PDA

View Full Version : 300ex question ... Oil escape line ?

300exwoodsracer
06-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Hey...
Been noticing a little oil seeping over the top of the head on my 300ex... took off the plastic and tank so i could see what was going on... and out of the line that comes out of teh head, oil is seeping out around the base... Is there some kind of seal, or wut could be going on? I'm gonna include some pics, and u will notice in the first one i have circled where it looks like a chip of metal is gone.. normal? Is there a seal under this hose? I'm really not sure wut the hose is, but my guess is a oil vent hose... sorry, not all that knowledgabe... Any help?? Thanks

300exwoodsracer
06-17-2003, 08:56 AM
pic from right side of quad....

jbirklid
06-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Yup it's a vent hose. Not a big deal just messy. I don't think there's a seal on that tube. I'd just wire brush the pucky out of it, clean it real good with some solvent and put a nice bead of JB-weld arount it. It's not a high pressure area so it should hold just fine.

Jason...

"BLAHH"300!!
06-17-2003, 10:30 AM
..I was gana say thesame thing...
but i got a question.
..ahigh, this hose "T's, one end hangs oer the front of the motor,
and the other end goes down by the swingarm.

when my rings were bad, Oil would come out of this hose
at high RPM's...I didn't mind it coming out at the swingarm, b/c it would go on the ground, and a little would get on my chain..(quick lube haha) BUT, when it came out te front oil would be everywhere..my leg, my motor, frame...now my motor is stained pretty good...

..question...
can i plug this ose? leave the hose at the swingarm open, and plug the end infront of the motor...?..would this hurt aything

300exwoodsracer
06-17-2003, 10:57 AM
The hose on mine does not "T" it simply goes through a small filter or something, then into the intake?

"BLAHH"300!!
06-17-2003, 11:11 AM
.....?? :confused2
say what?
...what kinda filer,and where does it inter the intake?
why would the vent hose go into the intake?

300exwoodsracer
06-17-2003, 11:47 AM
In this pic u can see the line route back to the intake... dunno why or how... but im assuming this hose is just for oil vent... therefore it should only be fumes, which is why it should be safe to return to intake?? somebody clear all this up for me

jbirklid
06-17-2003, 12:56 PM
It's called Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Just like the lines on cars that go from the valve cover to the air cleaner. The intake actually helps suck any build up of fumes out of the motor. The little plastic jobber is just to collect any fluid and you can feel free to clean that bad boy if it gets to gunked up. Of course if you have a whole bunch of oil comming out of that line you got bigger problems to look at.

Jason...

300exwoodsracer
06-17-2003, 02:07 PM
well u can see oil is seeping out onto my motor... so r u saying i might have problems? ... the main thing is it seems to leak around the base of that tube, and nothing acutally goes through it, so i gues i'll just put some sealant around it and go from there