PDA

View Full Version : Oil help PLEASE READ

300eXTraILRyDeR
06-15-2003, 02:50 PM
I know oil questions are all over this board but I cannot find 1 to directly answer my question...

I have a 300 with a built valve train, IE hardend rockers Webcam.
Most of this stuff is pretty fresh and I want to keep it in the best shape I can.
The weather is VERY hot here and my quad does run pretty hot.

What weight oil would give me the protection I want???
I was thinking a semi synthetic oil would be decent.
Right now My valve train is making some noise and my clutch is feeling "tight" or worn. I want my motor to quite down and I do want my clutch to smooth out.

My oil is past due for the changing and I want to know what ever you can tell me to keep this thing protected.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry for the long post.

JOEX
06-15-2003, 03:15 PM
I can't give you any specifics on your set up, just opinions and they could be wrong:p

First off, if you're so concerned about keeping your quad in the best shape why are you late changing the oil? No flame intended;)

I can't comment on synthetic oil but I run 20/50 in the summer and 10/40 in the cooler times.

IMO if you change your oil and filter on a regular basis it doesn't matter what brand it is. I change mine when the color starts to change.

Of couse if you have a built motor and race, opinions may be different.

If your motor was recently rebuilt you might want check the valve adjustments.

Joe

QuadTrix6
06-15-2003, 10:56 PM
if its all broken in already then try some Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic.

300eXTraILRyDeR
06-16-2003, 07:33 AM
The oil in it is used pretty well, but I dont ride it so last time I parked it (2 weeks ago) i ment to change the oil and I havent I went for a short ride yesterday and I forgot... my valvetrail seemed to get noticable locder but I think its because I was running 10w30 oil and it was really hot yesterday.... Im going to be sure to never do that again... Thanks for the help I am going to use the Mobil 1

2000400EX
06-16-2003, 01:47 PM
I myself just switched to Mobil 1 15w-50 over the weekend and after messing around in the back yard I can already tell a difference in the valvetrain noise, it's quieted down quite a bit. I don't have a REAL riding time on the oil yet, but I can already tell this is going to be some good oil to use. I also trust Mobile 1 synthetic in my truck, so I figured why not use it in my quad?

I'd go a head and use it, I don't think you'll regret it.;)

bmw500hp
06-22-2003, 11:15 AM
the argument regarding synthetic oil is favorable to "mostly" all of the engine but disfavor the clutch. Clutch problems being progressive. Many swear by synthetics. TC say quote " We shy away from synthetics" for reasons of clutch particles.

IMOA I haven't left Honda 20w50 yet.

not flaming anyone...just a 2 cent add to the post....good luck with the engine though..:p

QuadTrix6
06-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
the argument regarding synthetic oil is favorable to "mostly" all of the engine but disfavor the clutch.

The mobil 1 does not have any friction modifiers so it will not slip the clutch.

300eXTraILRyDeR
06-22-2003, 01:34 PM
I put in mobil 1 last week, havent rode it yet though.

Chanman420q
06-22-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
if its all broken in already then try some Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic.

io just bought 2 quarts tonight for my 400. I was running clutch savor.. but my dealer told me it was only made to lube the clutch and the gears....... not the top end. So it was asking the oil to do more than it was made to do. Which kinda freaked me out, cuz thats whats keeping my 4g machine running. I need an ew oil filter before i can try out this mobile 1 stuff, but so far everyone seems to like it