PDA

View Full Version : Krylon Fusion plastic paint

spincr4hire
06-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Krylon Fusion paint works awesome for plastic that is scratched or faded really bad. I have been working on my little cousin's 90cc atv. I used about 5 coats on the fenders, it looks so much better. It seems to flex very well, too. Very good product for $3.89 a can.

hollywood43
06-17-2003, 01:55 AM
I saw that stuff at the hardware store. I was wondering how well it would work on fenders. Thanks for the info!

honda270ex
06-18-2003, 02:20 PM
I was think of painting my 250ex black. do this stuff have a shiny look? and is it worth it. what happens if u screw up. and where could i get some

spincr4hire
06-19-2003, 01:20 AM
I found out, the more coats you give it, the more shine it has. If you screwed it up, I guess you'd be busy with some sanding...but I don't see how you could. You may want to sand your plastic first with some wet sand paper. The plastic I painted was very scratched, so the paint adhered very easily.

I found it at Wal-Mart.

hollywood43
06-19-2003, 02:11 AM
Ace hardware carries it too.

F-16Guy
06-19-2003, 06:38 AM
Do they have it in a clear coat?

hollywood43
06-19-2003, 06:43 AM
That's a good question. I didn't notice the plastic paint in clear. Krylon does carry a regular clear but I doubt that it has enough flex it in for plastic applications.

spincr4hire
06-19-2003, 07:39 AM
I didn't see it in clear coat, but it doesn't mean they don't make it.

speedy400
06-19-2003, 09:44 AM
the only problem I've seen is if you spill any gas on it, it will soften and rub away with a touch.sorry for the bad news-darren:ermm:

hollywood43
06-19-2003, 09:48 AM
That's a really good point. Rattle can paint never dries as hard as an automotive paint. Spincr4hire, try spilling some gas on your fender and let us know what happens.;)

Str8Wicked
06-19-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
I found out, the more coats you give it, the more shine it has. If you screwed it up, I guess you'd be busy with some sanding...but I don't see how you could. You may want to sand your plastic first with some wet sand paper. The plastic I painted was very scratched, so the paint adhered very easily.

I found it at Wal-Mart.

OK this statement applies to all kinds of paint. When you paint you should always scuff very lightly the surface so the paint actually grabs into the plastic or which ever surface you are working on. Also the more coats usually will always give you more shine and if you mess up it isn't hard to fix.... Just get a very thin sand paper like a 220 or higher with a tiny bit of water if any and smooth out the finish. Word of advise, smooth it out after it drys and the paint has hardened or else the paint will just seem to make a mess outta your sand paper and you won't be accomplishing anything....

My 2 cents

spincr4hire
06-20-2003, 03:06 AM
I did spill some gas on it last night, no problems....but when I was kickstarting the quad, my heel caught the rear fender, the result wasn't pretty. Doesn't hold up as well as I'd hoped.:(

hollywood43
06-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Ouch, man that sucks. What if you pick up some of that carbon fiber decal and put it over where your heel hits? Just an idea. I put that where my boots were rubbing on the frame and it seems to hold up.

Giz400ex
06-21-2003, 05:28 AM
A friend of mine recently painted his 250r plastic (white) and we painted it with the Krylon semi-gloss first and then we sprayed the it with the Krylon clear-coat (satin finish) to give it a extra shine. I could NOT believe the difference:eek2: I wish I had before and after pics to show ya but it seems to hold up very well. I was very surprised about the whole thing. Everything cost about $10.00 and was well worth it!!!

honda270ex
06-23-2003, 04:23 AM
well i went to wal mart aand got 3 cans of gloss black, and 2 cans of clear coat. should that be enoguh. I mean how many coats do i have to put on. i was thinking 3 coats of black and then 2 coats of clear coat.. ill get pics when im done.

fuddrucker
06-23-2003, 05:15 AM
Sounds good. Let us know how it looks after a good ride and a wash. Just curious how it will look after getting hit with dirt, sand, and rocks from a ride.

suck my pipe
06-23-2003, 07:25 PM
I dont think painting your fenders with any kind of paint is a good idea. I would just love to see one of yah guys quads after you flip or rool it. One little rool over and you would proubly have to sand it all off and redo it :rolleyes: . Dosent sound like to bright of an idea to me, and also were your legs run on the side of the plastic, its proubly gonna rub off exspecially if you wear sumthin ruff like jeans. :o just my opinion. I mean i'm shure it looks great just not for long it's just to good to be true :blah:

racinred330ex
06-25-2003, 08:18 AM
me and my dad who does body paiting ect were gonna pait my 300 candy apple red and migh do the frame black were gonna use several coats of clear coat the atuomotive type he said it will hold up very well u just have to add flex to the paint oh yea pait on plastic works fine look at all the plastic on cars these days

XANDADA
06-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by fuddrucker
Sounds good. Let us know how it looks after a good ride and a wash. Just curious how it will look after getting hit with dirt, sand, and rocks from a ride.

ditto. Got pics yet? I wouldn't mind doin my gas tank if the paint sticks to the plastic well enough.

honda270ex
06-26-2003, 10:07 AM
i decided not to but i did my gas tank cover and it turned out good

suck my pipe
06-27-2003, 11:37 AM
yah, but plastic on cars dosent get flexed very much, and plus no one is sliding around on top of it with jeans and oots ect ect. :huh

racinred330ex
06-27-2003, 11:45 AM
true but even after an acident there is still a pretty good amount of paint on there

hessianmx111
06-27-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
ditto. Got pics yet? I wouldn't mind doin my gas tank if the paint sticks to the plastic well enough.
dont do it, it wont last long because of the gas fumes. it will bubble and crap very quickly

Giz400ex
06-28-2003, 01:40 AM
well, my friend did his about almost a month ago and still holding up!! Plastics still look brand new:cool:

kxrider
06-28-2003, 03:07 PM
all paint looks good at first, go flip that thing and tell me how it looks or get some old plastic and paint it and then fold it or somehthin??

06-28-2003, 03:45 PM
nothin beats a good ole fashion wax job with a car buffer...the right side is before...and the left side is after..and no this is not paint..i just sanded plastic down..used a course car was to get the scrathes out..then more of a finishing wa..and then the glaze....worked better than anything ive ever tried

mudderchic
07-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by suck my pipe
I dont think painting your fenders with any kind of paint is a good idea. I would just love to see one of yah guys quads after you flip or rool it. One little rool over and you would proubly have to sand it all off and redo it :rolleyes: . Dosent sound like to bright of an idea to me, and also were your legs run on the side of the plastic, its proubly gonna rub off exspecially if you wear sumthin ruff like jeans. :o just my opinion. I mean i'm shure it looks great just not for long it's just to good to be true :blah:

Rolling your quad always makes it look sh*tty, even if it's not painted.

speedy400
07-03-2003, 01:57 PM
I just painted on numbers today(look at pic 2 in my thred in this section"one or two)I dont know,I used that krylon fusion paint and put on 6 layers on each number,didnt take out any scratches and about 2 hours from when I painted it on I scratched it a little and some came off, I dont know if I let it dry wrong..?? I left it in the sun and it was like 86degrees so maybe it dried too much between coats..??

nacs400ex
07-03-2003, 02:03 PM
honda270ex, How come you are getting maggot to cut your fenders and put on a hood. Its a pretty easy job, I dont see why you cant do it yourself ??

honda270ex
07-03-2003, 04:26 PM
cus i dont wanna *** up and i know i would and i dont got the tools

quadrcr87
07-03-2003, 04:53 PM
honda270ex spray paint is not custom like you said in your sig. but i painted the lights on my banshee with krylon fusion ill post a pic its getting fullbores too

Martin Blair
07-03-2003, 07:08 PM
get a spry gun and use some car paint, i was thinking aobut line xin my fenders black, i think tht texture would be tight, it would trap dirt but it would be cool