PDA

View Full Version : more XC tips

dirtriderex
06-15-2003, 11:46 AM
I have rode 3 Hare scramles and only finished 1, both times I clipped a tree and bent a rim or tie rod. Well I need a new wheel now and am wondering if stock is the best. What other suggestions do you have, besides don't hit a tree. THANKS

Bill Fuller
06-15-2003, 11:54 AM
A stock Honda rim is very strong.Check your toe in to make sure your wheels are not pointing out.A stearing dampener will help keep the bike in a straight line and make the shocks do thier job.When riding the tight stuff try to concentrate on one side of the bike making it through instead of looking at the center,even more so if there is already a line through.Stick with stock tie rods also,you would much rather bend a five dollar tie rod than an a-arm.

mbiigambler
06-15-2003, 03:38 PM
dirtriderex,
Did you race at Foxvalley this weekend?

JOEX
06-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
A stock Honda rim is very strong.Check your toe in to make sure your wheels are not pointing out.A stearing dampener will help keep the bike in a straight line and make the shocks do thier job.When riding the tight stuff try to concentrate on one side of the bike making it through instead of looking at the center,even more so if there is already a line through.Stick with stock tie rods also,you would much rather bend a five dollar tie rod than an a-arm.

Good advice....But you can't do a damn thing about those trees that jump out in front of you! LOL!:devil:

Joe

markeg192
06-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Look down the trail and not at your tires. Once you run your practice lap you know you will fit so just trust that. And NEVER look at a tree,look at where your going.

joshyz125
06-15-2003, 06:27 PM
i have a few tips,
1. When your going between 2 trees if there's already a trail between them you know the quad is probably going to fit, Concentrate on only one of your tires, and get that one tire as close to the tree as possible, if your as close to one tree as you can get, the other tire is going to clear.

2. Dont' run 100% through a wooded section of a hare scramble track. 2 reasons, first is if you go as hard as you can, and back off a little, you will have better control over your quad, and also it helps pace yourself to last the entire race.

3. Finishing the race is the hardest part of the entire race, figure out how to finish and the speed will come in time.

dirtriderex
06-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the tips i'll have to practice, I think I was just pushing my self too far. Mbiigambler, Yeah I raced, did you show up?

Doibugu2
06-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Got some questions about Ottawa.

How long of a race was it?
Did you race the whole park or just sections?
How many people were there?

Sorry for all the questions, but looking to race again.

dirtriderex
06-16-2003, 11:24 AM
You mean wedron, close by ottawa. It's a very well organized track and each hare for quads is a hour long. The track changes each race. This time the track had mud pits, stream crossings, and hills very fun. It was quite a turn out too, maybe 25-30 + quads. they have another in 3 weeks.:D

250x#93
06-16-2003, 12:51 PM
I wanna race xc:cool:

mbiigambler
06-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey dirtriderex,
I didn't make it - how did you do? Did you meet up with any other exriders? What did it cost ya? DoIbugu2, you going to make the next race at foxvalley?

dirtriderex
06-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Mbiigambler, a kid with a connodale was supposed to show but I did not see him. All was going good until I pushed my self too far trying to pass a rider and clipped a tree. The rim bent and I had a flat,:grr: it cost $5 to get in and 30 to race. I'm for sure going to the next race. Have you been out to Casey, how far a drive is it?

mbiigambler
06-17-2003, 02:07 AM
sent you a pm.

RoadkillerRyan
06-17-2003, 01:00 PM
i am scard of huge hill all the time, but only once have i flipped down one :huh well is there any tips on hillclimbs?

dirtriderex
06-17-2003, 01:34 PM
one thing i learned while at the badlands is keep the engine reving high and no matter what don't stop. keep your weight on the front end and when there is a log blocking you on a steep hill pull up your front up end over the log using mostly your arms and let your rear do the climbing over the log to avoid flipping.

GNCC#829
06-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RoadkillerRyan
i am scard of huge hill all the time, but only once have i flipped down one :huh well is there any tips on hillclimbs?

Momentum!;)

ILGNCC400EX
06-18-2003, 05:52 AM
NEVER Go the WAY that the guy with the Beer and Video

camea is pointing!!!!!:D

BUCK442
06-18-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
NEVER Go the WAY that the guy with the Beer and Video

camea is pointing!!!!!:D LMAO. Thats the truth!!!:D