PDA

View Full Version : Shocks and A-arms terminalogies

promisc
06-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Hi folks, i have my 400ex for a year and i need to change somes parts to make it more stable and powerful. I already have a T-4 slip-on, K&N filter and Dynojet kit. Im reading about a-arms, swingarms and shocks now and there is many terminalogy that i dont exactly understand. Maybe someone can explain me whats those terms means:

A-Arms:
+0, +1, +2...
+1 "Forward"...

does it mean +1inch wider?

Shocks:
Dual rates, Triple rates, Preload etc...

Thanks

exriderdude
06-18-2003, 08:50 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40773&highlight=suspension

Nausty
06-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by promisc

A-Arms:
+0, +1, +2...
+1 "Forward"...

does it mean +1inch wider?

Shocks:
Dual rates, Triple rates, Preload etc...

Thanks

the +x shows how many inches wider it is on each side of the a-arm and the same can be said for the stem. The +x forward moves the wheels a inch forward to make the machine more stable if you got a lengthened rear end.

single rate, dule rates, ect just show how many springs are in the shocks.

Preload can either be sag where the quad sits lower and uses up some of the travel. Or people say to preload a jump so that you can jump higher.

wilkin250r
06-18-2003, 11:39 AM
The first number is always wider. a +1 is one inch wider, the +2 is two inches wider, ect... This will give you a wider wheelbase, which will improve your cornering speeds, and it will also allow you to increase your wheel travel, in conjunction with a set of shocks set up for longer a-arms.

A set of +2 a-arms will make your front wheelbase 4 inches wider.

Occasionally you will see +2 +1, which means 2 inches wider, 1 inch foward. This is extremely common on the 250r's, because in the 88 and 89 a-arms are 1 inch foward in the frame than the 86 and 87, so many people put 1 inch foward a-arms on the 86 and 87 to give it the same wheelbase as the 88 and 89 (and some mods to the rear swingarm as well)

promisc
06-19-2003, 03:03 AM
If im not planning to change my swing-arm, but i want my front a litle bit wider, i should buy a +1(or+2) / +0 forward a-arms to keep the same balancing? I want to change my front shocks too, so i need shocks that fits my a-arms or all shocks will fits ? Maybe i will go with Works Triple Rates shocks. Is +x apply to shocks lenght too?

An other question, at which position should i put the rear shock adjustment? (bottom-end or middle?) i do jumping and rockers more than trails.

Thanks

wilkin250r
06-19-2003, 07:59 AM
+2 A-arms are most common, but you can also get stock length, +1, and +3.

The shock mount position is the same on all a-arms regardless of length (with the exception of Long Travel a-arms) so any shock will fit, but they will not all act the same. If you get +2 a-arms, be sure to get a set of shock set up for +2 arms. If you try to use your stock shocks with +2 a-arms, they will fit, but they will be extremely soft due to the longer leverage arms.

Long Travel A-arms (most often +3 arms) use a longer shock. It is most often abreviated as +3 LT a-arms. They are a specialty, do I don't think you would order them by mistake.