PDA

View Full Version : serious shock linkage problems

Paul400ex2002
06-16-2003, 08:37 AM
guys, what in the hell would cause this to happen twice in 2 weeks?

both times it's happened the rear shock got bottomed pretty hard, but still, that's not a part that has ever broken before. Even August hasn't broken one.

there's the one that broke first...
http://ridingarizona.com/forum/uploaded/paul400ex/2003635334_107-0799_IMG.JPG
and here's what the bike looks like now...
http://ridingarizona.com/forum/uploaded/Paul400ex/2003616205132_1.JPG

06-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Does the Skid plate stop any of the linkage movement???

I"ve seen that only happen a few times and I still don't see how it's happening. I'd check over all bearings in the rear end. It appears as if something is getting in a serious BIND and that linkage is the weak spot that's taken the abuse:( Maybe get your shock rebuilt..it sounds like your pushing the rearend well beyond it's limits...:confused:

Good luck..:)

Pappy
06-16-2003, 09:06 AM
looks like the lingage is rubbing....atleast in the first pic. not good dude....:(

RIjon
06-16-2003, 09:21 AM
I think Rico nailed it

Sounds like the Shock isn't absorbing all the 'SHOCK'

What have you done to the Compression/rebound ajustments ans the preload?

Are there any impact marks anywhere on the rest of the linkage or the skidplate?

Clearly the system isn't functioning like it should

Mitch400EX
06-16-2003, 09:34 AM
The exact same thing happened to me last year. It even broke in the same place. It happened on a really hard landing. When I took the linkage apart I found the little metal collars inside the linkage bearings were cracked and not spinning freely. I'm not sure if this is what caused it to break but I replaced all of the collars that were cracked and greased the bearings. The bolt that holds the linkage pieces together wasn't perfectly straight, I also replaced this. Haven't had problems since and I've had plenty of hard landings. Make sure your skid isn't rubbing the linkage when you press down on the rear end. Check the upper rear shock mount bolt too, it could be bent.

Paul400ex2002
06-16-2003, 09:54 AM
i don't think it's the bearings, seeing as i jsut had a pivot works kit put in it after it broke the first time. I think you guys nailed it on that fact the it's rubbing something cause the other linkage part was like scratched. It's at the shop now and they're gonna fix it up nice for me.

I'm also going to get my rear rebuilt more than likely.

rossano
06-17-2003, 11:06 AM
'sup fellas

ok, i just took off the skidplate that i bought the bike used with
(i think it was a light-duty ac or dg swingarm skid), to replace it with a new PRM skid. when I took off the old one, I noticed two things: 1- there was a considerable wearing-down of aluminum on the inside (upper) surface of the skid plate just where the lower shock linkage is, and
2- the lower shock linkage looked ovaled instead of rounded, looking as if the rubbing on the skid plate wasn't such a one-way rubbin'.

when i threw on the new PRM skid, there was slight contact in this same area. ok, now is my linkage gonna crack too? why is there such a rubbing problem?

ps-why are people difficult. PRM could have used 10, 12 or 14mm socket sizes for their bolts but they choose standard (or a close-but-not-perfect-fitting 13mm) doh!

thanks for any input

Chef
06-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Take the skid off after you fix it this time, and go do the exact same jumps again. See if it breaks. If it does, beat the skid out with a hammer till it clears it by a good amount. :D

Chanman420q
06-17-2003, 11:39 AM
lmao

or get a skid plate that clears it.........

250rpilot
06-17-2003, 11:44 AM
it looks to me that your shock is bottoming out so hard that the linkage cant take it.

the rubmarks are on top of his dogbone, so it wouldnt be the skid making the problem (i dont think)

when you get your new one, remove the shock and put the linkage in and functional. then watch what happens as your lift up on your swingarm with the quad jacked up in the air. see what might be hitting.

JHF219
06-17-2003, 12:47 PM
been there done that i removed my skid and havent ran one since mine didnt break but it was rubbing like and SOB and since i only run MX i decided i didnt need one i carry the skid with me to the tracks and if the track looks a little to severe i throw it on otherwise i dont run one !! most of them do rub from what im finding !!

06-17-2003, 01:05 PM
I have a PRM skid too but I remove it before doing any MX or serious jumping not because of me fearing the linkage will break but there's no reason for it to be on there.

I'd say leave the skid off when your not on the trails and see what happens..:cool:

bmw500hp
06-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I have a PRM skid too but I remove it before doing any MX or serious jumping not because of me fearing the linkage will break but there's no reason for it to be on there.

I'd say leave the skid off when your not on the trails and see what happens..:cool:

lol, this is the 6th entry i filed on how you transition your quad from mx to xc...you go through a lot dude..