PDA

View Full Version : Too much oil.....?

2000400EX
06-18-2003, 03:02 PM
I just changed my oil last weekend (switched to mobil 1 15w-50) and I did everything by the book. I drained the tank and the crankcase. Changed to filter. I put in about 75% of recommended oil, started it and let it idle for 5 mins. and then checked it again. I only needed a little bit to bring it to the "upper" mark on the dipstick. So then I rode around my back yard and let the oil get good and hot. I checked it again and it was on the "upper" mark as it should be. Now here's the wierd part, today I rode my quad for about an hour or two, pretty hard and I stopped after about an hour an let the motor idle for 5 mins. so I could check the oil. When I checked it the oil was all the way up to the top of the tank! Some one please explain this to me! I know the oil will expand a little bit, but is this normal? I don't want to be running too much oil 'cause I know that's bad for the motor. Did I do something wrong when I changed the oil?:confused:

JOEX
06-18-2003, 03:22 PM
After you shut it off let it rest for about 5 minute before checking.

Joe

2000400EX
06-19-2003, 04:57 AM
bump

06-19-2003, 09:06 AM
as long as it wasnt flowing out the top ur fine. When u run it real hard it will get real hot and go up to the top. Thats why you should not go above the upper mark bc it will build to much pressure

"BLAHH"300!!
06-19-2003, 11:47 AM
While were on the subject....
...how do you guy's check your oil?
I put the stick in the hole, then screw it in
just enugh to catch the threads,
then take it out and look at it....is this right?..(300EX)

the distance between the add/full marks,
is about the same as the length of the threads on the stick...
so i get 2 completely differant readings if i screw it all the way in, or screw it in like i described above.....

Or should i screw it in about half way, to check it?

Oil-filter's..
..their cheep, i've got 3 extra's on the shelf out there, so i'm not hurtin for filter's. i usually change my filter everyother oil-change.
I was wondering if i could wash out the used filter, and reuse them?..thier papper, and will prolly break up,...i was just curiouse.

Valve adjustment...
..when should i do this?..4 ride's on the motor,
only 1 of those ride's, was a full day....
should i do it now, or give it a little more time..

Thx, :blah:

QuadTrix6
06-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!

Dont screw the dipstick in. Just take it out clean off the old oil put it in take it out and look. Also you check the oil after it has been cold then just idled for 5 minutes for an accurate reading.

Oil-filter's..
..their cheep, i've got 3 extra's on the shelf out there, so i'm not hurtin for filter's. i usually change my filter everyother oil-change.
I was wondering if i could wash out the used filter, and reuse them?..thier papper, and will prolly break up,...i was just curiouse.

I change my filter EVERY oil change. You cant wash out the paper ones but they do make a reusable one. Not sure how good it is either. I also use OEM oil filters from service honda.

Valve adjustment...

About once or twice a year or if they start ticking earlier.

RoadkillerRyan
06-21-2003, 05:54 AM
ya my oil is at upper for some reason and its pretty black and i cant ride for 3 more days till my parents get back from paris soo
with all that said, should i just change my oil/filter now?

JD400exrider
06-22-2003, 04:20 PM
If the oil is black CHANGE IT!

Scott-300ex
06-26-2003, 04:10 PM

the distance between the add/full marks,
is about the same as the length of the threads on the stick...
so i get 2 completely differant readings if i screw it all the way in, or screw it in like i described above.....

Or should i screw it in about half way, to check it?

Oil-filter's..

Valve adjustment...

TAKE THE DIPSTICK OUT AND WIPE IT OFF, THEN PUT IT IN BY LETTING IT SIT ON THE THREADS, DO NOT SCREW IT IN, THEN ADD IF NECCASARY

I CHANGE MY FILTER EVERY OIL CHANGE, AND DO NOT WASH IT OUT

LOOK IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL FOR VALVE ADJUSTMENT, IT SAYS TO CHECK IT THE FIRST TIME AFTER I THINK 20 HOURS OF RIDING