDO. I saw on your web site you were only able to go 50 mph with your old 440 and 56 mph with this new motor. Where are you riding that you are only able to accomplish these low numbers? A stock 400 EX will go faster than 50 MPH on flat ground. I've been to Pismo too many times to count, have you been out in back on comp hill getting these numbers? or risking a ticket and doing it on the beach? Is it possible you speedometer is dialed in wrong? What are you using to check speed? Thanks, Dave

shaneb
06-19-2003, 12:19 PM
this was only a 100yard race at the flats..

I was at the top of 3rd gear going 56, measured by radar and my gps

I will be ther the 12th and 13th too !!

How long have you had your 493 ...

What compression are you running ??

How is your bike setup swing arm etc ..

I look forward to racing you !!!

have you ever measured your mph on the flats ??

Shane

norcalatver
06-19-2003, 12:37 PM
shaneb, My 493 is suppose to arrive any day now, supposedly shipped Monday.
I'm running 12.66:1 compression, FDO race cam, heavy duty timing chain, over sized studs, fcr 39mm carb, pingry's oil tank, Dunlap's oil cooler, TCS shocks, +2+1 a-arms, x-33 axle, ct race pipe, over sized valves, port polish etc..
Top speed on my LRD 440, 13:1 compression and every thing else the same, was 67 mph, dirt road.

shaneb
06-19-2003, 01:41 PM
cool I have 11.5/1 compression sure the rest is the same I have a 41mm fcr ...

I am going to feel bad beating another 493 but it must be done :D

Where do you camp ???

I am normally between 5 and 7 ...

I will pm you my cell number send me your back so we can contact each other on the beach ....

What rear tires do you have ???

Shane

Chanman420q
06-19-2003, 01:45 PM
my stock 400ex did 61 on a paved road in front of my moms car..... i was at the very top of 5th......... ur numbers have to be off :huh

norcalatver
06-19-2003, 03:55 PM
shaneb, did I mention I am running alcohol?

shaneb
06-19-2003, 04:27 PM
chanman i was going 56 in 3rd !!!!

Shane

shaneb
06-19-2003, 04:36 PM
David give me a call if you need help with installing your engine ....

I would plan on adjusting your valves after your first couple hours of riding ...

Do you have a rev box ???

You will hit the stock rev limiter very quick !!!

Talk to Mike Laz has a really good rev box for about $120

Shane

pnut420
06-19-2003, 05:52 PM
cool I have 11.5/1 compression sure the rest is the same I have a 41mm fcr ...

I am going to feel bad beating another 493 but it must be done :D

Where do you camp ???

I am normally between 5 and 7 ...

I will pm you my cell number send me your back so we can contact each other on the beach ....

What rear tires do you have ???

Shane

I can't wait to heat you cry like a baby when he puts the hurt on you, thats what you get for opening your mouth, hmm, hes running alcohol, later Shane.:p

And their are plenty of banshees that would work you any day, I dont think you were beating that many drag banshees, well maybe if you consider exhaust, carb, and extended swing arm to be a drag bike then yeah, but the drag banshees I see out there would work you a guarantee, more like 70mph in 100 yards

Chanman420q
06-19-2003, 07:08 PM
chanman i was going 56 in 3rd !!!!

Shane

:uhoh:

:tired: ...... thats it?

:blah:

pnut420
06-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
:uhoh:

:tired: ...... thats it?

:blah:

Last time I checked alcohol gives a 20% power inrease and 12.66:1 will own 11.5:1 with a 41mm. :eek2:

shaneb
06-20-2003, 03:16 AM
bring it on !!!

shaneb
06-20-2003, 03:17 AM
pNutBag

I already list the bikes that were faster than me, and yes some of the drag banshees are really fast ...

chill out !!!

Shane

pnut420
06-20-2003, 04:00 AM
pNutBag

I already list the bikes that were faster than me, and yes some of the drag banshees are really fast ...

chill out !!!

Shane

Ill chill out, so the Sparks quad was the only one faster than you, damn thats crazy. :rolleyes:

shaneb
06-20-2003, 05:36 AM
No there were some banshees that were faster than me too and a 250r

The really fast stuff runs about 75mph ...

I do not think I will get the 493 to run that fast

pnut420
06-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Is there anyone that runs 75 mph in the 100 yard flats? If their is thats hella cool. I plan on doing a 440 stroker in the future, but Im not sure its worth it. Might just keep the 426 and get a 250r or a banshee. I love the Honda reliabilty so Ill probably go 250r.

Anyway, your quad sounds bad *** man, good luck at the drags.

shaneb
06-20-2003, 06:09 AM
thanks ...

I would build a 12.5 to one 416 with some head work wb exhaust and a 39mm fcr carb.

I would get fdo or sparks to do the head work ...

There was a sparks 416 on gas that was even with my 440 .....

If you are going to build a stroker let FDO wbiuld you a 463 or 493 ...

Shane

310Rduner
06-20-2003, 08:41 AM
hey shaneb.. was that sparks raptor the blue one with the number plates and i think graphcis kit? shaved fenders too right? i think i remember him being out there in the drags about a month or so ago.. he was freaking FASTTT

he was actually beating some of the drag banshees if i remember right.. i was like 5-6 biek lengths behind him lmfao....:tired:

i did kick his arse on the starts tho.. :macho :devil:

3rd gear he went buh bye tho.. its seriously got to be a stroker.. cause i hardly ever get beaten by raptors unless i miss some shifts..:p

310Rduner
06-20-2003, 08:42 AM
ohh found out for sure that my group will be there From Tuesday to Thursday night...:ermm: no weekend i guess will you be there during the week at all?

shaneb
06-20-2003, 09:27 AM
it was the black one ....(raptor)

pnut420
06-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
hey shaneb.. was that sparks raptor the blue one with the number plates and i think graphcis kit? shaved fenders too right? i think i remember him being out there in the drags about a month or so ago.. he was freaking FASTTT

he was actually beating some of the drag banshees if i remember right.. i was like 5-6 biek lengths behind him lmfao....:tired:

i did kick his arse on the starts tho.. :macho :devil:

3rd gear he went buh bye tho.. its seriously got to be a stroker.. cause i hardly ever get beaten by raptors unless i miss some shifts..:p

Stroker, man that thing has way more than just a stroker motor in it, but I think it was a 770 if I remember right.

I got into an agrument with a friend, I said you take the fastest two stroke and the fastest four stroke and the two stroke will usually win. He got a little defensive and said the sparks raptor beat every quad that the sand flats had to offer. I called B/S on that. Ive seen some drag banshees that were so fast, the guys could hardly even ride them. So I got in a little argument.

chad502ex
06-20-2003, 01:58 PM
it was the black one ....(raptor)

shane. I went to your webpage and saw your dyno report. The dyno results seems right on. My old 490 pulled 44hp too! My new 502 pulls 46. Anyway, seems right on target!

Chad502ex.com

norcalatver
06-20-2003, 04:27 PM
Thought I'd update my 493 motor. Motor was suppose to ship Monday and arrive in 3-5 days. It's now Friday night and not only is my motor not in my quad, its not even in California.:( I haven't been able to reach anyone at FDO for three days. (no one answers the phone), but I did get in contact with the shipper tonight. They said it is in transit. That's all they could tell me. Hopefully it will show up early next week.:D I am just bummed because I have been promised the motor for weeks and still don't have it. I am going to be out of town for the following two weekends and won't be able to break the motor in before Pismo:mad: :mad: I'll post back in the future when I get the motor and will post dyno results on alcohol and race fuel.

shaneb
06-20-2003, 05:55 PM
chad502

That dyno run was for my 440 ... Chad I would say that your dyno just reads low are you need to do a bit more tuning. Whatr does a stock 400ex make on the dyno you use ???

the 493 should make 55 to 60

I will get in on the dyno in the next 6 months after it is dialed in ...

norcalatver there is not much to break in just the cam. You do not need to breakin the bore ....

Oh and banshee chick smoked the 690 that won four strole wars ..

http://www.ohtonracing.com/pictures/chick.jpg

the sparks raptor was running 67mph there are some 2 strokes that run close to 80 at pismo

Shane

shaneb
06-20-2003, 06:01 PM
chad I bet your cam is too small or it is too advanced. your power cure is too flat.

But then again maybe you need it that way.

If you advanced your cam or replaced it you could make more peak power.

You might not loses any on the bottom either ...

Shane

chad502ex
06-21-2003, 04:17 AM
chad I bet your cam is too small or it is too advanced. your power cure is too flat.

But then again maybe you need it that way.

If you advanced your cam or replaced it you could make more peak power.

You might not loses any on the bottom either ...

Shane

shane, that's right!

the curve is flat as a result of my woods cam. A woods cam is not lobed to produce peak power in the upper rpm's of the powerband. I prefer it this way. I ride xc. Realistically, it's best to get peak power in the entire powerband and not just in a small tiny area like two stroke power curve. In other words, I'd prefer to have power that is peak and flat for most of powerband and looks like step function than to worry about getting my motor in this tiny rpm range. Yes, I could get a peaky cam to hit on top and maybe get me 48hp, but I'd prefer 46hp for the entire rpm range than 48 within only a 100rpm. ;)

Chad502EX.com

steve7467
06-21-2003, 02:01 PM
mmmm banshee chick. you should put a picture of her quad next time... what? her quad was in the pic. hmm didn't notice.