PDA

View Full Version : Help my R died!

bsf150
06-17-2003, 01:49 PM
I was riding my R the other night and it died, like it ran out of gas or something. I checked my reeds and they seem O.K. going to replace anyways since it's out. Compression is good. I just checked to see if I had spark and the plug was pretty black when I took it out. I tried two plugs and neither had spark. So does that mean my CDI took a crap? Any help would be great as I just traded my YZ 250 for a 98 Banshee for my girlfriend and I don't want to ride that all of the time. My R can kill it off the line, but the Banshee is pretty built so I can't beat it YET.
Thanks for the help.

Scott-300ex
06-17-2003, 01:54 PM
maybe it did run out of gas:ermm:

lol, put it on reserve and try it, not joking

maybe you hit the kill switch, you said you had spark so check for fuel, maybe something got past your filter and cloged up the jets

edit: fuel filter that is

bsf150
06-17-2003, 02:22 PM
No it didn't have any spark. It didn't run out of gas either. The kill switch is on too.

pnut420
06-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Its your CDI or your spark plug wires burnt up. Also chaeck for corrosion at the battery and any other areas...

CBW
06-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Its your CDI or your spark plug wires burnt up. Also chaeck for corrosion at the battery and any other areas...

:eek2: 250R's dont have a battery:o

It could be a lot of things: stator, cdi, condenser, the coil.........i have spares if you lived closer we could throw some on there and check it that way......sorry but a new cdi is about $115...but it could be as simple as a corroded coil wire and a bad connection to the plug cap.

pnut420
06-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by CBW
:eek2: 250R's dont have a battery:o

It could be a lot of things: stator, cdi, condenser, the coil.........i have spares if you lived closer we could throw some on there and check it that way......sorry but a new cdi is about $115...but it could be as simple as a corroded coil wire and a bad connection to the plug cap.

See what happend when I hit the bong, I start thinking two strokes have batteries, :ermm: .

CBW
06-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
See what happend when I hit the bong, I start thinking two strokes have batteries, :ermm: .

zalright........we all been there.:D :p

bsf150
06-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks, If my stator was bad my headlight wouldn't work would it? Because my headlight still worked fine. I have another stator that I can throw on it and try. All I know is it's driving me nuts not having my quad.
Thanks

wilkin250r
06-18-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by bsf150
Thanks, If my stator was bad my headlight wouldn't work would it? Because my headlight still worked fine. I have another stator that I can throw on it and try. All I know is it's driving me nuts not having my quad.
Thanks

Your ignition trigger and your lighting coil are different things. True, they are both on your stator, but they are not the same. One could fail without the other. I'm not saying that is definitely your problem, but don't rule it out just because your lights still work.

300exazzkikr
06-18-2003, 06:29 AM
it could be a number of things, It sounds like it got grounded. I would check all the wires and connections first. Make sure your kill switch is working. Mine went bad on me. Then i would move to bigger and more expensive things. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid.;)