PDA

View Full Version : crankcase breather??

RideRed400StYlE
06-18-2003, 03:53 PM
alright I recently redid my entire motor, lightened flywheel, new rod, 13:1 comp 426 piston, new rings, all that good stuff. I couldnt remember how much oil the bike took because its been a while.. lmao well I put somewhere around 2 and a half to 3 quarts of oil in it. well I noticed that my airbox had about a half a quart of oil in it coming from the crankcase breather. so I though well I put too much oil in. I noticed this after the break in period. I changed the oil. drained all that old stuff out, and I put like 1.9 quarts back in. well the oil is still coming into my airbox. now I am thinking maybe there was still that much oil inside my motor, but I cant see that. could there be that much more air being sucked into my motor to the point where it is starving for air from the filter and starts pulling air from the crankcase breather. the bike doesnt smoke at all. and it runs like a raped ape. like the power is unreal from bottom to top. so I cant see it being the rings. I made sure that they were not on upside down, and I also made sure that the grooves did not line up all the way around just like it shows in the repair manual. Does anyone have any tips? I also went with a bigger cam, ported the head, and I am running a FCR 39mm. is it possible with that much compression that it is really trying to suck that much air in to pull the oil out of the motor, or did I just wayy overfill my tank. any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

RideRed400StYlE
06-19-2003, 07:17 AM
bump!

L.Vegas400
06-19-2003, 07:38 AM
i read this and tried to think but my head started smoking from the work...

you riding on flat ground or stand the quad up or somthing?

RideRed400StYlE
06-19-2003, 10:41 AM
no, its not standing up. just riding around normal. I dont know if I am getting blow by by the piston causing all that to be pushed right out my motor, or if there is still too much oil in there. or maybe my airbox is too restrictive and it cant suck enough air in causing it to try and suck air in from the breather? I am completely lost here. the thing runs awesome. no smoke. and its a brand new top end so I cant see it being that. I checked up on all of the specs before I installed. and everything looked good. I have read alot of other posts( old posts) about this subject and no one got an answer yet. I hope its something stupid and not a major problem.

L.Vegas400
06-19-2003, 10:51 AM
well the breather comes out the upper part of the case, so i dont think it it cause you have it over filled, its got to be something else

kineo3
06-20-2003, 03:39 AM
All I can tell you is good luck!! I had and still have the same problem before and after a top end rebuild. I can't seem to find an answer either. I ended up by passing my crank case breather with a longer hose and run it up the frame to the back of the quad. This keeps my airbox from filling up with oil and the hose is long enough so it does not shoot out the back. It sounds like you may have overfilled it quite a bit. I think it calls for 1.95 quarts on a regular oil change. I believe it is a hair more when you do a rebuild. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with yours :D

RideRed400StYlE
06-20-2003, 06:16 AM
I hope so too. But whatever I am going to put a breather on mine too THanks

bmw500hp
06-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Dude, ring Lazarus, he probly has an idea for ya..