PDA

View Full Version : transmission howl

dunerr
06-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Ilet someone ride my 2001 400 ex for most of the weekend in the sand. He was pretty hard on it. Now i can here a very slight howl, when i just start putting power to it in second gear. someone else might not notice but i know the sound wasnt there before. The bike shifts fine and runs great , but i hate this mystery sound. It kind of sounds like what an old hoda 90 sounded like in low range. Has anyone had this problem???

06-18-2003, 01:06 PM
u shoulda nve rlet someone else take your quad for a weekend thru the dunez. I dont know what the sound is that your talking about but it cant be good.

AAAirbooorn
06-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
u shoulda nve rlet someone else take your quad for a weekend

:eek2: :huh :eek2: :huh :eek2: :huh I'd change the oil and filter , take off the carb & run your finger around the engines intake to check it for sandy grit.

dhines
06-19-2003, 02:26 AM
Mine started doing the exact same thing a little while back. 1st gear sounds just fine but when I shift into 2nd it starts making noise just like you described. 3rd, 4th, and 5th all sound fine.

The problem is almost assuredly either 2nd gear getting ready to come apart (I've seen 2nd come loose on many 400's) or perhaps a shift fork is bent or otherwise damaged.

Either way, it's time to take that bad boy apart and go through the tranny. I'm already in the middle of rebuilding one of my dad's engines after he destroyed 2nd gear. As soon as I'm done, I'll get to work on the "howler." ;)

dunerr
06-19-2003, 03:03 AM
I have a quad for everyone in the family. My step son was in town so i let him ride mine while i drove the rail. The filtration on the bike is in great repair. I dont even get sand into the box with my modifications and it breathes great. If the bike had an aftermarket pipe i would never notice the noise. This upcoming winter i will most likely tear it down. I may ride it once more this summer and hope it doesnt come appart. roll the dice. When i do pull this one appart its first time. I have completly tore down many blasters, split the cases, replaced bearings and gears etc. But thuis would be the first 4 stroke. Time to buy a book. i wonder how many specialty tools i will need. I have a blaster fly wheel puller but i bet its the wrong size. I will also check with some of the shops and get there opinion of the prob. A slightly bent shift fork sounds like a good canidate. That is what I am betting on.

Has any one else out there seen this problem .

dunerr
06-20-2003, 02:54 AM
bump

bmw500hp
06-22-2003, 12:12 PM
dune

Although not familiar with the problem or the solution I did recently read a post about replacing 2nd gear..It was mentioned that the repair is "not as bad as you think" if that helps..Try a search on "second" or "gear" you might get lucky. That post wasn't more than a few weeks old.