PDA

View Full Version : air box lid mod

chevy71
06-18-2003, 03:57 PM
I was at the local home improvment store in the lawn mower aisle when I got an idea (good or bad I don't know). Here it is...

When doing the air box mod to get more air in (k&n filter installed, outerwears optional based on my idea) find an air filter from a Briggs&Stratton 5 horse motor. Cut a hole in the air box lid and install the filter in the hole. Keep it in place by making brackets that bolt through the lid.

Now you have a large air opening that will prefilter air for around 5$.

I didn't do this yet. Has any? Does this sound like a pea-brain idea?

Let me know...

James

nismo
06-19-2003, 02:28 AM
i never thought of anything like that but do it and let me know cheap mods are great

06-19-2003, 02:47 AM
Do you have a pic of the B&S filter?

Untill you throw water into the mix the outerwares (either the filter wrap or the air box cover one) work excelent and keep out more sand and dust than I had thought they would.

Water on the hand just seems to still clog everything up and the water repelant ones are only slightly better.

The problem I have seen is designing the lid to stop the water without restricting the air flow.

So lets see a pic of what your thinking.

Pappy
06-19-2003, 02:51 AM
i was checking out bill balance's set up. he was running no lid....but used red air conditioner filter material cut to outline the air box . it was treated with airfilter spray(maybe cause of the red color) the center was wide open.....and when the rear plastic was installed it completed the "closed" box but i reckon allowed in air while keeping debris out:ermm:

chevy71
06-19-2003, 04:13 AM
440EX you have a point I didn't think about - water.
I don't ride in water or when its really wet so I wouldn't worry about that disintegrating the paper B&S filter. I just worry about the fine dust in my area.

The filter I saw was about 5"x5"x3/4". It has a rubber "gasket" about 1/4" wide that the paper element is molded in. Sorry no pics available.

To me it seems like an ok idea for dry conditions.

I haven't done it yet but I probably will in the near future after I finish building my shed. Then I have to find a digital camera to take snaps.

James

XANDADA
06-19-2003, 05:12 AM
I would absolutely love to see someone come out with something that kept out water/mud yet increased airflow. I would pay some serious cash for one that worked great. I paid $200 for a graydon aluminum airbox which has an open top and a water repellent filterskin over the opening. The filterskin doesn't repel anything and only lasts a few rides. The amount of airflow getting sucked through the filterskin just tears it up, literally. I'm already on my fifth one and at $25 a pop that adds up. I've found a scary amount of mud/water in the airbox several times:(

Diedrich
06-19-2003, 10:27 AM
i got the uni airvents drilled in my lid and they work better than what i thought. i've never found anything in my box and i've road thru my share of mud

06-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
I would absolutely love to see someone come out with something that kept out water/mud yet increased airflow. I would pay some serious cash for one that worked great. I paid $200 for a graydon aluminum airbox which has an open top and a water repellent filterskin over the opening. The filterskin doesn't repel anything and only lasts a few rides. The amount of airflow getting sucked through the filterskin just tears it up, literally. I'm already on my fifth one and at $25 a pop that adds up. I've found a scary amount of mud/water in the airbox several times:(

I know what you mean. The outerware air box cover is a joke but it does keep out the dirt and dust and would be great for the guy looking to try the AC filter. I have not had any dust or dirt in the air box since this mod unless its real wet and the crap goes thru with the water. (see pic below)

I have been thinking about designing a non filtered lid or mod that would keep out water only or even possibly add some type of a filter for dust etc, but just have not had the time to actually finish it.

There are a few tricks that will allow air to enter and just push the water out but its gonna be hard with the space avail above the air box.

I have talked to a guy about running a second snorkle that should flow well without the water concerns but wouldnt do anything for the dust and I wouldnt know about it flowing like a open lid until it was used etc.

06-19-2003, 09:12 PM
pic