PDA

View Full Version : 2001 400ex problem HELP

tahoe97
01-09-2002, 02:42 PM
I have a 2001 400ex.. i bought it new and it does not have that many hours on it..
it has been siting in a heated garage all winter and today i went to try to ride it... and the machine is getting no fire whatsoever... with the plug boot off it does the SAME thing it does when it is on...

Does anyone have a clue what this could be??
i was thinking the coil or the cdi box.. i have checked the fuse and it is not blown..

thanks in advance

cbrown400ex
01-09-2002, 02:51 PM
How did you test if it was getting fire? They are really cold natured and may sound like they are not getting fire when they just won't start. Check 2 things. Take the plug wire off and get a rubber handled screwdriver. Put the screwdriver into the plug wire and touch the engine block with the middle part of the screwdriver. Press the starter button. You should see an arch(spark). If so then take your plug out and insert it into the plug wire. Touch the bottom end of the plug to the engine block. Press the starter button. You should see a spark. If so then you need to up your pilot jet to either a 42 or larger. You may have already done this, but it sounded like you haven't. Hope this helps.

9300EX
01-09-2002, 06:03 PM
I had a xr250r that would not start if I let it set for more then two or three weeks. One time I put fresh fuel and a new plug in and it went off on the second kick. Good luck:D

01-10-2002, 09:14 AM
Check your Run switch next to the start button,,,easy fix and sometimes easy to over look,,been there done that,,I bet that's your problem. Make sure its in the middle setting and not to the side..;)

01-10-2002, 12:47 PM
If after checking your run switch it still doesn't start, my suggestion would be to try a new plug. I had a 2000 model that would foul a plug after it sat for a week or two. It fouled 4 or 5 plugs in the 8 months I owned it. My 1999 that I still have hasn't fouled the first plug since I bought it new in Sept 1998. It has 5300 trail miles on it.