PDA

View Full Version : How "easy" on new ex?

the-ex-files
06-16-2003, 01:51 PM
How fast should you go when you are breaking in a new 400ex? My buddy said to never exceed 1/2 throttle on the first tank,and shift through the gears often. Is that accurate? Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks!

AAAirbooorn
06-16-2003, 02:24 PM
I broke mine in the way they tell you at Mototune USA. Check out the web site. Quadfather turned me on to it. I beat on it pretty good to seal the rings. they'll tell you exactly what to do and how. PM Quadfather and ask him what he thinks. The name of the artical is called Break-in Secrets.

the-ex-files
06-16-2003, 02:54 PM
That's intersting! I have never been told to beat on something new. I'm still kinda "iffy" about beatin' her so soon. Have a lot of people done this?

300exazzkikr
06-16-2003, 03:11 PM
I've heard of people beating on it for break-in whether or not it's true i don't really know. It's sounds bad but you never know it could be true. someone should go out and buy two brand new machines and try it out.:blah:

timewass
06-16-2003, 03:11 PM
I do all my own engine work and I go with the theory "Break it in the way you're going to ride it" I've never had problems.

Quadfather
06-16-2003, 03:54 PM
www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

TRX_Thumper
06-16-2003, 04:10 PM
i broke mine in according to mototune...one of my weekend riding buddies broke his in according to the manual...then after break in he bought a fmf slip on, kn and rejetted and mine still waxes him in drags an overal power

PHIL_B54
06-16-2003, 04:35 PM
that mototune stuff is very good reading, ive been receiving the newsleter for 4-5 months now

Glamis400ex
06-16-2003, 04:55 PM
gettin on the throttle and "beating" on it are 2 different things.

I love that dude's comment on slow breakin in....he says, Ive seen an engine break in drawn out for so long, it needed to be rebuilt when it was broke in.

Glamis

L.Vegas400
06-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by timewass
"Break it in the way you're going to ride it" I've never had problems.
i wasnt exactly easy on mine, of course i had always had used stuff till i bought the ol 400. i bought mine in O.K. so before i could arrage a pickup, my dad had already let a guy borrow it to gather cattle. i have no idea how hard he ran it. mine in 100% stock form would out run a piped and jetted 400. but who knows, maybe he was a bad rider.

hondafox440
06-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
I love that dude's comment on slow breakin in....he says, Ive seen an engine break in drawn out for so long, it needed to be rebuilt when it was broke in.

Glamis

Thats like my neighbor. He has been 'breaking his KFX in' since he got it in November. He has gone through like 5 tanks of gas with it, but it still isn't broken in. :rolleyes:

twisted threads
06-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
gettin on the throttle and "beating" on it are 2 different things.

Thats what I was thinking also. My quads have always ran great and I have had NO problems at all. (MOTOTUNE DUDE SAID NOT TO DO THIS) >>>>> Right off the get go I always let the bike Heat up really good then I let it cool. Then I go for a long ride and try to stop every once in a while and let it cool down. I don't Beat on the bike but I dont go slow either. Next time I break my bike in I won't heat cycle the bike, I will just let it heat up then go for a ride.

nastynotchback1
06-17-2003, 02:12 PM
when i first got mine i broke it in on the back tires.when i got the high comp piston i broke it in at the track.

400exrules
06-17-2003, 04:33 PM
how do u know when its broken in

L.Vegas400
06-17-2003, 08:44 PM
when you are tired of going slow and dont care what happens you just want to go fast.

dhines
06-19-2003, 02:30 AM
Yeah, I've always followed the path of breaking in an engine VERY slowly and carefully. Mototune and others have persuaded me otherwise. My next engine rebuild will be broken in hard!