PDA

View Full Version : 1999 YZ 400f

BoMbEr416
06-17-2003, 03:03 PM
ok this is a dirtbike question, but how were the YZ 400's. i seen one for sale and i am thinking of getting it, it is in good condition and everything, but where they good bikes? reliable?

CHAUNCY
06-17-2003, 06:07 PM
They are great bikes. Plenty of power. Nothing was really wrong with them as far as reliability:)

.:01_eXrIdEr:.
06-17-2003, 06:13 PM
my friend's dad has one and i have ridden it. i was almost positive that i shat my pants when i was riding it, that thing has so much power its almost scary, well for me at least. i think they are nice bikes:macho

86350x
06-18-2003, 10:46 PM
Yes they are great bikes, lots of power, and very fast. Faster then most people who haven't ridden one will believe. Is it a 99 or a 98? The only thing that will go wrong with the 98 is the water pump seal, if it's a 98 and you are going to buy it, replace it with a seal from a 99, and the impellar shaft with a 99 shaft. If you take care of it. If you race it, change the oil after every race. If you just trail ride every 200 to 300 miles. Changing the oil is kind of a big chore but you will get used to it. If you are small, and light it may be difficult for you to start. Take it for a test drive, and have him walk you through the starting drill. Believe it or not some people can't even get these bikes lit. These bikes will go forever if you take care of them.

I bought a wr 426, because it was more offroad ready. You just have to remove the restrictors, and you can time it like a yz, or leave it at the wr settings (more torque). Pluss the wr is about 5 mph faster because of the wider gear ratio's:devil:

JHF219
06-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by BoMbEr416
ok this is a dirtbike question, but how were the YZ 400's. i seen one for sale and i am thinking of getting it, it is in good condition and everything, but where they good bikes? reliable?

Psst read my sig :D The bike is insane !! i can be running down the road in 5th lean back crack the throttle and up comes the front !! jumping them? well once you get the hang of it you can fly !! they are extremely light in my opinion and fly very straight !! extremley powerful !! my worst experience wiht it is cornering ! it dont slide like a 2 stroke !! as soon as you crack the throttle the front end is in the air there not much wheel spin !! and last but not least !! anyone who tells you they are hard to start is full of SHI* i can start mine on the second kick every time no matter what the weather is or how long its been sitting the reason i say second kick is cause the first kick is to set the TDC !! second one she starts !!

06-19-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by JHForman250R
Psst read my sig :D The bike is insane !! i can be running down the road in 5th lean back crack the throttle and up comes the front !! jumping them? well once you get the hang of it you can fly !! they are extremely light in my opinion and fly very straight !! extremley powerful !! my worst experience wiht it is cornering ! it dont slide like a 2 stroke !! as soon as you crack the throttle the front end is in the air there not much wheel spin !! and last but not least !! anyone who tells you they are hard to start is full of SHI* i can start mine on the second kick every time no matter what the weather is or how long its been sitting the reason i say second kick is cause the first kick is to set the TDC !! second one she starts !!

A yz or Cr250 is faster right? i heard they are pretty much the same but the 2 strokes will take it down.:confused:

JHF219
06-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by bobby88
A yz or Cr250 is faster right? i heard they are pretty much the same but the 2 strokes will take it down.:confused:

its the fastest thing i have ridden minus a crotch rocket !!

06-19-2003, 08:27 AM
its the fastest thing i have ridden minus a crotch rocket !!

Hmm..:confused: One of the guys that works at are honda shop said that the crf450 has just a little more power then a cr250. but he said he would rather have his cr250 then a 450:confused: :huh

BoMbEr416
06-19-2003, 08:28 AM
hey bobby, come talk to me on MSN

86350x
06-19-2003, 10:14 AM
[i]any one who tells you they are hard to start is full of SHI* i can start mine on the second kick every time no matter what the weather is or how long its been sitting the reason i say second kick is cause the first kick is to set the TDC !! second one she starts !! [/B]

Am not full of poo. Every other 400/426 owner I know has to clean the bike out with 4 kicks during cold start ups Bring it slowly to tdc kick it down exactly 1/2 inch, then bring the kick starter back to the top and kick as hard as you can.

After you get it warm it will start after you bring it to tdc, and then the .500 down. So what I'm wondering is who is really full of poop:confused:

I missed that he said it was a 99, so you should be all set unless its really been abused. Here is mine, so lets see a pic of yours?

Not trying to pick a fight, but it sounded like you said I was full of it. I was trying to explain the bike does require a starting procedure, and requires a pretty firm kick.

JHF219
06-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
Am not full of poo. Every other 400/426 owner I know has to clean the bike out with 4 kicks during cold start ups Bring it slowly to tdc kick it down exactly 1/2 inch, then bring the kick starter back to the top and kick as hard as you can.

After you get it warm it will start after you bring it to tdc, and then the .500 down. So what I'm wondering is who is really full of poop:confused:

I missed that he said it was a 99, so you should be all set unless its really been abused. Here is mine, so lets see a pic of yours?

Not trying to pick a fight, but it sounded like you said I was full of it. I was trying to explain the bike does require a starting procedure, and requires a pretty firm kick.

alright i will try and get a pic up tonight if at all possible(i have to borrow my GFs digi cam but i will try to get one !! if not ill have it on friday night !! now let me run my procedure down for you maybe it will help you cause i can assure that i can get the second kick everytime and anyone who says its hard to start is a whiner !!

Step by step:
1 pull out the kick starter
2 pull in the compression release
3 kick the starter all the way down(dont have to kick hard)
4 let the starter all the way back up
5 release compression lever
6 give her a full kick and bam she starts !!

if its such a big deal for you to have a picture of mine i will be glad to get you one but you sound like your trying to call me a lier and say that i dont have one ?! would you like a pic of my car my truck my KX my blaster my shee and my R?? i can prove i have all of those also !?

JHF219
06-19-2003, 11:56 AM

one more thing i dont know what the hell your doing wrong but my GF is 120lbs and she starts it just fine(minus the fact i have to hold it up for her) she cant reach the ground !!

BoMbEr416
06-19-2003, 03:43 PM
well, i am gonna get the YZ 400, it is crazy fast. it has worked suspension, tag bars, GYTR pipe and WB silencer, hydraulic clutch, and graphics. i am getting it for $2800 and i sold my 416ex for $3800, so i am happy. this bike is INSANE, thats all i gotta say.

DEAL
06-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Didn't the early yzf400s have a weak kickstart gear?

JHF219
06-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Didn't the early yzf400s have a weak kickstart gear?

I believe when i bought mine the guy had mentioned putting some sort of update like that in ? they do have semi weak gears in my opinion the guy i bought mine off of said that he had to put 2 and 4 in it:ermm: but in the 4 months i have owned mine i have not had a problem with it the clutch is strong and the bike SCREAMS !! you will fall in love with it !!

also hope you like riding wheelies this bike is simple to do it on !!

Nausty
06-19-2003, 08:56 PM

They are a blast, One of my dads friends has one that is decked out with a knickel plated frame and a bunch of mods and he lets me ride it a lot. I ride it on a REALLY tight track but its still fun to ride on and I felt more comfortable on it than any other dirt bike i've ridden.

86350x
06-20-2003, 12:04 AM
one more thing i dont know what the hell your doing wrong but my GF is 120lbs and she starts it just fine(minus the fact i have to hold it up for her) she cant reach the ground !!

It is easy to start if your standing up on top of the bike while the kick stand is down. But if you have to restart it on a sandy or muddy trail it is difficult. I'm 5'10 200lbs and my wr is taller then your yz is. Pluss if does kick a bit harder too. What I was trying to get at is that he needs to go over and try it out. Some people just think it's too much trouble to go through. Thats why you have to take a starting test at the dealer. Too many people brought there 400's and 426's back because they couldn't start them. Saying anyone who says there hard to start is full of sh#t is not an accurate statement. I can start my banshee and cr 125 with my hand. But the big 426 takes a good boot. I'm having doubts about your gf starting it. But I"m not gonna get in to a full bore argument over this. I'm really holding my breath on this one! You do not need to justify anything to me, just seemed like you were calling me out on that one.

My starting drill is this

Cold

1.Turn on gas and choke
2.Pull in decompression lever
3.4 slow kicks
4.Bring it up to tdc
5.Kick down 1 half inch
6.Bring kick starter all they way back up to the top.
7.And kick HARD

Hot starts like you said

Bring it up to tdc
steps 5 through 7

You can also make starting easier by pulling the light blue wire located here. It will allow more spark and will lesson the chance of fouling a plugg (and you probrably know the work involved in changing a plugg on these machines). There are no negative side effects. If anyone wants links to good tech articles on the 400/426/450 just ask. The kick starting gears were mainly a problem on the 98's

JHF219
06-20-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
It is easy to start if your standing up on top of the bike while the kick stand is down. But if you have to restart it on a sandy or muddy trail it is difficult. I'm 5'10 200lbs and my wr is taller then your yz is. Pluss if does kick a bit harder too. What I was trying to get at is that he needs to go over and try it out. Some people just think it's too much trouble to go through. Thats why you have to take a starting test at the dealer. Too many people brought there 400's and 426's back because they couldn't start them. Saying anyone who says there hard to start is full of sh#t is not an accurate statement. I can start my banshee and cr 125 with my hand. But the big 426 takes a good boot. I'm having doubts about your gf starting it. But I"m not gonna get in to a full bore argument over this. I'm really holding my breath on this one! You do not need to justify anything to me, just seemed like you were calling me out on that one.

My starting drill is this

Cold

1.Turn on gas and choke
2.Pull in decompression lever
3.4 slow kicks
4.Bring it up to tdc
5.Kick down 1 half inch
6.Bring kick starter all they way back up to the top.
7.And kick HARD

Hot starts like you said

Bring it up to tdc
steps 5 through 7

You can also make starting easier by pulling the light blue wire located here. It will allow more spark and will lesson the chance of fouling a plugg (and you probrably know the work involved in changing a plugg on these machines). There are no negative side effects. If anyone wants links to good tech articles on the 400/426/450 just ask. The kick starting gears were mainly a problem on the 98's

ok i dont want to get into a argument either !! there is no point in arquing over this !! ill agree that until you get used to the starting procedure it is a PAIN!! but once i got the hang i can do it easily ! i have one more advantage over you and that is that im 6'2 so it makes it a little easier for me !! sorry if i said that everyone is full of chit about the procedure but those people are the ones that made me stay away from them for so long !! i will get a picture and if this thread is gone ill just start a new one or something !! but seriously my GF can start it(it took quite a few attempts to teach her but she got it) i have to hold the bike up for her cause she has dropped it plenty of times trying on her own let alone trying to start it without holding the bike up its rather a funny site !!

Flyin#3-1/2
06-20-2003, 02:59 PM
yea...i hate wheelieing on dirtbikes, feels like you're going to fall backwards or something....and today i was riding my friend's YZ through some sand and gravel and this thing had a lot of power for an 80, he had it geared really high so it had no bottom end, so i had to rev it up really high and as i was riding i popped a wheelie in second gear slid sideways with my front end in the air then the front slammed into the ground and it landed on me and now look at my arm (my avator) it didn't hurt at all suprisingly. but when i got home my parents freaked and are trying to get me to go in for stitches because it is actually pretty deep and looks 100 times worse in person:(

BoMbEr416
06-23-2003, 09:32 AM
are the bikes pretty heavy? will this bike be able to everything a 250 bike will? like jump...

JHF219
06-24-2003, 04:43 AM
are the bikes pretty heavy? will this bike be able to everything a 250 bike will? like jump...

very easy in my opinion and yeah they can do everything the 250 can !! takes awhile to get used too but once you do its easy !!

BoMbEr416
06-24-2003, 04:57 AM
thanx guys for all your help, i'm gonna go pick it up today. hopefully i dont kill my self. later

BoMbEr416
07-10-2003, 03:57 PM
well, i actually ended up with a 2001 CR 250 today. this bike is awsome, i love it. i only rode it for like 15 minutes and loved every minute of it. i already crashed too, my shoulder is all bruised and scraped. o well this bike flat out rips!!