PDA

View Full Version : K&N Filter Outerwear and Airbox Outerwear?

08-09-2001, 02:38 AM
I have both the Outerwear for the K&N Filter and the Outerwear that covers the airbox. Right now I have the lid on the airbox with the outerwear on the filter. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put the outerwear on the airbox, while still having the Outerwear on the filter itself. Would this be overkill on the Outerwears? Also, is it okay to run the airbox with the outerwear instead of the cover in the sand dunes?
Thanks

SNIPA
08-09-2001, 06:50 AM
I was wondering the exact same thing. I think the air box outerwear should be less restrictive than stock. Seems like it would be great protection running both outerwears. Almsost certain it would flow better than stock. Like to hear some other peeps take on this.
'Thanks'

4punksdad
08-09-2001, 06:47 PM
outerwear claims the filter skin reduces airflow by "only" 10%............LOL....if I am trying to get more airflow, why would I reduce it by 10% by adding the filter skin............just go with the airbox cover from outerwear & keep your filter oiled up.

dbsbl1
08-09-2001, 09:03 PM
Where do you pick up one of these airbox covers by outerwear? How much do they run?

08-10-2001, 10:48 AM
Thanks 3punksdad. Will it be ok to run it like that in the sand dunes?

skull
08-11-2001, 11:41 PM
I run an outerwears air box lid in the dunes with the stock foamy.
I wouldnt trust the k&n in the dunes, if you need a filter for your filter somethings not right.
for the dunes I would put a foam outerwear on it. I think I seen them in the JL catalog. I think uni, or pro design makes 'em.

carlj75
08-12-2001, 09:57 AM
What about running a K&N filter with outerwears and no airbox lid? I have the stage 2 jet kit.

08-12-2001, 02:10 PM
Would it be a bad idea to run it with just the filter and outerwear and no box lid in the sand? I am just hesitant 'cause I don't want to mess anything up. I don't have a jet kit, so I don't know if that would mess anything up.

skull
08-13-2001, 02:17 AM
If I had a k&n and was planning on riding in the dunes I would use an outerwear on the filter and something on the air box. pantyhose, vented lid, whatever. I think no air box lid is a bad idea for the dunes.

carlj75
08-13-2001, 09:28 AM
What about riding with no lid on the track and on trails???:huh

skull
08-16-2001, 05:45 AM
any kind of dusty conditions you want to use extra precaution. if its not too dusty, go for it.
alls I know is, if I was running a k&n, I would for sure have an outerwear on it. and if its dusty out, on goes some sort of air box lid.

SNIPA
08-20-2001, 11:27 AM
OK The K&N filter alone will not protect you from all of the elements. This is why you run outerwear. If you were running this in a Stock air box this seems to be fine. The the air box cover would have to be less restrictive the a closed box.....the cover claims to be 10% restrictive but a closed box would be a lot more than that. This seems like a good idea but i haven't tried.

What about a uni filter wich i think will protect better and a outerwear air box cover? Maybe this would be best.

I want maximum protection from all elements with the best airflow possible. What do you guys think?

skull
08-23-2001, 07:08 AM
personally I think for the dunes or any dusty conditions, foam is the way to go.

nakomis0
08-23-2001, 08:25 AM
Foam filters are great for dust, because they can trap finer particals. Especially if you ride dusty trails all the time.

As far as sand goes... its gotta be one of the worst things for your engine, one grain of sand can make a nice scar in a cylinder.
One good thing about sand is its a large partical, and K&N is great for protecting against that. If you look at any desert baja from ATV to trucks they use K&N because allows good airflow and protects well against the sands larger particals.

In my opinion all an outerware is good for is keeping your filter cleaner, its not filtering out anything your filter wouldn't get anyways. But it means your filter will stay alot cleaner, and thats a very good thing.

My opinion on running without an airbox lid? (expect to clean your filter more) I don't think theres any other way to run a 400ex. Unless your riding in wet, muddy conditions or don't have an outerware. I rode my bike through all conditions with a K&N, for a year and a half, and I road alot. When I opened up my engine it still looked brand new.

Of course if your paronoid use foam filters, prefilters, airbox filters, and ride with a huge filter all the way around your bike, and only ride indoors, then you should be fairly safe.:blah
'Gotta pay to play';)