PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

exrider123
06-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Is it worth it to start my own small polishing buisness. Need help I am hoping to make some money over the summer for the quad because i really wont be doing anything over the summer but riding so I need something to do.

AtvMxRider
06-18-2003, 10:33 AM
Go for it. What have you got to lose?

250x#93
06-19-2003, 05:24 AM
I dunno, seems like everyone has a polishin business. Plus most people just polish their own stuff, I just don't really think that many people will want u to polish stuff but I guess u could give it a try

exrider123
06-20-2003, 03:58 PM
bump

exrider123
06-20-2003, 04:32 PM
guys keep in mind running it out of the garage on my free time is how i'll be doing it because i dont have much to do over the summer except go riding so hopefully i can make some money for the quad.

[BFJ]
06-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Start is as a side business and see how things work out. I started polishing in 1976 (14 years old), when I was building street rods with my father. I did alot of work for his friends also, but I wasn't experienced enough to make alot of money. Sold what equipment I had when I joined the Army in '83 and when I got out in '89 I wanted to start polishing again for extra money. Bought a small buffer and die grinders and did alot of my own stuff, people saw it and wanted theirs done also. Quit a good managers job making good money to go work at a chrome shop to gain more experience. I learned alot, everyone has their own tricks and tips. Most people won't share them with others, even co-workers. You can learn alot working next to someone. Now I own my own business, J&S Polishing. I have been in business for myself for 8 years now, it is hard work, and requires alot of comitment. If you want to talk, shoot me a PM and I will give my phone number, and answer any questions you have.

I almost forgot, I am new here, bought a 400 ex for my wife and found this site. Awesome web site!!! Right now her 400ex is all apart, frame is at the powder coater, a-arms are Lonestars that I bought used are at the chrome shop, installing 440 kit this weekend, and everything aluminum on the bike is polished. I should have the bike back together by mid July and will post pics if I can figure out how.

Sorry for the long post!!!!!

BFJ

JD400exrider
06-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Welcome aboard BFJ
Nice post for the guy trying to start out on his own. Good to see someone in the business giving another some good advice. You will find this site has allot of good info.

Diedrich
06-20-2003, 06:13 PM
go for it dude..aint got nothin to lose

sparks400
06-20-2003, 06:20 PM
hey i dont see no problem it in, pretty soon me and my friend r goin to start up a powder coating bussines, we r buyin our powder coater in the next week or 2 and the sand blaster this weekend, if anyone needs anything im goin to be charging yall for a cheap price to. but dont count on it soon i got to practice, but how hard can it be lol i dont kno yet, wellgood luck starting ur lil polishing bussines srry for goin of topic lol.

exrider123
06-21-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by [BFJ]
Start is as a side business and see how things work out. I started polishing in 1976 (14 years old), when I was building street rods with my father. I did alot of work for his friends also, but I wasn't experienced enough to make alot of money. Sold what equipment I had when I joined the Army in '83 and when I got out in '89 I wanted to start polishing again for extra money. Bought a small buffer and die grinders and did alot of my own stuff, people saw it and wanted theirs done also. Quit a good managers job making good money to go work at a chrome shop to gain more experience. I learned alot, everyone has their own tricks and tips. Most people won't share them with others, even co-workers. You can learn alot working next to someone. Now I own my own business, J&S Polishing. I have been in business for myself for 8 years now, it is hard work, and requires alot of comitment. If you want to talk, shoot me a PM and I will give my phone number, and answer any questions you have.

I almost forgot, I am new here, bought a 400 ex for my wife and found this site. Awesome web site!!! Right now her 400ex is all apart, frame is at the powder coater, a-arms are Lonestars that I bought used are at the chrome shop, installing 440 kit this weekend, and everything aluminum on the bike is polished. I should have the bike back together by mid July and will post pics if I can figure out how.

Sorry for the long post!!!!!

BFJ

thanks [BFJ] appreciate you helping me out with all that info and welcome to exriders.