PDA

View Full Version : I Hate My R

airheadedduner
06-16-2003, 06:11 AM
Runs freakin awesome for like 5 min then starts missing and fauls the plug. I never got to ride if for 10 min at a time. Anyone have any ideas cause I am stumped. Right now I am running mild porting, cr gasket, lrd pip, k&N, carbon reads and 35mm PWK with 40 pilot, dej needle on the middle position, and 160 main.

wilkin250r
06-16-2003, 06:19 AM
Sounds like you're jetting a little rich.

pnut420
06-16-2003, 06:23 AM
So whats happening is you have power up till like 5,000 rpm or when the motor is under a load. Most likely you are jetted way to rich. The warmer is gets the worse off you will be. My blaster did this. (I know blasters suck, I have a 400 now)

YZROOSTINYA
06-16-2003, 06:33 AM
gsket could be leaking

there is a leak someplace

pnut420
06-16-2003, 06:43 AM
I dont think he has a leak, more like jetting to me. My blaster was bone stock, I just had the carb adjusted way off. It would start great, run good until 4th, 5th gear or when under a load, was actually faster off the line, then it would die off.

pnut420
06-16-2003, 06:46 AM
Oh and carbs have been known to get dirty when you rebuild your engine and they set there. Sometimes a little piece of dirt could clog the carb. Does it back fire alot?

Narly R
06-16-2003, 08:02 AM
Or maybe its not gettinh gas but well it has to be if it fauling plugs, even if it was jetted too high it wouldnt run good then not I think. Thats really hard to tell!!!:confused: How come your runnin a 35mm carb? Wasnt stock on the TRX's 36? Mine was, you maybe need a bigger carb? You dont want to go smaller in the get for a long time!! Cause maybe theres a nother problem and if you go smaller in the jet it would fix it but then you would eventually blow up ur engine! Do you see what I mean? But is there any other info you could give? What elevation are you at?

twisted threads
06-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Try moveing your needle down one notch. (move your clip up) My R was doing the same thing last year. Like pnut420 said the warmer it is outside the richer the bike gets. :cool:

XANDADA
06-16-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
How come your runnin a 35mm carb? Wasnt stock on the TRX's 36?

Stock was a 34. Your 35 should be fine, but I agree sounds like your jetting is way off. Once you fix that you won't let that R leave your side...

pnut420
06-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Yeah at Pismo, when it was like 95+ out and the blaster would go all out for 5 minutes straight it would load up like crazy and foul the plugs, clean the plugs it was fine, then they fouled. Its surprising how much jetting being off can affect the way it runs, especially in a two stroke.

airheadedduner
06-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Like I said, first 5 minutes it runs awesome and it revs clean from top to bottom, power through the whole rev range. Don't miss, skip, bog, cut out, ect... The carb is clean, I put it on after the rebuild. I am starting to think it is burning tranny oil or the floats are too low.

I was running out at florence-sea level.

pnut420
06-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Like I said, first 5 minutes it runs awesome and it revs clean from top to bottom, power through the whole rev range. Don't miss, skip, bog, cut out, ect... The carb is clean, I put it on after the rebuild. I am starting to think it is burning tranny oil or the floats are too low.

I was running out at florence-sea level.

Your floats shouldnt be to low, but check that out, if it was your floats why would it run good then start bogging after 5 minutes, a plug may load up in 5 minutes from jetting being off, but its doubtful that its from the float and I sure hope its not burning trannie fluid.

jamiesel
06-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Sounds to me like the coil. I have had it happen to an r and a pilot. Some times they freik out when they warm up. Could also be the main or a cracked reed finaly fouling the plug.

If we hit the Oregon dunes at the same time. I would gladly let you use my coil to see.

JATV250
06-18-2003, 02:41 PM
it sounds like the stator is getting hot after riding and the spark is getting weak as it gets hot.

airheadedduner
06-19-2003, 04:42 AM
:ermm:

Freashly rewound stator I just bought off 2'Rs not long ago, I don't think it is that. I have my old one still which tested good, I will throw that in there and see what it does. I have swapped electrical components(cdi, coil, ect..) from my 2 friends perfectly running R's and still same problem.

I ment floats too high. If the floats where too high it would cause the problem simalar to the leaking needle seat problem that happens to stock R carbs. After looking at the plug it has got to be a leaking mainseal. It is not wet fouling like you normally see with way rich jetting, it is carbon'd up bad and really heavy.

I need to fix this in a hurry so I can sell the damn thing, I am tired of it pissing me off:mad: :scary:

Stevie-D
06-19-2003, 05:42 AM
I Hate My R
i'll be happy to take it off of your hands for ya:D

airheadedduner
06-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
i'll be happy to take it off of your hands for ya:D
It is for sale, as of yesterday there is now a 440EX in my garage taht needs to be paid off:cool:

06-22-2003, 09:58 AM
:confused: