PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Sidewinders Sprockets???

on z throttle
06-16-2003, 01:27 PM
I am courious if Sidewinders are as good as they say they are? They said theirs are ballanced and last longer...... They are very helpful with info........But I want quality :)

modracer5
06-16-2003, 01:58 PM
i have almost a year on my set of chain and sprockets and have been very pleased with them. very nice pieces. oh yea i have the titanium sprockets and chain. i pratice every week and race as often as i can. they are lighter than my old sunstar sprockes and rk chain but not sure if i would buy the same ones as they are pretty expensivend i'm not sure i noticed the diffrence i was told to expect. but i will buy sidwinder when the time comes to replace what i have.

MOFO
06-16-2003, 02:01 PM
When my one buddy had his Raptor, he bought the whole kit from Sidewinder (both sprokets & chain). After 5 rides, he noticed that a few teeth broke off. :eek2: They said they would give him a new sproket, but he scrapped them for some other ones. Thats the only first hand experience I've seen... I know I wont be buying them...

bmw500hp
06-16-2003, 02:08 PM
hmmm...i have heard similar stories of "detonation". I recently went "sunstar" for my new sprockets...If totally conviced I would spring for more expensive stuff next time...

Would like to know however, What is the most durable chain available to us?????? :confused:

MOFO
06-16-2003, 02:15 PM
seems like any decent o-ring chain will do the trick. I'm using a non-o ring right now...it's coming off by the end of this summer.

Chef
06-16-2003, 02:37 PM
My sidewinder stuff works fine...run it on both bikes, one 90 HP TT machine and the other 60 hp. Work awesome!

240GNCC400
06-16-2003, 04:32 PM
I had a sidewinder one year. they told me i could run their stainless chain with their aluminum rear sprocket. i asked them about it a couple times before i bought it cause it didnt seem to me like it would last. they promised it would. i put it on and rode 30 minutes, just puttering to break in a piston. when i was done the sprocket was eat up. i called them about it and they told me i was doing something wrong and would have to buy a new sprocket(and suggested another aluminum one). and this was supposedly a sponsorship deal. i'll never buy anything from them again and would never recommend them to anyone. stick with sunstar.

on z throttle
06-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by 240GNCC400
I had a sidewinder one year. they told me i could run their stainless chain with their aluminum rear sprocket. i asked them about it a couple times before i bought it cause it didnt seem to me like it would last. they promised it would. i put it on and rode 30 minutes, just puttering to break in a piston. when i was done the sprocket was eat up. i called them about it and they told me i was doing something wrong and would have to buy a new sprocket(and suggested another aluminum one). and this was supposedly a sponsorship deal. i'll never buy anything from them again and would never recommend them to anyone. stick with sunstar. That sucks, but you say Sunstar good. I'm using renthal now, and looking for a change in brand......

XANDADA
06-17-2003, 10:01 AM
I have the titanium front/rear & o-ring chain. No sign of wear on either sprocket after about 15 hours on it. Aluminum doesn't last me any longer than 15 minutes. I'd go with Sidewinder again...

CBRSLIDER
06-17-2003, 10:13 AM
I have their ti-moly sprocket set and chain. I love them. I have raced two local xc races and one gncc and have yet to have to adjust my chain. The customer service is a little sketchy but the product has been great. I used sidewinder products back in the early 90's on my RM125, CR125, XR250, and 250X, without any complaint. Last racing season I went thru 2 sets of DID X-ring chains and sprockets. So this season I went with the sidewinder and have been nothing but happy.

Ray

FFW
06-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Sidewinder doesn't sponsor anyone. If they have thats news to a lot of people! :)

I've had an SW chain and sprockets for over a year now with minimal signs of wear. They are far superior to anything else I have used. I've noticed I've had to adjust my chain far less than with other chains/sprockets.

Yes they are more expensive than other sets but thats ok because I am paying less in the long run with a more durable chain/sprocket set up.

I'm sold on them.

on z throttle
06-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info. It seems to be alot of mixxed opinions, but it also seems most of you would buy Sidewinders.It's like you either lovem or hatem, I'm not sure yet on what I'll go with though.:confused:

CBRSLIDER
06-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Sidewinder doesn't sponsor anyone. If they have thats news to a lot of people!

If you are refering to ME then I'm sorry if you are reading my sponsorship listings and misunderstanding me. They offer me great rider SUPPORT which they do offer to racers. I receive a great discount and consider that a sponsorship. Sorry if you are reading too much into the sponsorship. The list is just to say a little thanks to them. I have used them for quite awhile(back into the early 90's) and will continue to use them. I was strapped for cash last year and didn't buy their products and paid just as much if not more buying the other brands.

I was fortunate enough to receive their support this year and would have bought their product regardless. The sprockets are great quality and so are the chains. I recently cracked my swingarm and I credit my chain for holding the rear together. The crack moved the alignment from straight between the two sprockets to off center, but the chain did not stretch. It held together like a champ. But... Just my two cents.

Ray

bmw500hp
06-17-2003, 12:59 PM
yes, there are mixed opinions! and it seems it's always that way when a product makes above average claims...(not flaming). One has to almost agree to disagree.

I am thinking that I have a collection of sunstar sprockets and goof around with the gearing for various reasons..now it's time to get a new chain, why not spring for one of excellent quality. Why not spend a few more $ for the best here......

Would that be a tri-moly? or is it called something else I ask because the Sidewinder marketing message is unclear to me :confused: thnx

CBRSLIDER
06-17-2003, 01:05 PM
I have the ti-moly chain. I have seen them refered to as quadramax ti-moly. But when I ordered mine I just asked for a ti-moly atv chain for my EX.

Ray

bmw500hp
06-17-2003, 01:19 PM
thanks ray, much appreciated!

FFW
06-17-2003, 02:01 PM
Hey CBR, no biggie. I do know they made a very big point to tell me they never sponsor anyone which is why I was questioning it. If they started providing $$ to racers, thats cool too.

Support, thats a different story of course. Glad they can offer assistance.

You're right though I too would buy their products no matter what.

:)