PDA

View Full Version : Going to Moses Lake...Do I need my dirt tires and my sand tires?

08-09-2001, 02:24 AM
I am going to Moses Lake for the first time next week, and was wondering if I needed to bring my dirt tires. I know that there are sand dunes, but I didn't know if there were also dirt trail amongst the sand.
Thanks!

WyoDuner
08-09-2001, 08:29 PM
I've never been there but fromthe pics on the web I've seen of that place it looks like you are better off with your dirt tires. Doesn't look like a lot of sand, no hills and a lot of dirt. That's just what I know from pictures though.

Wheelie
08-10-2001, 08:53 AM
Take your paddles!!

08-10-2001, 10:45 AM
Wheelie, do I only need to take my paddles, or are my dirt tires needed as well?

Wheelie
08-10-2001, 08:36 PM
I have been there a handful of times and never took my dirt tires once. Personally I would take my paddles only, JMHO. It's 99%+ dunes, you would have a lot more fun with paddles. Have fun!!

FlyinRed
08-11-2001, 12:34 AM
Only bring the dirts if you think you'll break your paddles. It's sand, just a bit dirtier. Remember a few years back when that stupid mountain blew up. It was DIRTY. I might be out there sun?mon. Should I look for you? I'll be riding with Banshee's:macho and rollin in a 85 subburban. It's pimp.

08-11-2001, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys. I'll just bring my paddles then.
I'll be there on Thursday through Sunday, so I won't see you there. I can't wait to go riding again!! It has been over a month!!

08-12-2001, 12:19 PM
I go to Moses Lake once a month, and I use my sand skates there. If I had haulers I wouldn't use them there because there is a lot of debree in the sand, like glass that might rip of my paddles. If I were you I would first stop at the beverly dunes just past ellensburg, it's tough to be a moses for that long of time.

08-12-2001, 02:13 PM
I have angled paddles, too. Have you ever had any problems with the glass or anything messing up your sand skates? I really can't stop at the beverly dunes because we are going with some other family, and they don't have quads. We weren't really planning on riding all of those days, anyway.
Thanks

08-12-2001, 10:45 PM
Out of my 4-5 years riding there, I have had only one flat tire. You should be fine. Go have fun. Keep an eye on your filter, kinda dusty with that ash.

08-13-2001, 11:28 AM
Okay, thanks. I'll keep that filter oiled up and use an outerwear and keep the airbox lid on. That should do it!

carlj75
08-28-2001, 09:38 AM
Whats a better place to ride? Beverly or Mosses Lake? And how do they compare to Florence?

08-28-2001, 11:37 AM
The way beverly is set-up, it's a small place clean sand one meduim size hill, and a lot of places for jumping. It is very scenic right along a creek, I still keep trying to find a place where I can jump the creek. Beverly is a fun place but the most I could ride there is 2 days straight.
Now moses lake is a lot bigger, like 3 times the size of beverly, but the sand is really dirty from the ash thats mixed in the sand. No really big dunes, some steep hills on the beach, and a lot of drop offs. Over all moses lake is better than beverly, but not by much.
Now compared to florence, they both suck! Florence is the best place I have ever ridden. I would rather going riding at sand lake then go to moses.

carlj75
08-28-2001, 12:43 PM
Where is Sand Lake?

08-28-2001, 02:41 PM
Sandlake is right by tilimook Oregon, about 3 hours closer than Florence. It good clean oregon sand right on the coast, one huge dune, and a lot of tree line hills, where you can't get a run at them. A very fun place to ride.

08-28-2001, 06:14 PM
Well, Moses Lake was really fun! The only thing I wish would have been different was the amazingly ashy sand. I haven't gotten a chance to clean the quads since we got back, so the ash is still caked on. Other than that, it was really cool. There were hardly any people there, which was good, because we brought along one of my brother's friends who had never ridden a quad before. Luckily, he caught on right off the bat and was keeping up with my dad. Thanks for all of your help and I am glad that I brought my paddles. They were definitely needed.
Oh, and Sand Lakes is a great place to ride. I have only been there once, but it is extremely clean sand when compared to Moses Lake, and is alot of fun. I have yet to ride the 400ex at Florence. I rented a crappy Polaris 250 automatic quad when I was last there, but that just sucked.