PDA

View Full Version : Need Jetting Help

Jekyl_22
06-16-2003, 10:23 AM
I have a 440ex with 11:1 compression, WB Track Cam, K&N Air Filter, no airbox lid, and a (very) free flowing silencer. I know I am running very lean right now, but I have no clue where to even begin jetting. It is at pretty much stock jetting, I'm a retard .....please help.:huh

northeast400
06-16-2003, 02:30 PM
buy a FCR carb or an Edelbrock

timewass
06-16-2003, 03:15 PM
buy a FCR carb or an Edelbrock

Um... that's still not going to help if they are jetted the same way. You can jet your carb. You should probably start by bumping up your main 5 or 6 sizes then check your plug. Then work on your pilot and needle if you need to. Jetting is a very tricky and long process at times. Don't get frustrated with it, just work at it. Oh... and it will be much easier on you if you only make one change at a time then test.

GETSOME
06-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Buy about ten main jet sizes larger than what is in it - not really that expensive and my local shop lets me take back the ones I don't need.

1. Put the largest main jet in first. Fire it up and take it out for a spin. It will crap out on the top end because its too rich - knowing this is half the battle.

2. Go down one main jet size at a time and take it for a test ride each time. Stop when you reach the main jet size where it does not crap out on the top end and runs strong.

If you really want to protect your investment you have to be absolutly certain that it is running rich first. Then work your way down to the correct jetting.

Hope I helped, it took me a long time to realize this simple logic :p

JATV250
06-16-2003, 04:11 PM
check your plug after you jet it each time you run it. if it's black it's too rich. if it's white it's too lean, and if it's brown it's good. mabey that will help you out.

Jekyl_22
06-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to start jetting it today.

Jekyl_22
06-18-2003, 06:50 AM
Ok, I put in a different main jet and pilot jet. Now, when I start it, it revs out when it's idling. Why is it idling SOO high?

timewass
06-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Sounds like something it stuck or you need to turn the idle down.