View Full Version : Another Project 400ex Question - What is Wrong with the RPM Brake Hub?

Ben
06-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Check out these two pictures. I can't for the life of me figure out what I am missing here. The rear brake caliper will slide over the disk but will not come close to bolting up to the bearing carrier. The plate on the bearing carrier which the disk hub bolts to cannot come out any further because it has a retaining ring. Why is the disk so friggin far from the hub? Right now I can't bolt the rear brake caliper down :cuss:

Perhaps if I hadn't been fooling with this Project every day for the last three weeks I would see what I am missing - but I am worn out and ready to be done with this project :macho:

Thanks guys! :D

Ben
06-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Now what it looks like when the caliper is attached....

250rpilot
06-18-2003, 01:01 PM
that happened to me once, and it turned out that i didnt have my grease seals pressed in far enough. check to see if that may be a problem. or than that i dunno much about 400ex's, im a 250r kinda guy

Guy400
06-18-2003, 02:33 PM
For *****s and giggles, take that RPM brake hub/lock-nut off and thread your stock hub on and see if the results are the same.

Pappy
06-18-2003, 02:37 PM
you dont happen to have the rotor hub on backwards do ya:confused:

also you will need to tighten the axle nut up in order for everything to line up properly and that may seat the retaining ring:ermm:

J25
06-18-2003, 03:47 PM
im not sure what your saying but i couldnt get my caliper to bolt up becuse the carrier was too far out off adjustment, i adjusted it a little and it allowed the carrier to bolt up

RIjon
06-18-2003, 05:35 PM
I'm with Kenny

It just might be on backwards

Other than that I have no idea :huh

Guy400
06-18-2003, 11:43 PM
I don't remember the rotor at all. But I thought those big, course threads were what the anti-fade nut screwed onto and they were machined into the brake hub making only one way to screw the hub on. But, if that rotor is two-piece than flipping it around would definitely make up for the gap you've got now. Ben, is part #1 and #2 in my pic one piece or can they be seperated? If they can be seperated than you need to removed the brake hub, flip it around and that's probably your problem. I don't remember that assembly besides you showing it to me in the box.

Ben
06-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Yes, the threads for the antifade nut are machined onto the hub, making it impossible to flip around. I fail to believe that adjusting the bearing carrier would make any difference whatsoever but I am at the end of my rope so I will give it a shot :cuss:

ZRacer
06-19-2003, 01:00 AM
I see your problem!

OK, you installed a RPM Millenium Tapered Bearing Carrier, which comes with its own Brake Caliper Mount. Their Caliper Mount requires spacers to mount the caliper. If you look a the thickness of a Stock 400EX caliper bracket and the RPM this will be very obvious. The Antifade is installed correctly.

Find your two caliper spacers and you should be golden:D

Ben
06-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by ZRacer
I see your problem!

OK, you installed a RPM Millenium Tapered Bearing Carrier, which comes with its own Brake Caliper Mount. Their Caliper Mount requires spacers to mount the caliper. If you look a the thickness of a Stock 400EX caliper bracket and the RPM this will be very obvious. The Antifade is installed correctly.

Find your two caliper spacers and you should be golden:D

Harlen - I did notice that the stock plate was significantly thicker but I assumed that the RPM design had taken that into account. I'll search for spacers but I don't remember seeing any. I figured last night you would have some good information :D Thanks! :muscle: :D

jlhughes750
06-19-2003, 01:22 AM
good eye ZRACER!!!;)

Pappy
06-19-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
good eye ZRACER!!!;)

i reckon he is just not another pretty face :o

RIjon
06-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Roger That

Guy400
06-19-2003, 09:59 AM
I don't remember seeing any spacers in the box but I really didn't dig through to look for them.

06-19-2003, 10:36 AM
the brake hub doesnt look like its seated in the seal to me, that happend to me once ,or what the other guy said, why dont u put the old holder on and polish it up real good:confused:

K_Fulk
06-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Its on there right, i used the metal spacers from the stock a-arm bushing for spacers.

400MXer
06-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Zracer is 100% correct. My millenium carrier came with two al. spacers that go where your gap is. it should have come with the carrier, if i didn't, i get on the horn with RPM. that would fix your problem.

bmw500hp
06-21-2003, 10:30 AM
There are spacers that RPM has for 30.00...someshatg described as the ones you need. Doesn't seem like thew would charge for something design could have elimited however.

Rip_Tear
06-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Did you find them yet Ben? I am having problems understanding the whole, but I would like to see how it is supposed to look so I can understand :D