PDA

View Full Version : V-force setup for TT

06-17-2003, 07:14 AM
Don't really know what to think of it yet..but I'm sure it huals the mail....:confused2

Pappy
06-17-2003, 07:18 AM
i bet it hauls arse:eek:

spincr4hire
06-17-2003, 07:36 AM
sweet!:devil:

anywhereEx
06-17-2003, 07:37 AM
I wonder how that thing handles around the track?

Chanman420q
06-17-2003, 08:34 AM
weird :ermm:

exriderdude
06-17-2003, 08:41 AM
uh yea, thats......uh......different:confused2

Ex_Rider43
06-17-2003, 08:51 AM
yeah its diferent but I would not cut the fenders like this on a vforce.... just weird with the small tires

Pappy
06-17-2003, 08:52 AM
id love to let that 700cc monster loose on a tt track:bandit:

400exTN
06-17-2003, 09:53 AM
The fenders are cut for more air flow. That ain't no 700. It's a 7??. The thing sounds like a big block, I swear.

It looks pretty sweet to me if you think about what we started with a big green couch!

Anyone notice the tach by the handlebars or the ram air under the front left plastic!

anywhereEx
06-17-2003, 12:15 PM
I did notice the ram air deal you are talking about. I just left it out because I was in a hurry when I posted.

I wonder how much weight was shaved off of it?

400exTN
06-17-2003, 12:29 PM
We probably dropped about 70 to 80lbs.

MOFO
06-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
id love to let that 700cc monster loose on a tt track:bandit:

thats what I'm thinkin...

JHF219
06-17-2003, 01:45 PM
i think its kinda ugly isnt that jackie medows? or something liek that ?

06-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exTN
We probably dropped about 70 to 80lbs.

You work with Jackie and his dad??

Rip_Tear
06-17-2003, 02:52 PM
I wish they made it manual, even semi manual would be fine, I just want it to put tracks on for the winter... But I don't want an auto quad, I said I never would...

But that does look like it would haul, I think is Puralator though...

KevinM
06-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 400exTN
The thing sounds like a big block, I swear.

Nothing sweeter than the sound of a 700 with duals.

RIDER11X
06-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Wonder how it would be to race TT on a machine that gearing can't be changed on?

Also, they are said to top out at like 70MPH stock w/ 22" tires in back, with those 18 or 20" tires the top speed will be lower. :ermm: 7?? don't sound that good now huh?:D Am I wrong on this?:confused2

MxDale71
06-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Am I wrong on this?:confused2

Yes, yes you are.

Hehe, J/P. I don't know anything about the machine but I imagine if you can put that much money into it, you can get into the motor and work on those speed issues. I also dont think they run 18's on a TT track. I always thought it was usually 20's or 22's.

batgeek
06-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Also, they are said to top out at like 70MPH stock w/ 22" tires in back, with those 18 or 20" tires the top speed will be lower. 7?? don't sound that good now huh? Am I wrong on this?

re-gearing...it's a new concept. ever try it?

toby400ex
06-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
re-gearing...it's a new concept. ever try it?
Well the prob with regearing and the vforce is that the vforce doesnt have sprockets, unless ur talking abouyt regearing in the transmission. Also i noticed the tachometer, why do you need one on an atoumatic:huh

RIDER11X
06-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Well the prob with regearing and the vforce is that the vforce doesnt have sprockets

Thank you for clearing that up for him! :rolleyes: :D :D

batgeek
06-17-2003, 07:09 PM
oh yeah...there is no way to change the way an auto tranny works...DOH!

/sarcasm off

RIDER11X
06-17-2003, 08:21 PM

/sarcasm off :rolleyes: :ermm:

batgeek
06-17-2003, 09:18 PM
not mechanically inclined? i understand...it's ok.

RIDER11X
06-18-2003, 03:07 AM

/sarcasm off

Care to explain how someone should go about making a gearing change on a CVT drive tranny with shaft drive so that it is easily changable to varying track conditions? Need some details on how to do this for a practical price. I'm glad someone has a solution to this as that could make or break CVT trannies for racing purposes.:tired:

UglyMotha™
06-18-2003, 03:48 AM
what the hell is the tach for looks :huh like you seriously need a tach on an automatic that's like the corny ricers that put a 5" monster tach on top of there dash on a 4 door automatic :confused2 just makes no sense i guess it looks cool :ermm:

JustRace
06-18-2003, 06:34 AM
I believe the tach has something to do when dialing in the clutch on the quad. By using different weights and springs they can change the points in the automatic, so buy having a tach they can see where the auto is making the changes and then make the changes they need in the clutch so that it is making peak power. Does that make sence? I read that some place when i was reading about building a polaris drag quad.

UglyMotha™
06-18-2003, 06:45 AM
ya that would make sense but isn't the v-force a cv clutch, so it wouldn't have any shift points

400exTN
06-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by JustRace
I believe the tach has something to do when dialing in the clutch on the quad. By using different weights and springs they can change the points in the automatic, so buy having a tach they can see where the auto is making the changes and then make the changes they need in the clutch so that it is making peak power. Does that make sence? I read that some place when i was reading about building a polaris drag quad.

Winner, winner chicken dinner! Finally, someone that knows something.

We normally race 18 or 20 just depends but we also have tires up to i believe 24. The tach is for adjusting the clutch like JustRace stated above. We aren't always looking for certain shift points but rather at what rpm it quits pulling and other adjustments through out the powerband. Also so we aren't rev'n the thing to the moon. Different tracks require different setups just have to see what works best. Surprisingly, this will run with all the big bore two strokes.

If you make it to any of the TT events you defintely need stop by the race trailer to check this out and say hello.

I'm not just saying this cause I have spent many a late nights working on it but it's pretty cool to take a first year quad mod it to the max and see what she'll do.

Look for in depth articles in the months to come in varioius magazines as well as websites.

UglyMotha™
06-18-2003, 07:30 AM
back to my question i didn't think there was any shift points on a cv tranny doesn't it just wind up in go it's not like a autotranny in a car where you can actually see and feel it shift right little puzzled here:confused: fill me in

just like a sled they just wind and go your not goin to see rpms drop and raise on those

batgeek
06-18-2003, 11:11 AM
well i hope Rider11X is happy now...

i've had to mess with Polaris CVTs before...but he would never know cuz he thinks he's too 133t to work on a PoPo.

Rip_Tear
06-18-2003, 11:37 AM
UglyMotha™, On a seld the RPM's do drop, on my MXZ it his about 7500 RPM's then drops to 5. I can't explain exactly how it works, but you can re-gear an auto tranny on a sled and ATV, if you really want to know ask a Sled mechanic.

Sorry I can't help that much.

RIDER11X
06-18-2003, 11:38 AM
well i hope Rider11X is happy now...

i've had to mess with Polaris CVTs before...but he would never know cuz he thinks he's too 133t to work on a PoPo.
Good answer!:rolleyes: :D :D :D

batgeek
06-18-2003, 11:51 AM
just because you've never done it, or never seen it done, doesnt mean it cant be done.

small minds produce small thoughts :D

do you work on your own quad, or do you have a mechanic?

here's a little breakdown of how a CVT works:

The MOVABLE DRIVE PULLEY face (MDP) is on the end of the crankshaft and turns the belt. It faces the FIXED DRIVE PULLEY face with the belt sandwiched between the two. The MDP slides in and out along a HUB, which is a steel cylinder inserted through the MDP's center (BUSHING, the center hole in the MDP). The HUB in turn is slid over the crankshaft end. If you remove the MDP, and place it face down in your palm, you will see where the roller weights go inside the back of it. The roller weights are sandwiched between the back of the MDP and the RAMP PLATE, which covers them. The RAMP PLATE has plastic GLIDE CLIPS inserted into it's edge to guide it's motion in and out of the back of the MDP along three "tracks". In operation, as the MDP spins faster, the roller weights press harder against the RAMP PLATE and MDP as the increasing centrifugal force pushes them outwards towards the circumference. This forces the MDP outward, pressing into the belt, and causes the belt to ride on a larger diameter between the pulley faces. This gears the CVT up, much as the front gear on a 10-speed bike works. Gearing down (downshifting), the rpms drop, the centrif. force on the weights drop, the pressure the weights have against the MDP and RAMP PLATE drops, the MDP is allowed to slide back out again as the belt (spring-loaded by the rear, or DRIVEN PULLEY) forces the pulley faces apart, and the belt rides around a smaller diameter within the pulley faces. Low gear.

Now for the DRIVEN PULLEY, which is turned by the belt at the rear of the CVT. This is behind the clutch. The DRIVEN PULLEY has a movable face also, of different design and I've seen it called a TORQUE DRIVER (TD). The TD is initially pressed into the FIXED DRIVEN PULLEY face, so the belt sandwiched between them is riding around a larger diameter. This is like the sprocket on a 10-speed: rear dia. large = low gear. The TD is pressed into the fixed face by a large SPRING. If you remove the TD from the rest of the pulley, you will see that it's shaft has three or six SLOTS in it, which ride on GUIDE PINS sticking out of the side of the fixed pulley shaft. These SLOTS are bored into the TD shaft at an angle like a corkscrew, so that as the TD moves outward, away from the fixed face, to allow upshfiting, the guide pins in the slots force the TD to rotate against the pull of the belt. This is important later on. So... when the engine revs up and the drive pulley begins to squeeze the belt into a larger diameter up front, the belt is pulled deeper into the driven pulley in the rear, fighting the spring and the TD's reverse rotation as it twists (about 1/8th a turn) against the GUIDE PINS it it's SLOTS. I hope that made sense. So the belt is around a smaller dia. in the rear at high gear. In downshifting, the revs drop, the drive pulley releases the belt somewhat, the belt rides deeper in the drive pulley, and so the SPRING is now able overcome the action of the roller weights in the MDP, pushing the TD back in, squeezing the belt back out to larger dia.

The stiffness of the spring and the size of the roller weights balance the motion of the TD in the rear and MDP up front so that shifting occurs in the power band of the engine (8400rpm for me). You can buy weights and springs of different sizes for automatics. If the weights are too heavy and/or spring too light then the CVT will upshift too soon (at lower rpms) since the weights exert more force, or the spring gives too easily. This means you loose torque at the wheel.. like trying to start off on a 10 speed in 10th gear. If the weights are too light and/or spring too stiff, then the engine will rev past it's power band before the CVT shifts up, since the weights exert less force and the spring keeps the TD pushed in for too long.

yeah, theres no possible way to change that....its mechanically IMPOSSIBLE.

RIDER11X
06-18-2003, 12:07 PM
just because you've never done it, or never seen it done, doesnt mean it cant be done.

small minds produce small thoughts :D

do you work on your own quad, or do you have a mechanic?

I got three mechanics!:eek: Me, Myself, and I. :devil: How bout you? Any grease under your nails?:p :D It's all good if you take yours to the shop, I don't look at you any differently.:uhoh: J/k Just wanted to see what kind of answer you would throw out there on that gearing question. My way of finding out who really is in the know.:eek: ;) :D J/P

batgeek
06-18-2003, 12:10 PM
i'd draw pictures of that explaination, but i'm a really lousy artist.

yes, i work on my own quad...but getting used to 4stk engines instead of 2stk is weird(i have been a KX125 rider forever).

KevinM
06-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Most people have no clue how much of an advantage a tuned CVT can be. Imagine always being in the right gear pulling the exact RPM's where the motor makes the most power.

batgeek
06-18-2003, 12:34 PM
yeah, but when ya got it down...it's sweet as hell.

i see you ride a KFX700 :)

that explaination of a CVT is a cut and paste, but i read it over to make sure it explained it the way i understand how they work...i was just too lazy to try and do the explaination myself.

RIDER11X
06-18-2003, 12:40 PM
The V force is an awsome machine! Look at the GNCC results!:eek2:

monkeyboy
06-18-2003, 01:51 PM
WTF kinnna fo weeeela iz dat:huh :confused:

Taco
06-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
WTF kinnna fo weeeela iz dat:huh :confused:
Its the new teccotty:D

Rip_Tear
06-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Good explaination Batgeek, I wasn't going to explain it. I work on all my stuff but the MXZ, because of all the electronics on it... Its scary! Besides I can't afford to play with it (and my dad said he would rather the mechanic deal with it) because it is such a high proformance machine I could do a number on it if I screw something up.

RIDER11X
06-18-2003, 03:46 PM
yeah, but when ya got it down...it's sweet as hell.

i see you ride a KFX700 :)

that explaination of a CVT is a cut and paste, but i read it over to make sure it explained it the way i understand how they work...i was just too lazy to try and do the explaination myself.

Sorry to make you search the internet for CVT info to cut and paste:rolleyes: , but it is good info about CVT's I must admit.:)

Now your next report is to be about...............................Internal combustion engines and their affect on industry. :blah: :blah: ;) :D No flame intended-j/k:cool:

batgeek
06-18-2003, 03:59 PM
internal combustion engines??? thats so 21st century...

i'll give ya the workings of the flux capacitor i'm making.

BACK........to the future! :D

RIDER11X
06-18-2003, 04:04 PM
internal combustion engines??? thats so 21st century...

i'll give ya the workings of the flux capacitor i'm making.

BACK........to the future! :D

Good! Let me know when you get it working. I got some dumb crashes I'd like to erase!;) :D

bradley300
06-19-2003, 06:09 PM
so basicly, the auto tranny is constantly moving the belt up or down the pulley(shifting) to keep the motor in the meat of the powerband?

Stevie-D
06-20-2003, 01:54 PM
so basicly, the auto tranny is constantly moving the belt up or down the pulley(shifting) to keep the motor in the meat of the powerband?

yupper...just find someone with a polaris quad ( or v-force, etc..) and take the belt cover off of it...when the engine revs, the belt moves up the front pulley, tightening it:blah:

WalshKFX
06-22-2003, 06:20 AM
thats one sick quad