PDA

View Full Version : carb or timing problems....please help

red-ryder400ex
06-15-2003, 09:41 AM
i recently put new rings in my 400 and after putting it all back together when i started it it would idle smoothly, but when you give it gas it starts to sputter. i took the air box tube off of the carb and it would rev like normal up but gas was coming out of the back of it. the tube is not clogged and the filter is clean. i don't know if it is the carb or the timing, please help!

RED121572
06-15-2003, 10:39 AM
I feel your pain:(

Im in the process of tuning my newly built 435. Ive got ten hours on the motor so far. Last saturday, all I did was replace a main jet. Sunday, I loaded up and drove an hour and a half to Raush Creek. By magic, the bike was cranky and didnt want to idle that day. Being so muddy, It was impossible to work on the bike there. Had to load it up and haul it back.

I yanked off the carb, took it all apart, cleaned all the partz really well and reseated the screw 2 1/2 turns out.

Running it around the yard today, I think its fixed.

Anyrate, I would personally take the carb off and clean it real well. Reset the screw as I did. If that doesnt work and you feel that it is a timing problem, then remove your valve cover and check the timing.

Good luck and let us know it works out.